Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cheap LEDs; a cautionary tale

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Kamuela

Post by Kamuela » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:01 am

About 6 months ago I bought a dozen or so LED wedge base bulbs; 110's, etc. Generic bulbs from fleabay, but with the (really unnecessary for my purposes; interior lights aren't monitored) resistor to fool the CANBus. I replaced the perfectly good incandescents in the dome light, footwells, trunk, center storage place, and license plate.
Yesterday I finally realized what was bothering me when I got in the car; it was dark! no footwell lights, dome light, etc.
As it happens, of the 7 or 8 bulbs I replaced, all but the two in the center storage had physically broken in half, with the pieces rattling around. The failure mode was a blob-y solder joint where the base joined the diode array. Curiously, the two map lights that I had replaced with focused LED wedge base bulbs were still fine; totally different construction, entirely enclosed in a plastic shell.
I guess the moral is, get the good ones, not the cheap ones. Or something like that. I totally didn't expect this.

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:10 am

Fleabay is flooded with both good and bad LEDs. Problem is you don't know which is which.
An added problem I found is the renowned manufacturers LEDs don't tend to be that bright.

I replaced mine but only from recommendations from people on here (that way I can blame them if they fail :rofl: )
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

Magicarcher

Post by Magicarcher » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:30 pm

There are many poor LEDs on the market and positive feedback doesn't always help because people are far too quick to give it. LED technology itself is reliable, hence they quote much better reliability, but in the case of LED lights the electronics usually fail.
Z4 3.0L 2005. Titan Silver. Audio Upgrade Second Stereo Pioneer X8700DAB, Sony Xplode 4 x 70W Amp, 6.5" Reckhorn Subs in rear cubby, Focal AS165-3 in fronts.

Johnr32

Post by Johnr32 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:50 am

Ive gone back to normal yellow mellow side lights as they never seem to last. The best ones Ive ever used lasted roughly a year and half before they started to flicker. Presently, there is no such thing as a reliable and bright led on ebay.

Umfaan

Post by Umfaan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:31 am

Yes ...all too true ....only buy LEDs from reputable suppliers...Cheap Chinese on EBay will not last ....

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:02 am

I've fitted 'Cree' brand bulbs to various cars and although they aren't cheap they are bright and some have been fitted for over 12 months with no problems. If you get them from a reputable seller it will help to avoid the brand knock-offs.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

biojo

Post by biojo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:17 pm

i replaced foo twell ones with new lamps but with buit in leds, ones in center console replaced with LEDs, and map ones with cree ones, nearly 2 years on all is still working