Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Windscreen was her pump fix? Help needed

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Mchatelier

Post by Mchatelier » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:52 pm

Hi all,
I’m not getting any audible noise or response from the washer jets to the windscreen. I tried the headlight washers - they work. But there is no response for the windscreen.

Would this be the same pump that feeds both the washers and the headlights or two separate bits of kit.
Any suggestions most welcome.

Many thanks all.
M

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:55 pm

Two different pumps - If you look just behind the driver's side headlamp you can see them.

Mike

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:58 pm

I also think they are different, so you can't just swap them over and forgo the headlamps.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:04 am

Two separate pumps. One goes into headlight wash other for screenwash. It's super easy to pull out the washer bottle and clean up, replace the pumps. Would take 10 mins and 2 nuts.

Might just the blocked as they do like doing that.

brightonbimmer

Post by brightonbimmer » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:20 am

Be thankful that you own a Z4 and not an M6. While in for oil service prior to winter storage, I had the BMW dealer check the status of my windscreen washer, as the car told me that fluid was low, even though I had topped up the reservoir as advised by an earlier notice. The technician told me that the pump had failed, and appeared to have been repaired at one time. The quoted price to replace the pump was CAD 448.00. Fortunately for me, they did not have a pump in stock. When I got home, I went on the internet and found a replacement pump on ebay for just over 7.00 CAD, delivered to my door in Canada from China. I also found, and ordered, a replacement grommet with screen to plug into the reservoir. A youtube video shows me how to replace the pump; remove the front left wheel, undo the bolts holding the fender liner in place, tie the liner back with a bungee cord or similar, and the pumps are exposed. One electrical connector and one hose to disconnect. Like yours, there are two pumps. The one for the headlamps is larger in my case and probably also in yours. I figure that my mechanic friend and I can do the job in under thirty minutes for less than CAD 15.00. The grommet came from Latvia, by the way, delivered to my home in less than a week.
David
Current cars: 2013 Honda Civic EX (daily driver, 55,000 KM) + 2003 Mazda MX-5 SE (Titanium Grey, with 22,000 KM) + 2006 BMW M6 (Indianapolis Red Metallic, just turned 67,000 KM)
First sports car was 1963 Morgan 4/4 in 1964.Image

Mchatelier

Post by Mchatelier » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:35 am

Thanks very much.
Are they available to replace?
I’m hoping not too difficult to do?

Looking at the pipes that run from it up, I’m not sure if previous owner has done a repair as there is insulating around them With cable ties. Actually he may have down this to stop them freezing.

Anyhow - what can I try to see if it’s this that is the issue. Could it be a fuse? Any pointers/places to go for parts much appreciated.

Again thanks so far chaps

Mchatelier

Post by Mchatelier » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:39 am

Apologies or fuss is a stupid - not really mechanically minded. But handy if a simple diy replacement

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:49 pm

I don't know OP, but I doubt it is a fuse if one pump works.

I've had this problem twice with BMWs, and both times it was just the filters in the reservoir gummed up with what can best be described as "snot"!

See this thread for a photo:- https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15134

You just need to disconnect the electrical connectors (one on each pump) then pull the pipes that go to the washer heads off the pumps, undo a couple of 10mm bolts and jiggle the reservoir out. Once you've done that the pumps are a push fit into the reservoir so pull them out and look at the filters. I cleaned them up with an old toothbrush, flushed the reservoir, stuck it all back together and filled it with fresh screenwash.

BMW tell you that you need to use BMW branded screenwash, but I've just stuck to the same brand and had no problems since - and it's 3 years since I did my E46. I think the problems stem from mixing brands of washer fluid (or in the case of my E46 the "trader" I bought it from using tap water). :headbang:

It's a good starting point as it costs nothing apart from a bit of time.

But if you don't fancy messing and are anywhere near the Berkshire/Surrey/Hampshire borders area I'd be happy to have a look - on a dry day! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Mike6

Post by Mike6 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:16 pm

Could it be that the washer holes are blocked. Try inserting a pin and wiggle around but dont adjust the angle

Mike6

Post by Mike6 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:19 pm

Sorry, just read that you are not getting any noise from the pump. Unlikely to be bloked holes

Mchatelier

Post by Mchatelier » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:00 am

Hey all I really appreciate the forum and the time taken to give me a reply. I’m actually in the Berkshire area so thanks so much for the offer of help if I get stuck.

Nice one. :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:06 am

Mchatelier wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:00 amHey all I really appreciate the forum and the time taken to give me a reply. I’m actually in the Berkshire area so thanks so much for the offer of help if I get stuck.

Nice one.
No problem - by the way if you need a hand I'm in Sandhurst.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black