Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Lower suspension bolt sheared - garages near Hertford?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
thecremeegg

Post by thecremeegg » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:40 pm

So brought my car to a friends house (90 miles from home!) to swap my springs over, however the lower bolt on the strut at the front has sheared - not good!

Anyone got any recommendations for garages near Hertford/Welwyn at all?!

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:38 pm

I assume you mean the bolt that secures the hub to the bottom of the strut?

They will drill out - takes a little time and some good drill bits - this problem and some good drill bits were discussed a few weeks back so a quick forum search should find it.

Depending how handy you are; and if you can get home and don't need the car for a day or two you might consider buying a hub of ebay or and fitting it or getting an indi to fit a second hand one. Can you reassemble the car enough to get it home if you consider that the bolt is locked tight and will not undo on the journey.

Depends how deep your pockets are. You might want to replace or drill out yourself or buy even buy new because any garage is going to charge £50 - £70 an hour to drill the bolt out - if they can be bothered to take the job.

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:40 pm

thecremeegg wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:40 pmSo brought my car to a friends house (90 miles from home!) to swap my springs over, however the lower bolt on the strut at the front has sheared - not good!

Anyone got any recommendations for garages near Hertford/Welwyn at all?!
This was the thread I was thinking of:

https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=103072

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:55 pm

Surely anyone willing will do?
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:58 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:55 pmSurely anyone willing will do?
Don't know if there are any forum members close - I think I'm a bit too far away to help

thecremeegg

Post by thecremeegg » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:42 pm

Crazy Harry wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:38 pmI assume you mean the bolt that secures the hub to the bottom of the strut?

They will drill out - takes a little time and some good drill bits - this problem and some good drill bits were discussed a few weeks back so a quick forum search should find it.

Depending how handy you are; and if you can get home and don't need the car for a day or two you might consider buying a hub of ebay or and fitting it or getting an indi to fit a second hand one. Can you reassemble the car enough to get it home if you consider that the bolt is locked tight and will not undo on the journey.

Depends how deep your pockets are. You might want to replace or drill out yourself or buy even buy new because any garage is going to charge £50 - £70 an hour to drill the bolt out - if they can be bothered to take the job.
I've reassembled the car however there is technically nothing holding the suspension in at the bottom. Not sure if I could nurse it back?

I was thinking about the new hub idea, might be the easier option to be honest. I see there's on on ebay

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:56 pm

thecremeegg wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:42 pmNot sure if I could nurse it back?
If it flips out of the knuckle you'll total your car. the wheel will collaps under the wheelwell, possibly ripping the suspension arms out of your chassis. Thats obviously not a safe situation.

Also there's a chance that the locating pin on the shock breaks, as now with steering that takes steering force (for example due to the caster angle). Normally the shock is clamped in the knuckle, so that pin takes zero force.

Oh and if you decide to go driving with it, disconnect the front swaybar.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

thecremeegg

Post by thecremeegg » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:20 am

GuidoK wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:56 pm
thecremeegg wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:42 pmNot sure if I could nurse it back?
If it flips out of the knuckle you'll total your car. the wheel will collaps under the wheelwell, possibly ripping the suspension arms out of your chassis. Thats obviously not a safe situation.

Also there's a chance that the locating pin on the shock breaks, as now with steering that takes steering force (for example due to the caster angle). Normally the shock is clamped in the knuckle, so that pin takes zero force.

Oh and if you decide to go driving with it, disconnect the front swaybar.
Yea I might not do that then :P

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:07 am

Apart from having no insurance and publicly advertised knowledge of a dangerous fault dumping you with 100% liability for whatever happens, driving it is the answer :P
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

thecremeegg

Post by thecremeegg » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:15 am

It's home now, drove fine!

Only kidding, it got recovered by the RAC - took them 9 hours to get me from Hertford to Petersfield....good thing I don't pay for it!

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:45 am

Its funny that Ed' China or Ant Antstead never seem to spend half a day rectifying a stuffed bolt, I guess the language wouldn't be appropriate before the watershed :oops:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Gaffa22

Post by Gaffa22 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:21 pm

Ewazix wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:45 amIts funny that Ed' China or Ant Antstead never seem to spend half a day rectifying a stuffed bolt, I guess the language wouldn't be appropriate before the watershed :oops:
They would not pi$$ about with a sheared / seized bolt they'd just replace the part as money is of no object.

I have used the left hand twist drill bits to good effect, and of course lots of cussing and swearing. I replaced all the adjustable bolts, cams and bushes in my S2000, that involved cutting all the suspension arms out with an alligator saw, That was fun and took quite a while.
2010 E89 35i DCT
2017 Honda CBR1000RR fireblade
2016 Honda VFR1200F

thecremeegg

Post by thecremeegg » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:35 pm

If they can't get the bolt out what's the name of the part I need?

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:07 pm

If you don't urgently need the car don't bother trying to get it out. Same thing happened to me, I picked up a replacement hub second hand for £15. No chance it would have been removed for a figure even remotely near that!

The hub is the same as the E46 3 series, so there's a load of them around. Only thing that might be different is the dust shield, but you can either change that or ignore it, it doesn't get in the way of the disk anyway.