Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85/E86 Steering Problems (Solved)

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Rob_benton

Post by Rob_benton » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:16 pm

After moving mine it feels great now on the motorway. But, when I’m driving (more noticeable with one hand) on a straight motorway and go to change lane , The steering wheel needs a slight amount of force to move out of the 12 o’clock position.
Is this typical normal electric power steering symptom I’ve never noticed or is it due to the adjustment I’ve made ?
2005 Z4 3.0 Black, Zhp gear knob.

DaveD

Post by DaveD » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:47 pm

I’ve just had a play with the steering as described. Was fiddly but when I managed to get the bolts loose (8mm ratchet spanner) the ring moved easily. First went 5mm the one way - steering was a little more twitchy so must have turned the wrong way. Tried 5mm from OE position the other way (moving bottom of ring towards the driver) and all is much better!

I reckon you loose a bit of feedback through the wheel but let’s be honest it wasn’t ever great. However it’s more the made up for by the stability. Had a quick bash down a bumpy B road near me and felt so much more confident on it. The wheel wasn’t deflected in the way I’m used to, and so the car held the line better, particularly straight ahead where I always found it would wander more due to no pressure on the rack.

Really pleased with this fix. Thanks to those who have brought this to the rest of us!!!
Z4 Coupe 3.0si - Stratus Grey - M sport seats, headlining, New England, Carver, Cruise, Xenons, sT XTAs, Eisenmann race, 18” 405m
G21 M340i - Tanzanite - Tech Pack, Comfort + Pack, Visibility pack, pan roof.

Joycey

Post by Joycey » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:22 am

Rob_benton wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:16 pmAfter moving mine it feels great now on the motorway. But, when I’m driving (more noticeable with one hand) on a straight motorway and go to change lane , The steering wheel needs a slight amount of force to move out of the 12 o’clock position.
Is this typical normal electric power steering symptom I’ve never noticed or is it due to the adjustment I’ve made ?
Back the ring off ever so slightly, The smallest amount of movement really changes the feel.

jamesymurray

Post by jamesymurray » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:29 pm

I have just done this on my Zed, after having the horrendous 'sticky steering' I have managed to get rid of most of the sticky symptoms. it was originally most obvious when taking sweeping long bends, that feels like it has gone. I did have to move the ring CW (as looking from the footwell up) around 20mm.

However there is still some stickiness then, but only when the steering is only just off dead straight, it feels a bit more stiff and notchy just off centre in each direction. I have tried giving the UJ's under the bonnet a good dollop of grease, but still cannot get it to go away.

maxman

Post by maxman » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:21 pm

jamesymurray wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:29 pm I have just done this on my Zed, after having the horrendous 'sticky steering' I have managed to get rid of most of the sticky symptoms. it was originally most obvious when taking sweeping long bends, that feels like it has gone. I did have to move the ring CW (as looking from the footwell up) around 20mm.

However there is still some stickiness then, but only when the steering is only just off dead straight, it feels a bit more stiff and notchy just off centre in each direction. I have tried giving the UJ's under the bonnet a good dollop of grease, but still cannot get it to go away.
That seems a big move,most only move around 5mm.

Kamuela

Post by Kamuela » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:46 am

Some of the guys on the German site were in the 15-20 mm range. My sticking was severe, I end up at 14-15 mm. 5 did nothing much except give me hope. It's a pretty flat curve, so I doubt a few mm one way or another makes much difference. I wonder; has anybody gone obviously way too far, and with what result? I would imagine a lot of extra play would manifest as erratic assist, or maybe a clunky response as the worm catches up to the spur. Certainly not looseness, since there is still a direct connection between the wheel and the rack.

ionofchios

Post by ionofchios » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:03 am

I’ve mucked around a lot with mine and did not find a setting where it stopped working basically as it should, no matter how far you adjust it. The worm gear does not become disengaged, or anything like that. On mine, it seemed that going a few mm at a time did not do anything noticeable, but if you wind it way over, then back it off again to about where you started, plus a few mm, it did something. May just be my experience, though, and it may also be to do with how far out the whole thing is in the first place.

jamesymurray

Post by jamesymurray » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:29 am

I guess it will be a case of trial and error. Luckily it is quite straighforward to adjust once you know how to get to it.
I have managed to eliminate the horrible stickiness at any given position, but just have that slight stickiness just off dead straight.

jamesymurray

Post by jamesymurray » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:08 pm

I get the wooden spoon for dunce of the year. Was adjusting he wrong way originally.
Anyway, once I realised my CW from ACW it’s cured it all. Cheers everyone.

Wrighty z4

Post by Wrighty z4 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:15 am

:thumbsup:

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Mon May 07, 2018 11:25 pm

This thread is seriously encouraging. I picked up my first Z4 today, looking forward to the hot and sunny drive home with the roof down...and felt the sticky steering as soon as I pulled away from the seller's house :cry: The drive home was almost scary and really spoilt what should've been a fantastic day.

I am already unrealistically pinning all of my hopes on this excellent thread. Those of you who have contributed here are the reason the internet is good! I'll be sure to post back with my findings as soon as I rip it all apart with glee :D

Edit: I had to do quite a bit of digging to find what must be one of THE most valuable (especially considering the £2,500 column replacement) threads on this forum. Does this qualify for being pinned to the top?
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

cmaza

Post by cmaza » Tue May 08, 2018 5:01 pm

Hi All,

I picked up a Z4 a month or so back and have noticed that it has 'sticky steering'. The steering also makes a sleight waling noise when doing a full lock to the right.

Before attempting to to adjust the ring I am thinking to put some grease as the old owner had the car sitting around for a few years. Is there any guidance on where to put grease/ what sort of grease to use?

Regards

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Tue May 08, 2018 8:14 pm

Got home from work tonight and got straight to work on the car. Access was far better than I had imagined. All you have to do is push your seat right back, adjust the steering wheel towards the driver as far as possible and as low as possible and an 8 mm ringkey spanner drops onto the two star drive clamping bolts.

I made a 5 mm adjustment but couldn't feel a big difference. I then made a second 5 mm adjustment and the sticky steering was pretty much gone! I nudged it 2-3 mm more when I got home again and will leave it there. What a massive relief to have been gifted a solution that doesn't involve a £2,500 column replacement. Thanks a bunch guys :thumbsup: Now I need to fix the wheel alignment issues I can feel through my improved steering! :D

I'm based in Somerset and would be happy to help anyone nearby who isn't sure how to tackle this issue.
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

b19rak

Post by b19rak » Wed May 09, 2018 12:00 am

Anyone in Leicestershire/Warwickshire done this?
07’ Z4 3.0si
Leicestershire

BB16 STU

Post by BB16 STU » Sat May 12, 2018 2:47 pm

I am pleased to report another success story.
After waiting for the correct torque spanner (E11) to arrive via flebay, i managed to loosen off the bolts (to prevent too much bolt head rounding) then used an 8mm extended, double jointed socket on one of the bolts to loosen off fully. I then moved the unit approx 5-6mm ACW, re-tightened and there was a noticeable difference. The sticky issue appears to have gone.
Took it out for a 30min blast (allowing the car to warm up fully) and felt my confidence levels increase in the steering. It may require a bit more fettling but it feels significantly better so i'll leave 'as is' for now.

Thanks for all the advice and effort which has gone into this post.
Current:
2016 BMW F30 330e Msport+
2004 BMW E85 Z4 3.0se (manual)
Previous:
2003 E39 530i Msport (auto)
2004 E46 330ci Msport (manual)
2008 E85 Z4 3.0si se (manual)
2008 E92 330i Msport (auto)