Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85/E86 Steering Problems (Solved)

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
simone1978

Post by simone1978 » Thu May 24, 2018 9:00 am

hello I have a bmw z4 2.2 of the year 2004.
the steering begins to present the defect of: sticky steering.
or tried to adjust the ring to increase the clearance of approximately 10mm. powers increase again by 5 mm and reach the end of the ring.
for now I tried the car only in the yard. and I have not noticed differeze of weight of the steering wheel.
my steering was the fault, only on very hot days.
is the right way?
I would not like to have changed the car's characteristic and make it dangerous.
sorry but I use a translator from italy.

thank you

alane29

Post by alane29 » Thu May 24, 2018 7:48 pm

wonkydonkey wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 7:18 pm Well my steering didn't enjoy baking in 25 °C heat all day today, so it seems my adjustments haven't removed the issue. Guess I'll be employing the column drilling/greasing strategy as well when I can get round to it
In my experience these fixes will work for a while but eventually the motor /ecu will give up .
in March 2015 my steering light came on had no sticky steering or any issues until then ,remove the motor and ecu sent it away and had it repaired for £500 with a 2 year warranty.
Refitted the motor steering worked but was sticky i added the grease nipple and greased the steering rack this helped about a year later steering notchy again done the ring adjustment everything was great until a very hot sunny day in may 2018 reversed out of work car parking space steering light on and no power steering by this stage i was ready to torch the car .
It wasnt my daily driver so i decided to take it off the road for 2 weeks and convert it to hydraulic steering and i have to say it was the best thing i ever done its now got proper power steering the way it should have been originally i would recommend this conversion to anyone first sign of motor /ecu issues .
Costs less than ecu repair and it a permanent fix
2007 E86 M Coupe
2005 E85 2.5SE

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Thu May 24, 2018 8:10 pm

alane29 I don't doubt that this is by far the best solution. It's something I'll have to consider if the cheap/free approaches don't do the trick. I'd also consider fitting the column from a later E85/E86 that was built with the updated column.
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

alane29

Post by alane29 » Thu May 24, 2018 8:36 pm

wonkydonkey wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:10 pm I'd also consider fitting the column from a later E85/E86 that was built with the updated column.
I did consider this but there hard to come by .
2007 E86 M Coupe
2005 E85 2.5SE

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Thu May 24, 2018 8:56 pm

In my experience these fixes will work for a while but eventually the motor /ecu will give up .
in March 2015 my steering light came on had no sticky steering or any issues until then ,remove the motor and ecu sent it away and had it repaired for £500 with a 2 year warranty.
Refitted the motor steering worked but was sticky i added the grease nipple and greased the steering rack this helped about a year later steering notchy again done the ring adjustment everything was great until a very hot sunny day in may 2018 reversed out of work car parking space steering light on and no power steering by this stage i was ready to torch the car .
It wasnt my daily driver so i decided to take it off the road for 2 weeks and convert it to hydraulic steering and i have to say it was the best thing i ever done its now got proper power steering the way it should have been originally i would recommend this conversion to anyone first sign of motor /ecu issues .
Costs less than ecu repair and it a permanent fix
[/quote]

Did you manage to overcome the eps/abs/dsc light/issues?
I have considered doing this conversion to mine should it pack up, but its this bit that I have concerns over.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

LordOxygen

Post by LordOxygen » Thu May 24, 2018 9:10 pm

Great thread chaps, I'm going to sort mine at some point over the next couple of weeks.
When lying in the footwell looking up, which direction do you turn the ring to loosen it by 5mm?

alane29

Post by alane29 » Thu May 24, 2018 9:24 pm

MACK wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:56 pm Did you manage to overcome the eps/abs/dsc light/issues?
I have considered doing this conversion to mine should it pack up, but its this bit that I have concerns over.
My motor/ecu is still connected but the shaft has been removed so it does not interfere with the column.the traction control works the sport button works ,i did have an issue initially after putting it all back together i had the dreaded 3 lights traction break and another one cant remember but this was due to the steering angle sensor being out of calibration i re calibrated it and reset the lights using inpa /dis .
I was left with the steering light only this will never go out so i removed the cluster and removed the LED
As far as i know there is no other way of dealing with it and as i have an mot in a months time this would be a definite failure although the steering has no faults try explaining that to an mot tester .
2007 E86 M Coupe
2005 E85 2.5SE

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Thu May 24, 2018 10:40 pm

alane29 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:24 pm
MACK wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:56 pm Did you manage to overcome the eps/abs/dsc light/issues?
My motor/ecu is still connected but the shaft has been removed so it does not interfere with the column.the traction control works the sport button works ,i did have an issue initially after putting it all back together i had the dreaded 3 lights traction break and another one cant remember but this was due to the steering angle sensor being out of calibration i re calibrated it and reset the lights using inpa /dis .
I was left with the steering light only this will never go out so i removed the cluster and removed the LED
As far as i know there is no other way of dealing with it and as i have an mot in a months time this would be a definite failure although the steering has no faults try explaining that to an mot tester .
I'm curious how others approached this compared to myself! I assume you used a set of E46 pipes for the PS fluid, did you bother with the cooler or not? I have mine mounted behind the fan and honestly it seems fine, just a small bracket bolted to the bulkhead to hold it.

Joycey

Post by Joycey » Thu May 24, 2018 10:58 pm

mjennings23 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:40 pm
I'm curious how others approached this compared to myself! I assume you used a set of E46 pipes for the PS fluid, did you bother with the cooler or not? I have mine mounted behind the fan and honestly it seems fine, just a small bracket bolted to the bulkhead to hold it.
I'm interested in this conversion but don't know anyone whos done it to the N52 engine, I've seen it done to a few M54 engines. This will be more difficult due to needing a pulley and space for the pump.

b19rak

Post by b19rak » Thu May 24, 2018 11:33 pm

simone1978 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:00 am hello I have a bmw z4 2.2 of the year 2004.
the steering begins to present the defect of: sticky steering.
or tried to adjust the ring to increase the clearance of approximately 10mm. powers increase again by 5 mm and reach the end of the ring.
for now I tried the car only in the yard. and I have not noticed differeze of weight of the steering wheel.
my steering was the fault, only on very hot days.
is the right way?
I would not like to have changed the car's characteristic and make it dangerous.
sorry but I use a translator from italy.

thank you
As others have said try turning it 5mm the other way from the original position.
07’ Z4 3.0si
Leicestershire

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Fri May 25, 2018 8:30 am

Thanks for the reply. Great job you've done there :thumbsup:
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Fri May 25, 2018 9:24 am

Joycey wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:58 pm
mjennings23 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:40 pm

I'm interested in this conversion but don't know anyone whos done it to the N52 engine, I've seen it done to a few M54 engines. This will be more difficult due to needing a pulley and space for the pump.
Believe the E60 pump would work fine assuming the mount isn't blocked by anything. On the M54 it has a different pulley in the place of where the PS pump would sit, so I assume it's the same deal. Would require a longer belt as per the M54 too, for instance I'm using a belt off an E46 now.

Lines may or may not work without modifying, as I don't know the fittings of the E60 rack Vs E46. Might have to get hoses custom-made.

Might be a case of buying a second hand set of both E60 and E46 lines, finding out what fits where, keeping the metal unions and getting a hydraulics company to make up new lines to suit the required unions.

Certainly doable but a bit of a pain compared to the bolt on E46 parts for the M54 engined variant.

alane29

Post by alane29 » Fri May 25, 2018 7:20 pm

Joycey wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:58 pm did you bother with the cooler or not?
I did fit the E46 cooler ring at the moment its in the lower front grill while i decide where is best to fit it permanently
2007 E86 M Coupe
2005 E85 2.5SE

grumpybri

Post by grumpybri » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:04 pm

Just adjusted the ring on mine as it was feeling notchy when warm. Managed with an e10 torx spanner, some swearing and much back bending.
Took it for a blast and all feels better now. :driving:
Alpina Roadster S Lux in black #206

maxman

Post by maxman » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:48 pm

grumpybri wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:04 pm Just adjusted the ring on mine as it was feeling notchy when warm. Managed with an e10 torx spanner, some swearing and much back bending.
Took it for a blast and all feels better now. :driving:

:thumbsup:
As a reference point for others ,did you move it clockwise and by how much.?