Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Loss of power and warning lights

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Behr

Post by Behr » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:02 pm

Early 2003 2.5 M54

Last night I was out in the car and whilst under (rare) hard acceleration I had an immediate cut in power and a trio of warning lights on the dash. I pulled over and dipped the clutch and noticed an erratic idle. As if I was blipping the throttle repeatedly.

I haven’t plugged it in yet but wondered if anyone had any experience of this and likely causes.

Photo
1688A30C-4D46-451C-8F8E-78B9137010BC.jpeg
1688A30C-4D46-451C-8F8E-78B9137010BC.jpeg (283.98 KiB) Viewed 2766 times
"It's got red seats and the roof comes off. What's not to love?"

skurup

Post by skurup » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:48 pm

Check if DISA is broken.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:48 pm

plug it in fella....
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

melbs

Post by melbs » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:47 pm

Amazing how we have almost the same car and problem that occurred the same time!!!

2003 2.5 as well

My symptoms:
Whether sport or not sport mode, in D, step on gas pedal hard (even without the kickdown mode) until rev goes to 4000 rpm, then bang Brake, EML and DSC lights all on and suddenly lost power and rev goes down to 1000 rpm and pulsates thus jerking the car continuously.

Put in N or Park to stop car from jerking, turn car off and restart. Lights gone.

Car functions properly, can go to speeds up to 100 kph without problem as long as you do not hard accelerate.

A quick hard acceleration and it triggers the trio of lights and same rev problem once more.

I have a video of it. Will post the link soon.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:11 pm

Could be a coil pack
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

TonyP

Post by TonyP » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:27 pm

markplant wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:11 pm Could be a coil pack
^^ this, my 2.5si had a coil pack 'go' under hard acceleration too, I was only a couple of miles from home & so limped home & plugged my laptop in which told me I had a misfire on cyl no1, a quick trip to GSF to pick up a genuine Bosch replacement coil pack & I was back on the road within an hour of the fault happening :thumbsup:

Annoyingly I'd only just had an insp2 service at BMW who kindly told me that a coil pack was cracked when I collected the car, when I say cracked, the lower part was missing, my guess is it detached itself when they changed the plugs.

Behr

Post by Behr » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:45 pm

Thanks all. I’ll stop being lazy and will brave the cold with the laptop later :D

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:40 pm

Behr wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:45 pmThanks all. I’ll stop being lazy and will brave the cold with the laptop later :D
Did you get any codes off of it?

melbs

Post by melbs » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:55 am

https://youtu.be/3kgZqIb2-hU

Link to the same problem

Had mine checked by an indy, so far fault codes appear to be an air leak :o Mechanic found a cracked intake hose. He is starting there, then MAF and DISA before checking the coils

swilsco

Post by swilsco » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:30 pm

melbs wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:55 amhttps://youtu.be/3kgZqIb2-hU

Link to the same problem

Had mine checked by an indy, so far fault codes appear to be an air leak :o Mechanic found a cracked intake hose. He is starting there, then MAF and DISA before checking the coils
I had the exact same situation occur on me once in my Zed. I was trying to keep up with my mate in his M3 (failing hard obviously) and then this happened. Panic ensued thinking i had broken my fairly new Z trying to keep up with the M3 until an engine off and back on cleared the fault. Never had the fault since - even with some encouraged driving in sport mode. Very odd.

melbs

Post by melbs » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:49 pm

swilsco wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:30 pm
melbs wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:55 amhttps://youtu.be/3kgZqIb2-hU

Link to the same problem

I had the exact same situation occur on me once in my Zed. I was trying to keep up with my mate in his M3 (failing hard obviously) and then this happened. Panic ensued thinking i had broken my fairly new Z trying to keep up with the M3 until an engine off and back on cleared the fault. Never had the fault since - even with some encouraged driving in sport mode. Very odd.
Lucky you, it didnt ever happen again

Mine keeps getting the same problem everytime i hard accelerate to 4000 rpm :cry:

melbs

Post by melbs » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:18 pm

Just to update

My indy changed the maf and problem solved

Behr

Post by Behr » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:44 pm

Ok, so being a bit lazy about this, and knowing my cars history pretty well, I took a punt on 6 new Bosch coil packs before plugging in to GTS. Unfortunately this didn’t do anything to fix my issue so out came the laptop.

I have these two codes, the latter of which is what I assume to be the source of the EML lamp, power loss and erratic revs -

27B5 / P0010
bmw_screen1.png
bmw_screen1.png (197.83 KiB) Viewed 2516 times
And ..

28A2 / P16A7
bmw_screen2.png
bmw_screen2.png (211.06 KiB) Viewed 2516 times
Search function on here and google points me towards checking for inlet air leaks first then look at the MAF, or is this more CCV territory?

The CPS issue I assume is separate so I’ll look at that in isolation?

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:55 pm

Easiest way to check MAF is unplug it and go for a drive. The engine will run rich but if it isn't erratic idling that's your issue.

Behr

Post by Behr » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:58 am

A minor update on this.

I had some time to pour over the Zed yesterday so dug her out of the garage and had a good prod around.

I ran INPA and DIS and cleared the two fault codes then had a good look round the MAF and inlet. All looks good in terms of potential air leaks. No cracks or splits that I could find with a good torch and inspection mirror.

It did occur to me that both faults (CPS and MAF) are for components fed out of the same junction box area beneath the inlet so I began to trace wires from said junction and low and behold, found the intake VANOS solenoid was unplugged. I doubt this jumped off on its own and is probably down to the BANOS rebuild I did last year. Needless to say I reconnected it and ran the codes again. This time the “27B5 Inlet camshaft, activation“ was gone.

The code is in fact for the intake VANOS solenoid, not the camshaft position sensor! Hopefully this piece of information might help someone in the future.

Regardless, with everything blindingly obvious taken care of, a short test drive revealed that the problem with immediate power loss and the trio of lights (inc. MIL) is still there. I ran DIS ‘live’ and viewed the MAF input values with the engine idling and on revs and it seemed to give a fairly consistent kg/h value. I also unplugged the MAF, and whilst this didn’t seem to make any difference to the way it ran, I did get multiple MAF codes come up (which I then cleared).

Next move is to replace the MAF in the hope that it is just out of range. Any suggestions welcome for other courses of action.