Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof button - no lights?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:49 am

Jez_m wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:56 pmSo, new roof ecu module fitted and gap-tech removes.. no joy. Top red light is just flashing away.. no action,no windows down.. nothing! Hmmmm
Isn't this a change from the original symptom of no lights?

For troubleshooting it's useful to just make one change at a time, so why not swap the roof ECU back and see if that changes anything.
I'm not sure what the behaviour is when the unlatching motor fails, I'd expect the windows to still drop.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Jez_m

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Jez_m » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:08 am

Hagasan wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:17 pmHave you checked the emergency handle (red loop) in the boot hasn't been inadvertently knocked?

Also, does the motor reservoir have sufficient oil it it? Try opening and closing the roof manually a few times..
I had pulled the red cable to manually put it down and up a few times. Is there something that needs to be done after this to put it back to auto mode?

Jez_m

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Jez_m » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:10 am

Scooba_Steve wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:49 am
Jez_m wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:56 pmSo, new roof ecu module fitted and gap-tech removes.. no joy. Top red light is just flashing away.. no action,no windows down.. nothing! Hmmmm
Isn't this a change from the original symptom of no lights?

For troubleshooting it's useful to just make one change at a time, so why not swap the roof ECU back and see if that changes anything.
I'm not sure what the behaviour is when the unlatching motor fails, I'd expect the windows to still drop.

Yes and no.. I missed that bit in my post yesterday as once i put the new ecu in and got the flashing red light I then switched the ecu back to the old one and it gave the exact same results.

Crazy Harry

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Crazy Harry » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:12 am

+1 Scooba-Steve.

Jez_m by making the changes together you've just added an unknown ECU into the mix (are these coded to the car?) and another set of connectors to it that may not be engaged correctly.

Did you use a code reader or did you just change the roof ECU anyway? What were the fault codes then or now?

Jez_m

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Jez_m » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:23 am

I’ve no idea if the roof ecus are coded to a car?!
I would have thought not. Before I tried the new ecu I fixed the wiring after removing the gap tech device. I then disconnected the battery for 20 mins and on reconnection I just had the flashing lights with no action at all. After that is when I changed the ecu over to the new one which gave the exact same results.

Which app do you guys use for fault code reading?
I tried last week and got no fault codes on the app I used.. Carly f lite

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Smartbear » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:19 am

Jez_m wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:08 am
Hagasan wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:17 pmHave you checked the emergency handle (red loop) in the boot hasn't been inadvertently knocked?

Also, does the motor reservoir have sufficient oil it it? Try opening and closing the roof manually a few times..
I had pulled the red cable to manually put it down and up a few times. Is there something that needs to be done after this to put it back to auto mode?
The cable should lock into manual mode position, it needs to be reseated into the powered position (needs twisting to do this from memory)
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Ducklakeview » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:22 am

Problem with the emergency release cable, is that the actual plunger on the pump head is brass. Because the pump body is aluminium, once it gets wet, you end up with galvanic corrosion, and the plunger either seizes in the "pushed in" position, or refuses to be pushed in at all. Both scenarios need the pump out to fix.

Mike

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:41 am

If you get the same symptoms with either ECU then seems fair to rule them out.

If I read correctly you've gone from gaptech with no lights to removing gaptech and flashing red light with no window drop or unlatch?

Mike will correct me if I'm wrong, but that doesn't sound like a motor or release cable/plunger issue.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Ducklakeview » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:47 am

Scooba_Steve wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:41 amIf you get the same symptoms with either ECU then seems fair to rule them out.

If I read correctly you've gone from gaptech with no lights to removing gaptech and flashing red light with no window drop or unlatch?

Mike will correct me if I'm wrong, but that doesn't sound like a motor or release cable/plunger issue.
Yes m8, if the Gaptech has been removed and therefore eliminated. Roof ECU's are not coded and the different part no's are interchangeable. They are a rare failure, but I carry spares for testing/substitution. I have only ever had one failed, and it was caused by an auto spark back probing it with 12v.. It DID show up on a diagnostic check, as "no communication with module"

Mike

Jez_m

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Jez_m » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:28 pm

How do you check for fault codes in the roof operation? I have an obd reader.. but can’t see anything relating to roof in any of the free apps.

Cheers

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Ducklakeview » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:40 pm

Jez_m wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:28 pmHow do you check for fault codes in the roof operation? I have an obd reader.. but can’t see anything relating to roof in any of the free apps.

Cheers
I use my Launch X431pro V3. If you only have a basic OBD reader, it it will not communicate with the other modules in the car, only the engine/emissions related ones. You either need access the the BMW software, or a decent aftermarket piece of kit.

Mike

Jez_m

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Jez_m » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:47 pm

:thumbsup: thanks. I’ll get it booked in to my local Bmw Indy

G600

Roof button - no lights?

Post by G600 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:21 pm

Jez_m wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:23 am Which app do you guys use for fault code reading?
The paid version of Carly showed my roof error (latch motor), could be worth a go, there's a list of people with it, might be someone near you.
E85 3.0

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Ducklakeview » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:26 pm

G600 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:21 pm
Jez_m wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:23 am Which app do you guys use for fault code reading?
The paid version of Carly showed my roof error (latch motor), could be worth a go, there's a list of people with it, might be someone near you.
Yes, Carly WILL read the roof module.

Mike

Jez_m

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Jez_m » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:37 pm

Was just about to buy the pro app when I saw it was £50! Wow..
I’ll prob just stick to booking it in and letting them sort out whatever the problem is now.