Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85/E86 Steering Problems (Solved)

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:25 am

Anyone know if this fix might be applicable to E89's? The symptoms are very similar to what I'm experiencing (go back to the original description of 'knocking' rather than light or heavy steering/stickiness). I've changed the 17" RFT's to 18" non-RFT, had wheel alignment done, and had garage check all the bushes etc (twice now). All that seems left is suspension (Bilsteins) or possibly the fix in this thread.
I get vibration in the steering wheel when going around roundabouts and clunking/knocking when driving slowly on smooth roads or coming to a stop/starting from a stop.
Happy to give this solution a try if the E89 has the same ring adjustment
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Leesfarm07

Post by Leesfarm07 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:10 am

maxman wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:26 pm If you want to come upto Wrexham I will show/do it for you .Just make sure it's no raining. :D
Maxman that's a fab offer which I would love to take up thank you...let me know when would suit you best and I'll blow the cobwebs off the old girl :thumbsup:
Current
2012 Mercedes SLK 250 AMG Sport auto in black
Westfield SE 1800 Zetec on twin 45's Aldon-Tuned pocket rocket in orange
Gone but not forgotten my lovely Zed 2.5

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:08 am

enzed4 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:25 am Anyone know if this fix might be applicable to E89's? The symptoms are very similar to what I'm experiencing (go back to the original description of 'knocking' rather than light or heavy steering/stickiness). I've changed the 17" RFT's to 18" non-RFT, had wheel alignment done, and had garage check all the bushes etc (twice now). All that seems left is suspension (Bilsteins) or possibly the fix in this thread.
I get vibration in the steering wheel when going around roundabouts and clunking/knocking when driving slowly on smooth roads or coming to a stop/starting from a stop.
I removed the steering cowl and had a look around. Looks like there's no equivalent adjustment ring for the E89 (at least as far as I can tell). :(

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:45 am

enzed4 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:08 am
enzed4 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:25 am Anyone know if this fix might be applicable to E89's? The symptoms are very similar to what I'm experiencing (go back to the original description of 'knocking' rather than light or heavy steering/stickiness). I've changed the 17" RFT's to 18" non-RFT, had wheel alignment done, and had garage check all the bushes etc (twice now). All that seems left is suspension (Bilsteins) or possibly the fix in this thread.
I removed the steering cowl and had a look around. Looks like there's no equivalent adjustment ring for the E89 (at least as far as I can tell). :(
It's bad when you think BMW has known about the E85 steering issues and allows the same thing to happen on the E89. I wonder if we will be hearing about the problem on the new Z4 in a few years :|
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:03 pm

This does definitely sound like there is "play" in something (something is worn excessively) rather than the sticky or light steering E85/6 folks experience. Honestly I think you'll achieve nothing under the cowling. IIRC the motor/control unit on E89's is in the same place its in on later EPS equipped BMW's, mounted on the actual rack itself in the engine bay.
I'd be looking again under the bonnet/engine bay area rather than in the car. Get them to check the rack itself with both the car running and switched off. Also id check the rack to column joint etc. A knocking shocker is a possibility but I wouldn't have expected the vibration on cornering if it was that. Check the front top mounts etc. In fact I guess check everything again maybe at a different garage. This sounds like a classic case of the hard part in fixing something on a car is knowing what it is in the first place. Good luck with it!
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

PeteWard

Post by PeteWard » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:05 pm

Last edited by PeteWard on Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:16 pm

Glad you got it sorted, yes it makes such a difference to the steering.
Well done for offering help to others :thumbsup:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

PeteWard

Post by PeteWard » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:58 am

firebobby wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:16 pm Glad you got it sorted, yes it makes such a difference to the steering.
Well done for offering help to others :thumbsup:
Thanks. The steering now feels much better. It's never going to be super smooth, but that goes with the territory.

Not a problem. It's not very often that I'm useful to anyone, so I do what I can...

ULTRAVOX

Post by ULTRAVOX » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:25 pm

So glad I joined this forum!!..I also have the "twitchiness" on the steering. I thought initially it was wheel alignment.So took it to BMW for it to be checked but wasn't out by much.
I would really appreciate some help with this PeteWard. If the offer is still open?
Black Z4 3.0Si Coupé E86 Auto with 19" 3SDM 0.01 silver polished wheels.
https://flic.kr/p/RPTxT1
Image2019-01-02_11-06-33 by Andrew Chandler, on Flickr

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:52 am

MACK wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:03 pm
This does definitely sound like there is "play" in something (something is worn excessively) rather than the sticky or light steering E85/6 folks experience. Honestly I think you'll achieve nothing under the cowling. IIRC the motor/control unit on E89's is in the same place its in on later EPS equipped BMW's, mounted on the actual rack itself in the engine bay.
I'd be looking again under the bonnet/engine bay area rather than in the car. Get them to check the rack itself with both the car running and switched off. Also id check the rack to column joint etc. A knocking shocker is a possibility but I wouldn't have expected the vibration on cornering if it was that. Check the front top mounts etc. In fact I guess check everything again maybe at a different garage. This sounds like a classic case of the hard part in fixing something on a car is knowing what it is in the first place. Good luck with it!
Thanks for the tips. It does look like it's been traced to the front shocks (the shafts and seals are worn/damaged) but I won't know 100% until they're rebuilt and back on the car.

Tony Thompson

Post by Tony Thompson » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:23 pm

Absolutely fantastic post that's undoubtedly saved £££.
Recommend a good quality e11spanner. And be prepared to be upside down with your head in the footwell

Good luck :)

synthedup

Post by synthedup » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:58 pm

ULTRAVOX wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:25 pm So glad I joined this forum!!..I also have the "twitchiness" on the steering. I thought initially it was wheel alignment.So took it to BMW for it to be checked but wasn't out by much.
I would really appreciate some help with this PeteWard. If the offer is still open?

Where are you based? Anyone near Sheffield who would like this doing I’m happy to.

ULTRAVOX

Post by ULTRAVOX » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:18 am

I'm in Evesham (or Cov) most of the time but don't mind the drive. This issue is starting to really annoy me. (Along with all the idiots that keep ringing about the sale of my 3 series!). :headbang:
Has anyone got a price on how much bmw charge for this?
Surely this should have been a "recall" job?
Black Z4 3.0Si Coupé E86 Auto with 19" 3SDM 0.01 silver polished wheels.
https://flic.kr/p/RPTxT1
Image2019-01-02_11-06-33 by Andrew Chandler, on Flickr

synthedup

Post by synthedup » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:10 am

ULTRAVOX wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:18 am I'm in Evesham (or Cov) most of the time but don't mind the drive. This issue is starting to really annoy me. (Along with all the idiots that keep ringing about the sale of my 3 series!). :headbang:
Has anyone got a price on how much bmw charge for this?
Surely this should have been a "recall" job?
Shame you're not closer! yours about 3 hours from me.

Tony Thompson

Post by Tony Thompson » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:16 am

This is pretty straight forward fix. Trust me, if I managed it anyone can.