Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help - Bonnet not opening

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Machpb

Post by Machpb » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:48 pm

Hi guys,

Stuck with a little problem, I am unable to unlatch my bonnet to open it up to top up the oil.

The bonnet release in the cabin simply has no resistance and doesn’t feel normal, which I think may mean that the cable may have snapped?

I’ve tried pulling the latch and carefully pushing down on the bonnet with no luck!

Any ideas? I need to get the bonnet open to add oil after the top up warning came on and I commute a fair few miles per week.

It’s a 2006 BMW E85 3.0

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Grumpyowl » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:38 pm

Take off one of the grills to access the catch

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:43 pm

As above, lift grille and pull bottom forward. You'll then be able to operate the cam to release it with a long screwdriver.

There is a plastic joint just behind the drivers headlight that falls to pieces and stops the handle working.

Mike

ian in lancs

Post by ian in lancs » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:37 pm

classic problem! The catch is exposed to the elements so when you've sorted keep lubed with waterproof grease
I'm on my second Zed, a cosseted 2007 Interlagos Blue Z4M Roadster owned since new - 343 horses controlled by a donkey...

Daily driver is a 2012 X3 3.0d M Sport (fantastic) Wife has a 2015 325d Luxury

IAM Observer

Machpb

Post by Machpb » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:10 pm

Thanks chaps for your advice! I've managed to finally get the bonnet open by accessing the cable through the wheel arch.

However, I am now unable to close my bonnet properly, it just won't latch as it normally would. Has anyone come across a remedy for this by any chance?

Ant

Post by Ant » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:48 pm

f**k me i cannot for the life of me get mine open,
went through the grilles pulled the cable and can feel the wee "cog" that must move back to let the loop on the bonnet pop up past it, but it is not budging at all

with a long screw driver do you go up through where the cable feeds in or are you come from the opposite side ? my latch is not like this one

like this
it's a vertical cable and spun 90degrees clockwise

edit > changed the bottom picture, maybe can go vertically up the left hand side oft hat and catch the clip not much to hit though

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:14 pm

I think you can pop the 2 catches from the bulb replacement panels.. I'm sure I've popped mine by accident when messing around.. once they're released just open the usual way? - aka using you hand to pull the latch in the center open.

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ranski » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:15 pm

I had this last summer in my 2003. It took 3 days of spraying down with WD40 until it released. Once open i striped it down and cleaned it up, no trouble since then.

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention