Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof wont go down without a push and I have a wobbly knob!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Gouldie

Post by Gouldie » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:26 pm

Hello!
Bought my 2.0i e85 about a week ago from a dealer who fit it with a new roof motor.
When the roof starts going down it unlatches and then stops, I can hear the motor trying to move it but I think it gets caught on the roll bar so won't move without a push
Also, my gear stick rotates like it's on a bearing and doesn't seem to tighten whichever way I turn it
I have a couple months full warranty left so fixing it will be free, as a new Z4 driver is there anything else I should look out for?

Thanks!!! :thumbsup:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:47 pm

Gouldie wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:26 pmHello!
Bought my 2.0i e85 about a week ago from a dealer who fit it with a new roof motor.
When the roof starts going down it unlatches and then stops, I can hear the motor trying to move it but I think it gets caught on the roll bar so won't move without a push
Also, my gear stick rotates like it's on a bearing and doesn't seem to tighten whichever way I turn it
I have a couple months full warranty left so fixing it will be free, as a new Z4 driver is there anything else I should look out for?

Thanks!!! :thumbsup:
Hi, the 2.0 e85 can be prone to the eml being triggered-best drive it for a while to see if anything crops up (after you’ve had the known problems sorted out first)
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:47 pm

Assuming that the main roof motor is the one that has been replaced and the fluid level is fine then it sounds like the front catches are sticking slightly. I'd check they are clean and no one has put a thick grease on them, which rather than lube them actually causes them to stick (seen that before). I'd also use a suitable lube on all the visable hinges/pivot points of the roof just in case any of them are slightly seized etc.

Gearknob wise they just push on and pull of, with a bit of force. Sounds like yours is broken internally. Easiest option is to just replace it with a good secondhand or new one. The ZHP is a popular upgrade if you've got a manual. Got one on mine and it gives a much nicer feel (leather) and gear change (due to its extra weight). They're about £60 new.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)