Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof button - no lights?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Roof button - no lights?

Post by markplant » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:53 pm

You appear to have a gaptech type device fitted, so I'd remove that an see if cures the problems, it may be a bad connection or a faulty unit
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Jez_m

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Jez_m » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:14 pm

found the torx bolt that latches the roof, so have manually tightned that down, so at least i have a fully closed roof!

CHecked the gaptech connections, all good.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Roof button - no lights?

Post by markplant » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:36 pm

Jez_m wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:14 pmfound the torx bolt that latches the roof, so have manually tightned that down, so at least i have a fully closed roof!

CHecked the gaptech connections, all good.
Are they soldered connections or the crimps that shear into the cable
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Jez_m

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Jez_m » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:56 pm

they are crimped on connections. Had a good look / feel of all of them and they seem fine. Lost the light now, but could be worth re-doing them.. although as they haven't been disturbed i would be suprised if they could just suddenly lose connection.

Had my roof motor re-located to the boot (refurbed replacement) about 2 yrs ago. Hoping it's not that already!

Just have red light flashing, no window drop down, nothing! hmmmm

Jez_m

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Jez_m » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:42 pm

Changed over micro switch to brand new replacement.. disconnected battery to reset everything... and now, no roof lights, no action... nothing!!! Hmmmm

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Smartbear » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:43 pm

Jez_m wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:42 pmChanged over micro switch to brand new replacement.. disconnected battery to reset everything... and now, no roof lights, no action... nothing!!! Hmmmm

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers
I would remove the roof module & go from there.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Jez_m

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Jez_m » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:09 pm

The one behind the passenger seat?

Haven’t checked for any fault codes yet.. maybe I’ll see if anything comes up

Crazy Harry

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Crazy Harry » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:51 pm

Before you spend any more money I would get the codes read - even if you have to pay out it could well save you money in the long run. For what its worth I disconnect the gaptech. Mechanical connections have failed for a lot of other forum members and I think a couple of members have had the gaptech units themselves fail.

Jez_m

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Jez_m » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:54 pm

I’ll get my code reader out when I’m home next, def sounds like it’s worth a check.

Gaptech.. maybe it is.. sudden failure though? The only thing still working is the remote roof lowering, after pressing the unlock three times the front motor whirs open then immediately shut again. So the gaptech is getting signal and trying to start the process... which makes me think the ecu is then not doing its bit..

Bing
Legend
Legend

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Bing » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:36 pm

I’ve got a gaptech, my roof throws a wobbly very occasionally, refusing to move on the cabin button press, needs held when it shouldn’t or flashes a red light at me. I reckon it’s a dodgy crimp connection in mine. You should definitely remove it and see if the roof works without it. And when you put it back get brave and use bullet connectors, the are much more reliable.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Smartbear » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:40 pm

Jez_m wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:09 pmThe one behind the passenger seat?

Hi, not that one I meant the gaptec unit under the ashtray, as mentioned earlier the scotch clips supplied are useless and prone to open circuits :(
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Jez_m

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Jez_m » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:24 pm

Smartbear wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:40 pm
Jez_m wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:09 pmThe one behind the passenger seat?

Hi, not that one I meant the gaptec unit under the ashtray, as mentioned earlier the scotch clips supplied are useless and prone to open circuits :(
Rob
:thumbsup:

Gaptech removal is first on the list for next Sat followed by code reading. Have also ordered a replacment roof ECU in case it's that.

Look forward to marking this topic as solved!! :D

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Roof button - no lights?

Post by MACK » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:49 pm

Bing wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:36 pmI’ve got a gaptech, my roof throws a wobbly very occasionally, refusing to move on the cabin button press, needs held when it shouldn’t or flashes a red light at me. I reckon it’s a dodgy crimp connection in mine. You should definitely remove it and see if the roof works without it. And when you put it back get brave and use bullet connectors, the are much more reliable.
+1 on the intermittent wobble. Took mine out in the end for nine months and not one wobble. Put the Gaptech back on and a month or so down down the line the roof played up. Mine was soldered in both times, once by the previous owner and the second time by me, so I think it's the actual unit rather than the connections.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Jez_m

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Jez_m » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:56 pm

So, new roof ecu module fitted and gap-tech removes.. no joy. Top red light is just flashing away.. no action,no windows down.. nothing! Hmmmm

Hagasan

Roof button - no lights?

Post by Hagasan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:17 pm

Have you checked the emergency handle (red loop) in the boot hasn't been inadvertently knocked?

Also, does the motor reservoir have sufficient oil it it? Try opening and closing the roof manually a few times..