Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Door locking, wiper, interior lights and alarm issues possibly GM5?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Buckie85

Post by Buckie85 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:06 pm

Hi there

I have a 2006 2.0l Z4 picked it up few months ago as a non runner due to the timing chain tensioner which I done my self with help from this forum, so hear I am again with another issue. There was a problem with the window wipers to start with they would work then just stop working once car had been turned off and back on they would work again for a short time.
One day went for a long drive shortly after getting home went to lock the car and the central locking wouldnt work also after that the alarm would go off as a high pitched sound this would continue then stop few mins later start again. Also noticed that interior lights have stopped working as well as electric windows.
Ive done some searching and seen that the GM5 relays could be the problem some of those who repair the relays say that the work does not cover the other issues I have also one person who I contacted said sounds more like a wiring fault?
Basically im seeing if these relays could effect more than just the central locking or if I just got to look at a certain fuse.
Il be happy to send it off to get repaired if thats the issue but if the relays dont effect more than the central locking I feel could be pointless as all these issues happened at once shortly after window wiper fault.
So any information on fuses or what the problem could be id be very grateful.

Cheers

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:37 pm

Check the battery if it hasn't been run for a while.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Grumpyowl » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:01 pm

I'm no expert but agree new battery most likely , these cars are very sensitive to weak batteries.

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:01 pm

Another vote for a battery. I haven’t any experience with these strange gremlins but have seen at least a few threads where strange electrical goings on have been sorted with a battery.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

Buckie85

Post by Buckie85 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:52 pm

I will try battery at some point this week will be handy if it is that. I'll update when I find out more did read about electrical issues with batteries. The car actually runs fine apart from those bits and all those issues go through the GM5 module hence me going down that route. Like you all say check battery do the simple stuff first.

Cheers

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:32 pm

Could be a combination of things including transport mode. Does the heated rear window work, will the blower go to max speed, and does the roof work? Occasionally the radio will also display "disabled" on the display.

Mike

Buckie85

Post by Buckie85 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:30 pm

So little update
I've tried the battery with no luck issues still arise. The annoying part is that the alarm keeps going off at a high pitch one tone in which case disconnect the battery to stop it the tone will sound for a minute or so then go off for a minute then come back on so forth. The blower do seem to go to max setting though the roof does not operate at all. I've seen on website bmwgm5repair.com that it lists the problems I have except the roof and say could be the gm5 so I think may be the route to look at as also used the Carly app to pull some codes up.

Power windows: cable break or jam protection strips de-standardisation/error EKE electronic passenger door
Code: 00000E
Gateway/ZKE Wiper: blocked or reset contact
Code: 000033

May have to look at wipers first as that's where the issues started first the rest came later. At a thought may be something has gone wrong there causing the GM5/ZKE to effect other parts that pass through it. I'm going to assume that the roof control may pass through the GM5 module as seems a lot of the inside car functions do to? Any how when I find out more I'll update after checking the battery 'll now investigate the wiper issue as that's where the haunting of gremlins started.

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mac27040 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:54 pm

Does sound like GM5 issue but could be others

Alarm - could be bonnet sensor (common fault) just unplug it for now. However a full diagnostic will tell you whats wrong with it.
Wipers - this could be the wiper motor and needs striping and cleaning contacts, there is a how to on the forum.
Roof - could be a dead roof motor but check fuses first.
windows - check fuses
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

Buckie85

Post by Buckie85 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:41 pm

Well found that the fuse had gone (F10) for immoboliser interior lights I think any how replaced that. Which stopped the alarm going off then needed to relink the key to the car, so now the central locking works. The roof works again as the bits in the boot had been turned to stop it operating. Windows are now working whether they are linked to that circuit I dont know.

Il look up the how to on the forum for the wiper motor as that is the last thing needs doing and by sounds of it should be the issue with the wipers.

Cheers
:thumbsup: