Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Windshield washers not working

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
BrentonW

Post by BrentonW » Wed May 12, 2021 2:06 am

Just joined the Z4 club this week with a 2008 3.0si coupe! Super excited about it and loving every second! The only issue as of now is the windshield washers aren’t working (the nozzles that squirt out fluid).

Local BMW mechanic cleared a couple codes for me, but was still showing this fault code relating to the nozzles;

GENERAL MODULE 5
(GM5) (zke5_s12)
74 Spray nozzle heater, left: open circuit

When I try to spray them, I don’t hear the pump trying to do anything so I feel like the pump maybe needs replaced, but that fault code seems to indicate another issue. Any thoughts?

colb

Post by colb » Wed May 12, 2021 8:55 am

Heated washer nozzle on the left has burnt out going by that code, shouldn't have affected the pump, if you cant hear the motor running first check the fuse is good. If the fuse is ok then need to check if the motor is getting 12v when the stalk is operated, if 12v is getting there then pump may have died or its blocked with gunge. Best take the reservoir out and give it a good clean out also blow the water lines to the nozzels out with some air if you have a compressor.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

BrentonW

Post by BrentonW » Wed May 12, 2021 3:32 pm

Great! Thanks for the info. That’s very helpful.

blunderthumbs

Post by blunderthumbs » Wed May 12, 2021 5:26 pm

The bottom of the washer tank gunges up over time and clogs the pump. (A result of Cheap screen wash) You could try running boiling water through it. Others on the forum have suggested Milton steri tabs dissolved in the tank. Failing that take the tank off, remove the pump and clear the jelly like gunge that will have settled in there. :thumbsup:
2004 Black Sapphire 3.0L SE. Red leather. Back box delete. Clutch valve delete. Roof motor relocated. 18" M star spoke style 193. Machine Monkey exhaust tips. Gap Tec. ZHP Gear knob. Clear side repeaters. Zun Sport lower grille.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed May 12, 2021 6:59 pm

Welcome to the forum by the way. :thumbsup:

When the screenwashers on my previous E86 wouldn't work I took the reservoir out (not a difficult job on these) and found the filters on the washer pumps smothered in green gunge! Cleaned them up, flushed the reservoir, put it all back together and filled it - working washers. :)

BMW screenwash seems to do this whenever you put any other fluid in with it. I just used cheap stuff from a supermarket and had no issues over the next 3 years - the secret seems to be not mixing brands.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

BrentonW

Post by BrentonW » Thu May 13, 2021 12:37 am

Thanks for the suggestions! I replaced the pump today and now everything is working! Seems a little odd considering the code I got referring to a specific nozzle, but everything seems to be working as it should now!

Thanks!