Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Glovebox keeps falling out (fixed)

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Magicarcher

Post by Magicarcher » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:06 pm

my glocveboz has started falling out. It falls out on the LHS and I cant make it stay in.

I have removed the glovebox and it contains, two brass ferrules into which two plastic pins on the facia are inserted. Looking at my facia the right pin is present, but the left hand pin appears to have become recessed. Should this be spring loaded or something to allow the glovebox back in?
Last edited by Magicarcher on Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z4 3.0L 2005. Titan Silver. Audio Upgrade Second Stereo Pioneer X8700DAB, Sony Xplode 4 x 70W Amp, 6.5" Reckhorn Subs in rear cubby, Focal AS165-3 in fronts.

Chris1981

Glovebox keeps falling out.

Post by Chris1981 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:48 am

I've had similar issues with mine, a previous owner had actually tried to fix it as one side is a bolt with masking tape rather than the plastic pin!

I don't know if they are supposed to be spring loaded or not, mine isn't and I have now glued the remaining plastic pin in place and after a year the glovebox is still holding.

The pins are located in a plastic frame held onto the dash with 4 screws (I think it's 4, you'll see them!), remove the frame and glue the pin back in place then reattach frame and glovebox lid as 1.
E86 Coupe 3.0si Sport - Montego Blue, Pearl Grey with Piano Black dash
BC BR series Coilovers, powerflex bushes, 15mm spacers, Custom SS exhaust, CDV delete

Magicarcher

Glovebox keeps falling out.

Post by Magicarcher » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:16 pm

Thanks Chris, it is sort of strange, the LHS pin is there but fully pushed in such that it offers no support (RHS pin is fully out and fits in glovebox ferule fine). I think I will have to take out the frame as you suggest, and fathom a solution. As you say it isn't too difficult I have done it before to access the back of the fusebox, I might even be able to get rid of the squeak that started after I last put it back :)
Z4 3.0L 2005. Titan Silver. Audio Upgrade Second Stereo Pioneer X8700DAB, Sony Xplode 4 x 70W Amp, 6.5" Reckhorn Subs in rear cubby, Focal AS165-3 in fronts.

Magicarcher

Post by Magicarcher » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:09 pm

Sorted this now, for anyone else that has the same problem, the pins are not spring loaded, they are push fit from the reverse of the plastic frame with a one way wedge/barb to stop them coming out. For some reason the barb on mine had failed to do its job and the pin had slowly worked its was back. To solve, remove the glove box plastic frame (2 philips screws right hand side, 2 left hand side and two front). Remove the loose pin (mine dropped onto carpet), then on bench put the glovebox into place on the pin that is still in place and then push in the pin that has fallen out until the barb engages.

I can't see how the barb could disengage during use, so I suspect the pin wasn't full engaged in manufacturing and worked its way loose over time.