Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof button - no lights?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Hagasan

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Hagasan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:07 pm

A visit to the garage will be more than £50. You might be able to fix it with any info you glean. Look at it as an investment then you can do other things with the software later to justify the cost..

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Smartbear » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:01 pm

Jez_m wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:37 pmWas just about to buy the pro app when I saw it was £50! Wow..
I’ll prob just stick to booking it in and letting them sort out whatever the problem is now.
It’s more than that, you also need to buy the Carly obd reader for full functionality :wink:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Jez_m

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Jez_m » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:01 pm

Car been to the garage, the original roof module (ecu) was confirmed as non-functioning. Rather un-luckily, the replacement one i bought is also caput! Well, it can raise the roof once put down manually, but won't work otherwise. So, just another roof module required and normal service should be resumed.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:24 pm

Jez_m wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:01 pmCar been to the garage, the original roof module (ecu) was confirmed as non-functioning. Rather un-luckily, the replacement one i bought is also caput! Well, it can raise the roof once put down manually, but won't work otherwise. So, just another roof module required and normal service should be resumed.
Sorry, but not buying that, sounds like a fob off from the garage to me. So are they guaranteeing another "working" module will fix it? Do you know anyone with a Zed that you can try your modules in?

Mike

Jez_m

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Jez_m » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:46 pm

Well, they had 2 to try. The original was dead.. no roof action. The second, when plugged in would raise the roof but not put it down.
I've asked the breakers yard where i got the replacement if they have another.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:14 pm

Jez_m wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:46 pmWell, they had 2 to try. The original was dead.. no roof action. The second, when plugged in would raise the roof but not put it down.
I've asked the breakers yard where i got the replacement if they have another.
Sounds more like a wiring fault to me.

Mike

Jez_m

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Jez_m » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:25 pm

even though the roof closed by the button??

Jez_m

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Jez_m » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:38 pm

Replacement ECU module in and all working again! :)

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Roof button - no lights?

Post by MACK » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:48 pm

Jez_m wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:38 pm Replacement ECU module in and all working again! :)
id see how you go with it over the next few weeks and cycle the roof as much as you can. Roof module failure is rare but obviously does happen and let's hope this is the end of your wows. However a few folks (including myself) on here have had issues with breaks in the wires in the roof. This could potentially damage your module in the right circumstances and if another one goes down I'd be looking here first before replacing it again.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:04 pm

Jez_m wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:38 pm Replacement ECU module in and all working again! :)
Happy days :thumbsup:
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Jade

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Jade » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:05 am

I might be able to help, I had this when I was refurbishing my roof this past few weeks, I also needed to fix my speedo (tachometer needle would hesitate), I was getting a red flashing light all the time with the roof fully removed (so lights would work and switch would try make things work) even with everything unplugged and removed, but when I took my speedo out, no power to that switch at all (even with everything plugged in), just tried plug in my speedo and then press the button, worked with flashing lights, I suggest play with something speedo-wise if this happens again.

I think I may be right in saying I am one of the only people that had the no light problem, and then light just by plugging in the speedo again. Work from speedo fuses or wiring possibly (although I can’t see how it wouldn’t work unless you don’t have your instrument cluster in, you didn’t have it plugged in)

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Roof button - no lights?

Post by ph001 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:56 am

I bet you will end up paying a lot more than £50. It’s not a great deal of money really when you consider you can do all the coding with it too.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.