Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85/E86 Steering Problems (Solved)

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
dans6490

Post by dans6490 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:21 pm

Is anyone near west mids that would be willing to do this for me? I’ve changed everything I can think of to sort my floaty/wandering stearing but although improved, it’s still there.

Willing to pay in beer tokens or a new shiny air scoop once they’re finished????

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:30 pm

dans6490 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:21 pm Is anyone near west mids that would be willing to do this for me? I’ve changed everything I can think of to sort my floaty/wandering stearing but although improved, it’s still there.

Willing to pay in beer tokens or a new shiny air scoop once they’re finished????
If you were closer, I would do it for you mate :)
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

dans6490

Post by dans6490 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:21 pm

firebobby wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:30 pm
dans6490 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:21 pm Is anyone near west mids that would be willing to do this for me? I’ve changed everything I can think of to sort my floaty/wandering stearing but although improved, it’s still there.

If you were closer, I would do it for you mate :)
Cheers mate :thumbsup:

alane29

Post by alane29 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:28 pm

where about are you .im in bham
2007 E86 M Coupe
2005 E85 2.5SE

dans6490

Post by dans6490 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:36 pm

alane29 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:28 pm

where about are you .im in bham
Kidderminster, so not far from you

SonnyA85

Post by SonnyA85 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:47 pm

So what is the official fix for sticky steering on a 2003 car?

Is it greasing or loosening the column?

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:19 am

SonnyA85 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:47 pm So what is the official fix for sticky steering on a 2003 car?

I would start with adjusting the ring, plenty of info above :thumbsup:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

SonnyA85

Post by SonnyA85 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:27 pm

firebobby wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:19 am
SonnyA85 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:47 pm So what is the official fix for sticky steering on a 2003 car?

I would start with adjusting the ring, plenty of info above :thumbsup:
thanks for your help. yeah i read through the whole thread it's why i was confused. people suggest doing one or the other and some both. others recommend different depending on facelift or not.

PeteWard

Post by PeteWard » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:10 am

Last edited by PeteWard on Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:36 am

PeteWard wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:10 am Evening, all. I've just read through this forum, as my recently purchased 2007 Z4 has the exact same issue, light and twitchy steering over about 60mph. I'm not overly handy with cars, so don't want to attempt this myself. I'm in Leicester, can anyone help? I'd be eternally grateful...
The 2007 is a facelift car with the updated steering column so 'ring adjustment' should not be the issue. Do some searching on here for steering problems and you will find loads of info, but from experience I would look at removing RFT tyres if you have them, making sure whatever tyres you have are not overly worn or mis-matched, thoroughly check ALL suspension bushes front and rear (because of the suspension set-up these cars are prone to rear-steer effects if things are not right), particularly front end rear-lower trailing arm 'lollypop' bushes, ARB's, drop-links and track rod ends. Make sure the rear springs haven't broken the ends off (they ALL go), lubricate the two steering column UJ's and finally the one that will properly sort it but only after the above, get a quality 4 wheel alignment.

If you are not mechanical, the cheapest way to get all the above components inspected properly is to submit it to a local authority MOT testing station and tell them you think there might be a suspension /steering problem. They are thorough but don't do repairs so have no interest in drumming up business.
W Mids council MOT stations http://www.ukmot.com/Council-MOT-Test-C ... t-Midlands

https://www.money.co.uk/guides/council- ... ee-mot.htm
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:51 am

Ewazix wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:36 am
PeteWard wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:10 am Evening, all. I've just read through this forum, as my recently purchased 2007 Z4 has the exact same issue, light and twitchy steering over about 60mph. I'm not overly handy with cars, so don't want to attempt this myself. I'm in Leicester, can anyone help? I'd be eternally grateful...
The 2007 is a facelift car with the updated steering column so 'ring adjustment' should not be the issue. Do some searching on here for steering problems and you will find loads of info, but from experience I would look at removing RFT tyres if you have them, making sure whatever tyres you have are not overly worn or mis-matched, thoroughly check ALL suspension bushes front and rear (because of the suspension set-up these cars are prone to rear-steer effects if things are not right), particularly front end rear-lower trailing arm 'lollypop' bushes, ARB's, drop-links and track rod ends. Make sure the rear springs haven't broken the ends off (they ALL go), lubricate the two steering column UJ's and finally the one that will properly sort it but only after the above, get a quality 4 wheel alignment.

If you are not mechanical, the cheapest way to get all the above components inspected properly is to submit it to a local authority MOT testing station and tell them you think there might be a suspension /steering problem. They are thorough but don't do repairs so have no interest in drumming up business.
W Mids council MOT stations http://www.ukmot.com/Council-MOT-Test-C ... t-Midlands

https://www.money.co.uk/guides/council- ... ee-mot.htm
Whilst most people say facelift models aren't affected its not quite true.. after several years of ownership mine also started suffering from sticky steering last year and was quickly sorted by adjusting the ring and looking through the forum at the time it was far from the first :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:00 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:51 am
Ewazix wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:36 am
Whilst most people say facelift models aren't affected its not quite true.. after several years of ownership mine also started suffering from sticky steering last year and was quickly sorted by adjusting the ring and looking through the forum at the time it was far from the first :thumbsup:
Yes I've read that, but adjusting the ring just introduces slack in the column gear IF it is binding (the problem on some pre-facelifts), this is also an effective way of masking underlying problems in the suspension/tyres which cause the unpleasant feedback. If you have either facelift or pre-facelift it's vital to make sure the underlying suspension/tyre set-up is right first. I had it badly (as in ditch-finding!) when I got my pre-facelift back in 2010 and attending to all the basics I mention eventually sorted it without touching the column. It was a ball-ache to work through the list but I've had no problem since.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:06 pm

Ewazix wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:00 pmYes I've read that, but adjusting the ring just introduces slack in the column gear IF it is binding (the problem on some pre-facelifts)
It will only introduce slack if you turn it in the direction that introduces slack. If you turn it the other way, it will tighten up the feel. Judging by this fella's post, describing vague/slack steering, he wouldn't be adjusting it to make it even more slack. He would adjust to tighten it up.
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

PeteWard

Post by PeteWard » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:53 pm

Last edited by PeteWard on Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:52 pm

PeteWard wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:53 pm Thank you for the replies. Yes, the steering gets light and twitchy, not sticky. I should've mentioned that I've removed the runflats and had Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 fitted all round, I've experimented with tyre pressures. It's been to Sytner's and had a Hunter KDS alignment. These things improved the handling marginally, but it's still at a point where it drives me mad at times. I asked Sytner's to check over the suspension, they found no issues with springs or bushes. So I honestly feel that it would be worth trying this anti-clockwise tightening method. I suppose I could find an independent mechanic to do the work, something tells me that Sytner's wouldn't fancy the job
Thanks again.
I know that James the Wonkeydonkey has successfully done a few in our area so would defer to his expertise on slack ringing (oo-er nurse :wink: )
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost