Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Replacing a headlight

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
leonfr

Replacing a headlight

Post by leonfr » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:46 pm

Hi Guys,
Is it an easy job to replace a headlight or is it a garage job ? Cheers

Monkeydonkeyratmagic

Replacing a headlight

Post by Monkeydonkeyratmagic » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:06 am

It's expensive but easy. Minimal skills required.
MR-2 Turbo Rev2

Yep no Z yet. On the hunt.

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Replacing a headlight

Post by jamie_z4 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:07 am

piece of piss really, I did both headlights including removing the front bumper in less than an hour
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Replacing a headlight

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:59 am

As a first timer expect it to be a fair sized job taking 2-3 hours to remove the front bumper cover, headlight washers if fitted, then remove the headlights which are secured with several long torx. If not previously removed they may be seized so need care and perhaps penetrating fluid
Before removing any headlight note the exact location as realignment is difficult to get correct to all the gaps and panel lines. and will need a couple of test refits to get it spot on. Rebuild is the reverse
You'll need headlight alignment checked unless you're feeling handy setting the beams against a square wall

Second time you'll do it in half the time..
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Lance

Replacing a headlight

Post by Lance » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:04 am

Removed a headlight from my 2003 Z4 a couple of years back, found it very easy and was no more than a couple of hours.

Bumper off is easy and fairly obvious once you start, but might be worth having a few spare push button clips for re-assembly.

Headlight location advice from cj10 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: a bit of good prep here pays off later.

maxman

Replacing a headlight

Post by maxman » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:45 pm

If the car has headlight washers,just unclip the washer pipes from the bumper and the slack in the pipes will allow you to rest the bumper on the floor,ideally on some carpet.Uncliping the bumper can be a bit of a fiddle the first time you do it.I found the best way fo me was remove bottom screws and wheel arch pins/plugs.Slacken off top screws .next slide your fingers in behind wheel arch liner keeping your thumb just above point where the bumper meets the wing.Press in with your thumb while pulling towards you with your fingers allowing the bumper to unclip.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Replacing a headlight

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:19 pm

There was enough slack in my washers to just pop the bumper on the floor with them still attached.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Replacing a headlight

Post by MACK » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:46 am

There's a few good vids on this on the net. If might seem a little daunting at the moment, but when you watch the vids you'll realise just how straight forward the job actually is.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)