Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Seized Caliper - cheap fix

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Davz

Post by Davz » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:22 pm

Zed sat on the driveway for over 2 weeks during the xmas period, so when I went out for a drive the RH front caliper had seized.
I searched for a repair kit and the cheapest I found was £20 + deliv but I found a recon bmw caliper by Brake Engineering of Wrexham (owned by automotive parts giant TRW). BE cnc machine the cyclinder, fit new piston and seals + electroplate the caliper, when I got it out of the box it was impossible to tell it wasn't brand new complete with the all important bmw stamp and part number...all original. Cost including delivery? £37! There is a £12 deposit refunded on return of the seized caliper. At this price why repair or buy some cheap chinese copy? I was also amazed by speed of delivery, I ordered Tuesday 10.00pm and received Thursday 10.00am, not bad! I haven't bothered to return the seized caliper, it will probably cost £6, but there is a depot in Wolverhampton about 20mins drive, so may drop it off and do some shopping at the same time.

Website I got mine from is:- https://www.carsparesltd.com/

You can do a search for Z4 components at http://www.brake-eng.com/en/ and search Z4 in the catalogue, this will provide the part number of the component you require.
2006 2.5 Monaco blue, orange footwell lights, Blue boot lights, 20/15mm wheel spacers, Buckley06 gear knob, Aux, MV2's, M pedals, Eibachs, Bilstein B4's, Whiteline front ARB. H&R rear ARB. Roof motor relocated, Alpine speakers, Xenons.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:25 pm

Thanks for posting that. :thumbsup:

My 325ti has a sticky caliper so assuming they do the same service for E46s I'll be contacting them later this year.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black