Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Replacing the interior door handles

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:13 pm

I think it’s a facelift change. My 3.0Si had chrome line, and I got some grab handle covers from a forum member with a pre-facelift Z and they are darker / more matter. Never changed them as they didnt match the door handles, still got them in the garage actually.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Highstreet

Post by Highstreet » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:17 pm

jamie_z4 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:35 pmyour new ones are whats known as 'chromeline' for the e85/e86

the ones you had originally were the basic grey colour which come on most 2.0 / 2.2 / 2.5i models, as that's what my new interior come with (as it was from a 2.0i) and I couldn't be arsed swapping handles.
Thanks, that was exactly the info I was looking for! I compared the part numbers of the old and new ones and they are exactly the same. So I suppose you can only order the chromeline-version and not the basic gray version.

maxman

Post by maxman » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:32 pm

Highstreet wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:03 pm
maxman wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:31 pmDo you want to sell the old ones ,if so I will buy them off you , I am after the black plastic ,so not botherd about the handle.
Sure, if you’re willing to pay for the shipping, you can get them for free. But I live in the Netherlands, we’ll have to check the shipment-cost.
Thanks for that.I assumed you that you lived in the UK.

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:18 am

Bing wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:13 pmI think it’s a facelift change. My 3.0Si had chrome line, and I got some grab handle covers from a forum member with a pre-facelift Z and they are darker / more matter. Never changed them as they didnt match the door handles, still got them in the garage actually.
I thought this too but the interior I got mine from was from a 2008 car.

I think if you specced chrome line interior pack you got chrome door handles, door pulls and if it was and SE then chrome steering wheel trims. (like thatnau55s)
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:42 pm

jamie_z4 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:18 am
Bing wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:13 pmI think it’s a facelift change. My 3.0Si had chrome line, and I got some grab handle covers from a forum member with a pre-facelift Z and they are darker / more matter. Never changed them as they didnt match the door handles, still got them in the garage actually.
I thought this too but the interior I got mine from was from a 2008 car.

I think if you specced chrome line interior pack you got chrome door handles, door pulls and if it was and SE then chrome steering wheel trims. (like thatnau55s)
Ah, ok. I didn’t realise it was an option. That makes sense. The silver trim in the M is different again, brighter I think.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Ala5dair

Post by Ala5dair » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:43 am

I read this thread initially to see how to replace the handles, with which it has helped, thanks all. In fact the most difficult part of the job is getting the covers back in place, on a cold winter morning.

Anyway, I also ordered the std unit, and received what appear to be the chrome line version but, in the car, (with black interior) there is very little difference.

Nevertheless, I have replaced both units and so have a used set going spare if anyone wants them. The drivers unit has suffered badly from ring damage, but the passenger unit is almost perfect with just some tiny scratches on the top of the pull handle. Photo below:
066842A4-B0CB-4379-87FC-BF5367736F48.jpeg
066842A4-B0CB-4379-87FC-BF5367736F48.jpeg (400.67 KiB) Viewed 699 times
I’m sorry if I should be posting this in the “for sale” section, but I wanted to continue the thread. I’m really just wanting to cover any postage costs, as my way of saying “thank you” for all the help I’ve received since buying my zed.
2004 3.0i SE in titanium silver with clear third brake and side lights. Black interior.
M-Sport suspension, 18” 107 mag ellipsoids, ZHP, xenons, cruise control and stubby

maxman

Post by maxman » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:43 pm

Ala5dair wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:43 amI read this thread initially to see how to replace the handles, with which it has helped, thanks all. In fact the most difficult part of the job is getting the covers back in place, on a cold winter morning.

Anyway, I also ordered the std unit, and received what appear to be the chrome line version but, in the car, (with black interior) there is very little difference.

Nevertheless, I have replaced both units and so have a used set going spare if anyone wants them. The drivers unit has suffered badly from ring damage, but the passenger unit is almost perfect with just some tiny scratches on the top of the pull handle. Photo below:

066842A4-B0CB-4379-87FC-BF5367736F48.jpeg

I’m sorry if I should be posting this in the “for sale” section, but I wanted to continue the thread. I’m really just wanting to cover any postage costs, as my way of saying “thank you” for all the help I’ve received since buying my zed.
I will take them if still available,i only want them for the black interiors.Can you let me know how much/how you want paying.Thanks

Ala5dair

Post by Ala5dair » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:39 pm

Thanks, Maxman

I’ve pm’d you (I think, though it’s still sitting in my Outbox)...
2004 3.0i SE in titanium silver with clear third brake and side lights. Black interior.
M-Sport suspension, 18” 107 mag ellipsoids, ZHP, xenons, cruise control and stubby

tobymccall

Post by tobymccall » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:15 pm

@Highstreet

Would you be available to chat about the steps you took to replace your handles? I'm about to do the same thing and would appreciate any learnings you have.

Thanks!