Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85/E86 Steering Problems (Solved)

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
synthedup

Post by synthedup » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:08 pm

rooha wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:53 pm
bladeowner wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:08 pm How about this one from Amazon?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-Hi-Torq ... A419158031
sigh - order cancelled by seller ! :headbang:

You need a 8mm ratchet spanner and another ring spanner to use for leaverdge,

Where are you based?

bladeowner

Post by bladeowner » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:10 pm

:o
2004 Sapphire Black 2.5 SE Z4 SMG

PeteWard

Post by PeteWard » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:10 am

Last edited by PeteWard on Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

synthedup

Post by synthedup » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:55 am

PeteWard wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:10 am
synthedup wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:08 pm
rooha wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:53 pm
sigh - order cancelled by seller ! :headbang:

You need a 8mm ratchet spanner and another ring spanner to use for leaverdge,

Where are you based?
One spanner is enough, providing it's extra long, that's how I did it...
But if he doesn't have one then the above is a solution to get move leverage.

PeteWard

Post by PeteWard » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:27 am

Last edited by PeteWard on Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rooha

Post by rooha » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:54 pm

PeteWard wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:27 am
synthedup wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:55 am
PeteWard wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:10 am One spanner is enough, providing it's extra long, that's how I did it...
But if he doesn't have one then the above is a solution to get move leverage.
Fair enough! I'm happy to help anyone who can travel to Leicester, I have an extra long shaft ;)
hello sailor !
Well I've purchased a couple of cheap offset spanners from ebay that might just do the trick - Saturday or Sunday I'll get to it I reckon (im in manchester by the way.

rooha

Post by rooha » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:49 pm

just an update for anyone interested - Aldi are currently ( 18/2/19) selling a set of flex-head ratchet spanners that did the trick for me (£10). 8mm fits just right with another on the end for a bit of leverage. I know some people have said a flat spanner is enough and It would be IF the bolt is lined up just right to get started, other wise ratchet & flex-head spanner is 100% necessary for the one nearest the steering wheel. The other (nearest the pedals) is just about do-able with a flat spanner ( i managed it but actually found it much easier with the flex head.).

then its anticlockwise (as you are looking at the unit) a few MM to tighten up the steering. Once you've done this once and cracked the best way to fit yourself and your spannners in place if you need to get back in you will be able to do the job in 10 minutes.

PeteWard

Post by PeteWard » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:48 pm

Last edited by PeteWard on Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rooha

Post by rooha » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:20 pm

it certainly seemed that way for me - i copied this from earlier in the thread

Edit: After further investigation I have found that my original adjustments were in the wrong direction after reading conflicting instructions. I have yet to test drive the car but please note: ACW adjustment = tighter, CW adjustment = looser (RHD car).

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:13 pm

rooha those are my words you've quoted above. I originally followed the directions that were written when viewing the column from the opposite side, when the whole assembly was removed from the car. I contacted the OP and he swapped the wording in line with the text of mine that you quoted on this page :)
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

rooha

Post by rooha » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:52 pm

wonkydonkey wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:13 pm rooha those are my words you've quoted above. I originally followed the directions that were written when viewing the column from the opposite side, when the whole assembly was removed from the car. I contacted the OP and he swapped the wording in line with the text of mine that you quoted on this page :)
hah - I read and re-read this thread bunch of times to clarify things in my mind. The when was happy i knew what i was doing copied those words onto a txt file and left it open on my desktop for about 10 days until i got around to the job. because i cant seem to remember instructions for more than five minutes these days. i blame going to university in the Madchester days for that. :dizzy:

Littlerascle

Post by Littlerascle » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:23 am

:headbang: :headbang:

Ok, so I have been completing a few maintenance items and have found that despite what my build sheet says (original owner - actually my dad's hand me down that's been sitting in a garage for several years) the car has some obvious euro parts despite being a US spec car. (Radio, cam sensor, convertible hinges and motor, to name a few)

So, anyone have a left hand drive that can guide me with this. I have lost track of the RH / LH drive CW vs ACW, facing the car vs underneath and upside down, variance in this thread. I've been wanting to do this fix for some time. I have started a few times but every time I start I realize the photos don't seem similar to what I'm looking at.

2003 3.0i 59,000mi

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:23 am

Littlerascle I'd recommend raising the front wheels off the ground for this task. Before you begin, mark the adjustor ring and adjacent motor housing so you can always return things to your start point. Loosen off the two pinch bolts, and you can now turn the adjustor ring by hand. Turn the steering wheel left and right to get a feel for the resistance in the column, then rotate the adjustor ring either way, noting the change in the steering feel each time. Rotating the ring a long way in one direction will make the steering tighten up, rotating it the other way will introduce some free play (particularly noticeable if you "jiggle" the steering wheel from left to right).

This is the process I go through to set the adjustor ring. Once I'm happy, I tighten the pinch bolts and then feel the steering again afterwards (the weight of the steering can change a little with the tightening of the pinch bolts). When everything feels good, drop it down and take it for a test drive. If you're satisfied, re-fit the plastic trim panel and give yourself a pat on the back :)
Previous:

<My name is James>

Littlerascle

Post by Littlerascle » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:29 am

Ok...so I think I got the correct"sight picture" and the correct bolts (maybe). So here is the next question....the 'disc' the needs to be rotated is parallel to the car itself. It runs front to rear (engine to bonnet) so should it rotate towards the engine or towards the bonnet (trunk)? Which direction is considered CW?

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:27 am

Littlerascle if you follow the procedure I typed out above, you will find that out for yourself and there will be no doubt. Trust :) If you mark the current position before you begin adjusting, you have nothing to fear because you can put everything back to where it was if needed.
Previous:

<My name is James>