Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Broken nut on wheel hub

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
rhapsodicboom

Broken nut on wheel hub

Post by rhapsodicboom » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:46 pm

Hello guys, so I was changing the shock absorbers and springs yesterday and ended up snapping the screw which connects to the wheel hub unit. Taken the unit out and took it to a few garages to get it drilled out and they saying that it's difficult because of the angle and best to get a new hub unit. Anyone got into similar problem.

If I get a new unit I've got the coupe e86 will the e85 wheel hub unit be the same regardless f year engine type ? There's a few on e Bay

rhapsodicboom

Broken nut on wheel hub

Post by rhapsodicboom » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:49 pm

Attachments
IMG-20180120-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20180120-WA0002.jpg (198.83 KiB) Viewed 793 times

dhobbs

Broken nut on wheel hub

Post by dhobbs » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:01 pm

It has been known on here to drill that one out.
I soaked mine in penetration oil for at least a week before attempting to undo. Not much help now.

Good luck though.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

Crazy Harry

Broken nut on wheel hub

Post by Crazy Harry » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:17 pm

They can be a sod to drill out but not impossible - if I were a garage I would pass on the chance of drilling it for you going to take more time than you would be willing to pay for - but change the hub and a quick few quid!

If you have the unit off the car and a power drill its do-able you need a good set of drill bits (and possibly the ability to sharpen them) and a lot of patience. Holding it in a drilling machine is not necessarily an advantage. Where are you based?

rhapsodicboom

Broken nut on wheel hub

Post by rhapsodicboom » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:44 pm

Crazy Harry wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:17 pmThey can be a sod to drill out but not impossible - if I were a garage I would pass on the chance of drilling it for you going to take more time than you would be willing to pay for - but change the hub and a quick few quid!

If you have the unit off the car and a power drill its do-able you need a good set of drill bits (and possibly the ability to sharpen them) and a lot of patience. Holding it in a drilling machine is not necessarily an advantage. Where are you based?
I'm based in West London. I was thinking of the same thing. I'll just order the hub from a breaker won't be too far off from getting it drilled and all that. Tbh it dosnt look in the best condition either. While I'm at it might as well get new anti roll bar links and top mounts. That way I've got a fresh suspension set up haha.

Crazy Harry

Broken nut on wheel hub

Post by Crazy Harry » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:50 pm

The last one I did (on a Galaxy) took me all morning. If you can't do it yourself then three hours of garage time is going to burn a hole in your pocket very quickly. I don't know what they are new but I bet its about the same as having somebody drill it out.

You're not close to me so can't help you out :thumbsdown:

Once you start changing things you won't stop! Remember to mirror any changes on the other side of the car.

Monkeydonkeyratmagic

Broken nut on wheel hub

Post by Monkeydonkeyratmagic » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:48 am

Is there any part of the bolt sticking out the other side? If so you can try and get a set of mole grips on it and wallop it with a club hammer. Worked for me years back. You'll need about 3mm thread sticking out literally crush the bolt with the grips.
MR-2 Turbo Rev2

Yep no Z yet. On the hunt.

Chris1981

Broken nut on wheel hub

Post by Chris1981 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:34 am

I did exactly the same when changing suspension on my e86 coupe... i feel your pain!

I bought a complete hub from a breakers, all hubs are the same regardless of engine and body type so no issues there! (not too sure about the M cars though!)

The size of the front brake discs vary across engine sizes as will the dust shield attached to the hub so that's the only potential issue you could face, unless you manage to find a hub from another 3.0si it's likely the brake dust shield would be too small, not a massive issue as it will still fit and you can always swap the dust shield from yours... but changing it requires taking the hub apart as the dust shield won't fit over the flange.
E86 Coupe 3.0si Sport - Montego Blue, Pearl Grey with Piano Black dash
BC BR series Coilovers, powerflex bushes, 15mm spacers, Custom SS exhaust, CDV delete

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Broken nut on wheel hub

Post by jamie_z4 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:45 am

the hub from any E46 bar the M3 is the same also.
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

mjennings23

Broken nut on wheel hub

Post by mjennings23 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:39 pm

Yup, had this issue myself and got a hub off a 320d I believe, for the princely sum of £15. The face-lift does have larger disks so if you want the correct dust shield already fitted you'll want a 330i/d hub, or one off a face-lift 3.0 zed

exdos

Broken nut on wheel hub

Post by exdos » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:45 pm

If you are looking to drill out the bolt then using the correct drill bit is crucial. I can highly recommend the DeWalt Extreme 2 HSS Drill Bits which are available from Screwfix. These bits "laugh" at hard metals which otherwise ruin other steel drill bits.

TBH, you are always asking for trouble attempting to undo a nut and bolt when they are buried in dirt and rust. You should always clean the area to stop dirt jamming the threads, even if you can get get some movement when you apply force. It's far better to prepare the nut and bolt before you attempt to undo them by heating the nut with a small blow torch (up to a deep cherry red colour) and then soaking the area in penetrant spray and leaving for at least a few hours to permit the spray to penetrate along the thread. If you haven't got a blow torch or penetrant spray, you can also soak the part when cold in diesel. Getting lubricant of some sort on the thread of a jammed bolt is essential. Once you've got the first bit of movement, always spray some more lubricant so it can penetrate the thread some more.

Good luck!