Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sat nav screen faint

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
afennell

Sat nav screen faint

Post by afennell » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:16 am

Hello,

As soon as I started her up over the weekend I noticed straight away the sat nav screen looked very faint. It's as if it's lost all the colours. It now looks like an early laptop from the 80s. I have played around with few settings to no avail.

I'm going to try disconnecting the battery, before I do I'm hoping someone else has had the issue and there's an easy fix.

afennell

Sat nav screen faint

Post by afennell » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:39 pm

:tumbleweed:

Monkeydonkeyratmagic

Sat nav screen faint

Post by Monkeydonkeyratmagic » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:26 am

Have you tried just leaving it on and seeing if it improves? Mine is faint when I start it up for a few mins but gets brighter as it "warms up"
MR-2 Turbo Rev2

Yep no Z yet. On the hunt.

afennell

Sat nav screen faint

Post by afennell » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:17 pm

yeah, went for a long drive sunday.
Its not just faint, its almost unreadable, looks like all the colours are missing as well.

srhutch

Sat nav screen faint

Post by srhutch » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:33 pm

guessing the back light has gone.

I'd be trying to find a cheap used one with failed stepper motor and swap the LCD panel.

afennell

Sat nav screen faint

Post by afennell » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:57 pm

i had thought that, but its still bright, just faint.

afennell

Sat nav screen faint

Post by afennell » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:03 pm

Pic attached,
Attachments
IMG_0643.JPG
IMG_0643.JPG (180.48 KiB) Viewed 828 times

srhutch

Sat nav screen faint

Post by srhutch » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:56 pm

You’ve disconnected the battery?

After that I’d be removing the screen to check the connection. It’s just a push fit plug so might have come loose.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Sat nav screen faint

Post by GuidoK » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:55 pm

To me that looks like a bad connection somewhere. Could be to the screen module, but also at the LCD itself. Certain colours are missing.
I've never seen that before.

The LCD screen itself (so not the complete module but just the LCD part) is also available on ebay if you're confident to fiddle with small electronics.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

afennell

Sat nav screen faint

Post by afennell » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:57 am

Unfortunately disconnecting the battery did not help.

I will check the connections over the weekend.

Where does the screen get its feed from, is it the satnav unit? I'm wondering if its an issue with whatever produces the video.

Its typical I'd have an issue never seen before! :evil:

Monkeydonkeyratmagic

Sat nav screen faint

Post by Monkeydonkeyratmagic » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:03 am

Oh right, the LCD isn't faint it's f***ed. transistors have separated, no way to repair without a functioning one... at that point if you have a functioning one... just use that.

Think of it this way, If you get your laptop and spill water in the hinges this will happen, same with extreme cold or frost, or also if you knock it in the right spot it will dislodged it internally.

But it's not a signal / feed fault, you'd have flickering / random colour changes and possibly "tuning lines" running across it constantly.
MR-2 Turbo Rev2

afennell

Sat nav screen faint

Post by afennell » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:22 am

So its wait for a functioning screen on ebay, I bet they are thousands from BMW. :cry:

Is it just age and the cold weather thats caused this then?

Monkeydonkeyratmagic

Sat nav screen faint

Post by Monkeydonkeyratmagic » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:32 am

afennell wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:22 am So its wait for a functioning screen on ebay, I bet they are thousands from BMW. :cry:

Is it just age and the cold weather thats caused this then?
Most likely. Or a bump, bit of both. Just type into eBay z4 breaking and find a car that's got one and mail the breaker. Depends if you just want another. For the cost of a 2nd hand unit you could probably do the android tablet job and have that instead. Will take a lot longer to do and more grief but could be an ideal time of its coming out anyway. Guide for it in the how to section. I'm planning this in spring when it warms up a bit.
MR-2 Turbo Rev2

srhutch

Sat nav screen faint

Post by srhutch » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:11 pm

afennell wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:57 am Unfortunately disconnecting the battery did not help.

I will check the connections over the weekend.

Where does the screen get its feed from, is it the satnav unit? I'm wondering if its an issue with whatever produces the video.

Its typical I'd have an issue never seen before! :evil:
I would still check the connections. The feed is from the DVD drive which has two cam lock connectors so shouldn't be an issue there, but the connection to the monitor is just a push fir from memory so well worth a look for the few minutes it will take.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Sat nav screen faint

Post by pvr » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:51 pm

yes, just push connector. To remove the screen, you will have to take the radio out though to undo the screws which are there on the legs of the screen.

There are also three screws at the top of the dash near the windscreen side underneath a plastic strip that you need to remove.

Unless you are really lucky and the connector is on the left side of the radio in the dash so you can get to it from the glove box, but doubt it ..
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo