Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Foggy fog lights

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
bluepain

Foggy fog lights

Post by bluepain » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:10 pm

Would it not be better drilling these from the rear some how,..
My main concern is, if its raining and your driving,there could be dome water ingress from the drilled holes.
If holes are drilled out of the air stream, water ingress would erase this issue..
Anyway ill be interested to see if your drilled fogs work.
Best of luck :D

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Foggy fog lights

Post by mr.tourette » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:16 pm

bluepain wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:10 pm Would it not be better drilling these from the rear some how,..
My main concern is, if its raining and your driving,there could be dome water ingress from the drilled holes.
If holes are drilled out of the air stream, water ingress would erase this issue..
Anyway ill be interested to see if your drilled fogs work.
Best of luck :D
Your concerned about water getting in lights that are already permanently wet? :D the fogs are already soaking wet and corroding from the inside and the holes allow them to get airflow to dry them out.. mine have been drilled over a year and are dry as a bone no matter what weather conditions I drive in. no holes= soaking wet lights...3 tiny holes=dry lights...its a no brainer imho
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Foggy fog lights

Post by Marlon » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:39 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:53 pmthe 3 small drilled holes do work..did mine over a year ago and they are always dry now, as Marlon mentioned it does seem a little drastic but it works and beats having orrible looking fogs
Its started to clear - how long did yours take?
It been damp and wet since I drilled the holes - does it take a dry warmer spell for the fogs to de-mist?
Good news is that they look ok inside - no rusting.
fogs.jpg
fogs.jpg (380.44 KiB) Viewed 604 times
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Foggy fog lights

Post by mr.tourette » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:45 pm

Marlon wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:39 pm
mr.tourette wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:53 pmthe 3 small drilled holes do work..did mine over a year ago and they are always dry now, as Marlon mentioned it does seem a little drastic but it works and beats having orrible looking fogs
Its started to clear - how long did yours take?
It been damp and wet since I drilled the holes - does it take a dry warmer spell for the fogs to de-mist?
Good news is that they look ok inside - no rusting.
fogs.jpg
Took a good while Marlon as like you i did it in the winter I think it may have been 6 to 8 weeks until they were fully dry and i guess the damp weather slows down how quick they clear, (also my car is not driven much at all in winter) at first i thought it wasnt going to work but then one day I just noticed they were completely dry..been fine ever since

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Foggy fog lights

Post by patriot66 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:50 pm

Heat them up with a hairdryer on the glass and then aim the hairdryer at the holes to blow out the warm moist air ? :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

bluepain

Foggy fog lights

Post by bluepain » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:40 pm

Drilled holes in my fogs a month ago.
Totally clear now.

Phoenixboy

Foggy fog lights

Post by Phoenixboy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:17 pm

Drilled mine about a week ago, if they don’t clear I’ll blame Marlon it was his idea😜
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

Tullock

Foggy fog lights

Post by Tullock » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:02 pm

i may be missing something here but if i left the fogs on for a few hours or so ..... wouldn't they dry themselves out ? .... without the need for holes ?

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Foggy fog lights

Post by Marlon » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:18 pm

Tullock wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:02 pm i may be missing something here but if i left the fogs on for a few hours or so ..... wouldn't they dry themselves out ? .... without the need for holes ?
Yeh, but you will look like a tool and they will only fog up again :wink:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Tullock

Foggy fog lights

Post by Tullock » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:06 pm

i dont mind the tool part but where is the moisture coming from ?

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Foggy fog lights

Post by mr.tourette » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Tullock wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:02 pm i may be missing something here but if i left the fogs on for a few hours or so ..... wouldn't they dry themselves out ? .... without the need for holes ?
In a word... no :poke:

Im sure there are some clever solutions ie splitting the lights, drying, resealing etc but if you want a quick and permanent solution then the 3 drilled holes seems to be the easiest way forward