Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

3.0Si (N52) suspected MAF - rough idle/slow pick up (not loving Carly...)

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Newbers

3.0Si (N52) suspected MAF - rough idle/slow pick up (not loving Carly...)

Post by Newbers » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:12 pm

I've been Googling but not really located anything exactly relevant... :(

I've had the engine light on for a while without any obvious symptoms. I did borrow an ODB reader and it gave a 'running lean code' (sorry don't have exact codes here).

I did suspect more recently that the pick up was a bit slow (heel and toe having to be a bit heavy footed to get revs up). Just before Christmas someone disconnected the MAF and I got the impression that it perhaps picked up better but it wasn't very obvious.

Just this week it has now started (intermittently) to struggle to idle (revs all over the place, below normal idle speed and has actually cut out).

Would you be comfortable based on that description of symptoms to replace the MAF? I don't want to unnecessarily swap parts that are OK but if I can pick one up cheap and change it quickly that will be less hassle than getting it booked in and probably not a lot dearer...

Car (Coupe 3.0Si - N52) has done 70,000. Couldn't see any signs of splits. Does have a leaky rocker cover gasket but I don't think any of that oil gets anywhere near the air intake.
Last edited by Newbers on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coupe, KW coil overs, PSB limiters, Powerflex ARB bushes, 18" CSL reps, Aero skirts, ZHP leather knob, Whippy and proud. Probably needs a wash :roll:

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

3.0Si (N52) suspected MAF - rough idle/slow pick up

Post by GuidoK » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:25 pm

Running lean.....cheap MAF....leaky rocker cover gasket....No obd2 code written down...
Where do I begin :roll: .....

First of all I would steer clear of any 'cheap' MAF. They are rubbish. Hit&miss.
I also wouldnt change the MAF on a lean code. Could just as well be the o2 sensors, or a vacuum leak.
Fixing a car begins with a proper diagnose in my book. Swapping out parts randomly gets expensive really really fast.

Diagnosing a MAF includes at the least monitoring the data on how much air it measures and monitoring the fuel trims
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

derin100

Post by derin100 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:57 pm

GuidoK wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:25 pmFixing a car begins with a proper diagnose in my book. Swapping out parts randomly gets expensive really really fast.
Ain't that the truth! Don't do it.

I used to have this mechanic who was the worst diagnostian ever! He'd ignore the 'computer' even when it was correct in telling him EXACTLY what was wrong! Trusting in himself....and to my bloody expense...by ignoring exactly Guido's advice.

Don't "guess" on these cars.
E85 3.0Si Silver on Black (Gone and will be missed)
E85 M Roadster Silver Grey on Black
E85 Alpina Roadster S Toledo Blue on Black

bradz

Post by bradz » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:22 pm

Find out the exact fault code.

Could be anything from and air leak to vanos issues.

If you fancy a drive to Bedford I'm happy to plug it in for a beer 8)
Z4M Coupe, E92 M3, E46 M3 Track car :driving:

Chris1981

Post by Chris1981 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:01 pm

I think it has already been summed up nicely by others but the random replacement of parts is not a good idea... certainly do not buy a cheap or 2nd had MAF!

You need to get the codes read, there's a thread on the forum which lists members with Carly so you should be able to find someone that will read the code for you! :thumbsup:

https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ilit=carly

Cleaning your current MAF could be a good start, MAF cleaner won't cost more than a £10 from any branch of halfords, if you take it out and have a good look at the wire you'll see whether it's dirty or not, mine was filthy and cleaning it helped with a very occasional erratic idle... but i never had an engine light. I suspect TPS for mine as the erratic idle comes in after very light throttle and goes when I give it a good rev!

If the erratic idle disappears when the MAF is unplugged then it's definitely a contributing factor, but the 'Lean Mixture' code you pulled does point more towards O2 sensor or un-metered air getting in somehow, the CCV system vents into the inlet manifold which could have a potential leak if you're happy the rest of the air intake is intact!? Or potentially an issue with fuel delivery??
E86 Coupe 3.0si Sport - Montego Blue, Pearl Grey with Piano Black dash
BC BR series Coilovers, powerflex bushes, 15mm spacers, Custom SS exhaust, CDV delete

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:07 pm

Chris1981 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:01 pm Cleaning your current MAF could be a good start,
Cleaning your MAF isnt without its risks though.
In essence, if your MAF is dirty, you have another problem. The air filter should remove ALL dirt from the air.
If your MAF is dirty, somehow dirt got past it. That can happen for example if your filter got wet, or if you use an aftermarket reusable filter (oil based).

With 70k miles the MAF should be absolutely clean and working (maybe if you got double that mileage it would be different).
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:52 pm

O2 sensor was replaced on my 3.0Si at about 60k miles so they do fail. If was before I bought the car though so can’t tell you the symptoms but they are certainly known to cause a rough and erratic idle. That would certainly be right at the top of my suspect list. Code should confirm.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Newbers

Post by Newbers » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:10 am

Thanks for all thoughts above. I bought an ODB2 reader earlier so hopefully early next week I should be able to come back and reset the starting point.....
Coupe, KW coil overs, PSB limiters, Powerflex ARB bushes, 18" CSL reps, Aero skirts, ZHP leather knob, Whippy and proud. Probably needs a wash :roll:

Chris1981

Post by Chris1981 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:06 pm

Newbers wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:10 amThanks for all thoughts above. I bought an ODB2 reader earlier so hopefully early next week I should be able to come back and reset the starting point.....
Did you manage to get to the root cause of the this one yet newbers? any luck with codes? My very occasional erratic idle shows nothing on Carly
BC BR series Coilovers, powerflex bushes, 15mm spacers, Custom SS exhaust, CDV delete

Newbers

Post by Newbers » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:32 pm

Chris1981 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:06 pm
Did you manage to get to the root cause of the this one yet newbers? any luck with codes? My very occasional erratic idle shows nothing on Carly
Are you using the paid for Carly app Chris1981? - Against my better judgement I bought a cheap ODB2 bluetooth reader which it turned out didn't work so I have now committed to buying a Carly adapter (and I guess the advanced app).

The plan was to then post up details of the fuel trims and error codes etc. and hope that I could get a bit more help.

I've recently moved my garage and home office which has been pretty disruptive hence the missing notepad with the error codes in and sense of disarray that I have presented here...

I've looked carefully and all of the plastics/rubbers on the inlet side are in good condition so I don't believe there are any leaks. The leaky rocker cover gasket is pretty minor and a distraction in this case. Also air filter is standard and recently replaced (I will check its clean/dry tho.)

I've previously replaced O2 sensors and they gave different errors (and as I recall no obvious symptoms).

It's getting to the point where this car is becoming nearly as irritating as it is enjoyable and I keep finding myself looking more closely at 911's and bizarrely Panamera's......

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:36 pm

Hmmm if you have replaced O2 sensors recently and eliminated the MAF, it could be the DISA valves (there are 2). The one under the intake manifold is a bitch to get to. The N52 is pretty good usually.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Chris1981

Post by Chris1981 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:47 am

Yeah I'm using the full version, the lite version is no use at all!

Carly is reasonably good for fault finding and for coding, I've used it to diagnose a couple of issues but there is no live data functionality on the N52 engine which is incredibly annoying as that was the main reason for purchasing the app and connector! If you were wanting to monitor fuel trims, air flow, etc you might struggle with Carly.

I hadn't ever suspected DISA valve being an issue on idle but given they alter airflow it's a possibility! ph001 is right, the smaller DISA valve under the inlet is a complete pain to get at so best be sure that's the culprit before tackling it!

Good luck getting to the bottom of it, keep us posted if you find anything out! :thumbsup:

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:47 am

sounds like the eccentric shaft sensor, my coupe failed and had the same symptoms. very common on the n52- surprised no ones mentioned it yet.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697252
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

Chris1981

Post by Chris1981 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:14 pm

I looked into eccentric shaft sensor a while back, think I may have read that very thread!

I've not had performance issues highlighted in the e90 post, just a very occasional lumpy idle and no oil leak into the plug.... but a good shout all the same and costs nothing to check for oil in the connector.

Worth looking Newbers... eccentric camshaft sensor is at the front of the engine under the plastic cover if you didn't already know.

Given the scale of job to change it hopefully that's not the case, I certainly wouldn't be changing it unless I was 100% sure it's the reason!

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:18 pm

Chris1981 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:14 pmI looked into eccentric shaft sensor a while back, think I may have read that very thread!

I've not had performance issues highlighted in the e90 post, just a very occasional lumpy idle and no oil leak into the plug.... but a good shout all the same and costs nothing to check for oil in the connector.

Worth looking Newbers... eccentric camshaft sensor is at the front of the engine under the plastic cover if you didn't already know.

Given the scale of job to change it hopefully that's not the case, I certainly wouldn't be changing it unless I was 100% sure it's the reason!
You can unplug the sensor to see if the idle steadies out, if it does the sensor is fubard :cry:
they cost a bomb from bmw but I remember stupot from here managed to source his from Germany by cross referencing the serial number & got it for half price :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold