Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wipers not working

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
BumpyZ4

Wipers not working

Post by BumpyZ4 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:09 am

Can you see through the "L" shape part of the cover to see if there are relays underneath?
2003 E85 3.0i Sterling Gray
KLR 650
Diva Roadster (Kit Car)

McTyke

Wipers not working

Post by McTyke » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:17 pm

Not really.
Well fitted the used fuse board taking care to ensure all relays and fuses were exactly the same. Fiddly but not too bad. Still wipers don't work :x
So car is going in to my local Indy - Colin at BMS. Hopefully he will figure it. Will keep thread up-dated.
Z4 2.5se Auto 2004 Sterling Grey Convertible

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Wipers not working

Post by bigwinn » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:29 pm

I’m proper scratching my head on this one
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Wipers not working

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:33 pm

bigwinn wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:29 pm I’m proper scratching my head on this one
Same here. It seems every component has been checked except the wiring?

My next suggestion would be to remove the wiper motor...................and fit a new car to it. :roll:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Zulu4

Wipers not working

Post by Zulu4 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:40 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:33 pm My next suggestion would be to remove the wiper motor...................and fit a new car to it. :roll:
:rofl:
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

McTyke

Wipers not working

Post by McTyke » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:45 am

So finally. Seems there was no signal coming from the GM5 module to the wipers. Now I had had this repaired when I got the car as the central locking was not working. As you may know, when the GM5 is disconnected several components don't work - including wipers. So clearly there is something in the GM5 critical to wiper operation. Note - it was not throwing any error messages. So got a used GM5 of E-bay for £70 and once fitted and coded to car - wipers working. Booked in for MOT later so hopefully the lady who bought the car from me will have her back for the weekend. Hopefully I will be re-warded with some good karma considering the lengths I have gone to to sort out a sold as seen Z4. I didn't want her to get ripped off by some unscrupulous garage. Big thanks to Colin at BMS for his patience and knowledge. :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Wipers not working

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:20 am

McTyke wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:45 am So finally. Seems there was no signal coming from the GM5 module to the wipers. Now I had had this repaired when I got the car as the central locking was not working. As you may know, when the GM5 is disconnected several components don't work - including wipers. So clearly there is something in the GM5 critical to wiper operation. Note - it was not throwing any error messages. So got a used GM5 of E-bay for £70 and once fitted and coded to car - wipers working. Booked in for MOT later so hopefully the lady who bought the car from me will have her back for the weekend. Hopefully I will be re-warded with some good karma considering the lengths I have gone to to sort out a sold as seen Z4. I didn't want her to get ripped off by some unscrupulous garage. Big thanks to Colin at BMS for his patience and knowledge. :thumbsup:
Well done for persevering.
What led you to that then?

McTyke

Wipers not working

Post by McTyke » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:33 am

I had tried everything else - it was Colin at BMS who then traced it to the GM5 and it was a case of it really can't be anything else. Still a nervous wait until this morning when he told me the wipers were working again. I had contacted the company who repaired the GM5 asking if he had come across any issues like this previously. He reckons wiper failure is nearly always motor or external relay and any issues relating to GM5 would throw up error codes. Clearly not the case. I had trawled the internet for hours and found no mention of GM5 and wiper failure.
Hope this helps anyone who have similar issues.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Wipers not working

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:36 am

McTyke wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:33 am I had tried everything else - it was Colin at BMS who then traced it to the GM5 and it was a case of it really can't be anything else. Still a nervous wait until this morning when he told me the wipers were working again. I had contacted the company who repaired the GM5 asking if he had come across any issues like this previously. He reckons wiper failure is nearly always motor or external relay and any issues relating to GM5 would throw up error codes. Clearly not the case. I had trawled the internet for hours and found no mention of GM5 and wiper failure.
Hope this helps anyone who have similar issues.
Indeed, thanks for detailing it all for future reference.