Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Instrument Cluster Replacement - Coding/Programming Help!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
jesseicp

Post by jesseicp » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:46 am

I'm losing my mind here! Can someone tell me what I need to do to fix this issue:

This cluster is a replacement cluster that I purchased on eBay. The model number is different from my original cluster. I sent out the cluster, DME and EWS to a service on eBay and had the mileage adjusted and everything synced. There is no tamp dot, the car starts and gauges work. Everything is good to go, other than the fact that these lights stay illuminated.

When the syncing work was done, they told me I'd need to reprogram the cluster since the part numbers weren't the same. I didn't get to this right away because I was repainting the car and now that I'm ready to troubleshoot this issue, the guy isn't responding to me on eBay.

I need some help. Can anyone tell me how to code/program this cluster to get it fully functional in my car? I have INPA, WinKFP, NCS Expert, Progman and DIS all set up and communicating with the car properly, but I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to get this accomplished using the tools.

I'd be happy to kick someone $20 just for some info!!! :)

bladeowner

Post by bladeowner » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:27 am

Not sure this is any help but I used Progman to program a used GM5 module to my car.
This shaky video gave me enough info of how to do it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4qfRK2RJ-8
If you look at 3:23 in the video you can see Kombi in the list. I believe this is the Instrument Cluster. Perhaps the principle is the same?

The only issue I had was my version of Progman had a bug where the battery voltage was repoted as too low and wouldn't continue. I found another version that worked.
2004 Sapphire Black 2.5 SE Z4 SMG

jesseicp

Post by jesseicp » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:45 am

bladeowner wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:27 amNot sure this is any help but I used Progman to program a used GM5 module to my car.
This shaky video gave me enough info of how to do it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4qfRK2RJ-8
If you look at 3:23 in the video you can see Kombi in the list. I believe this is the Instrument Cluster. Perhaps the principle is the same?

The only issue I had was my version of Progman had a bug where the battery voltage was repoted as too low and wouldn't continue. I found another version that worked.
Thanks for your reply! I tried using Progman to recode the Kombi, but had no success doing this either. It coded successfully, but the lights still remain.

I also had the low voltage issue with Progman when I installed it. I found a tutorial on how to fix it back when I set this laptop up with the software and it's been all good since.

Thanks again for the reply!

bladeowner

Post by bladeowner » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:53 am

Thanks. I hope someone else can help you.
2004 Sapphire Black 2.5 SE Z4 SMG

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:33 pm

Daft question OP but have you actually started the car or indeed run it around the block. It may sort itself out as you always get a ton of lights after a lack of power etc.
Other than that if you have programmed it correctly could you have a faulty used part. Or as the part is a different part number, is there a compatibility issue. I'm not sure that all clocks are actually compatible with each other, for example autos to manuals or m54 cars to n52 or n42 engined ones. Have you checked on realoem what car the replacement was originally fitted to?
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

jesseicp

Post by jesseicp » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:11 pm

MACK wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:33 pm Daft question OP but have you actually started the car or indeed run it around the block. It may sort itself out as you always get a ton of lights after a lack of power etc.
Other than that if you have programmed it correctly could you have a faulty used part. Or as the part is a different part number, is there a compatibility issue. I'm not sure that all clocks are actually compatible with each other, for example autos to manuals or m54 cars to n52 or n42 engined ones. Have you checked on realoem what car the replacement was originally fitted to?
Actually, after coding yesterday, later in the night when I went to the gym, I took it its first drive. When I got a block down the road, the dash lights in question went out (the ones that should stay on, like the backlight, etc. stayed on.) After about 15 seconds, they all came back. This morning, I recoded Kombi using Progman again and the same thing happened. The lights went out shortly and then came back upon test drive.

Realoem doesn't have this listed as a standard replacement part for the car. At this point, I'm nearly sure that the issue here is a software version mismatch. I think I probably need to recode the module with WinKFP to use the software version that the car is meant to use if I want it to work, but unfortunately, I'm not sure how to do that. When I used WinKFP in the past to flash my DME, I was able to do it through Comfortmode, making it easy enough for me as a novice. When I try to use it to flash the Kombi, that module doesn't appear in my list for Comfortmode and I'm not skilled enough to use Expert Mode without a tutorial.

Though the part number is a mismatch on Realoem, I was told that all of these clusters can be made to work with any Z4 that can interface with them. The software just has to be right. Unfortunately, I can't find any information that can help me on the journey to getting the software version right.

Thanks again for your reply!

Mchatelier

Post by Mchatelier » Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:37 pm

I appreciate that this is a 10 year old post but I have to replace my cluster and have been advised it must be the same part number. Are there any go to places to get a new/replacement instrument cluster. The data can be transferred over I'm told but I need to source a replacement, many thanks for any help all.