Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Instrument panel not working

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Prickaerts

Post by Prickaerts » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:16 pm

Hi, yesterday the battery died (I guess I think it's still the original battery, the indicator light on it was black), car wouldn't start, windows opening very slowly, only one orange light did light up on the instrument cluster (don't remember which one, thought it was something in the middle around the top). This morning tried jump starting it, didn't worked (maybe battery of the other car wasn't great). This afternoon tried it again with another car and it worked!
But then my instrument cluster didn't work.. no lights on the screen (or on the mf steering wheel), no time, speedo, gasmeter also not working.. But the radio did work (but only the start up screen (BMW logo) showed up, nothing else), the volume could be adjusted, ventilation worked (airco not tested), seat warmers too.
Turn signals just make one click sound but after that didn't made a sound, but they worked (outside the car I mean).
Drove to the dealer, parked, tried to start it, worked(but no instrument lights).. tried it again, but the same problem (no power). They jumpstarted it, still no instrument lights. Drove it inside, tried to read it with the computer, but it couldn't make a connection..
It was late so the car will be looked at tomorrow or monday, maybe someone here had the same problem (could't find it in a topic) so maybe I can advise the dealer (much cheaper;)) Thanks in advance!

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Instrument panel not working

Post by firebobby » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:23 pm

It seems that these cars have to have a very good battery, if not, then you get all sorts of issues and it sounds like you are suffering because of the battery condition.

Get a new battery
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:54 pm

Seconded, get a new battery and fit it yourself. I have a Varta E44 that I am happy with which was about £60 delivered. Once a battery has fully discharged it will never be the same again so is worth changing. It is worth checking your alternator output to make sure that is good, then might be worth thinking about what caused the initial drain.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Prickaerts

Post by Prickaerts » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:34 am

Solved! New battery and no problem anymore!

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:11 am

I had the exact same problem after my battery drained (had the lights on too long while testing my headlights in the garage). I jump started it, but then no instrument cluster. I disconnected my battery, and when I reattached, the instruments lit up and worked again. So, you may have not needed to replace your battery to get the cluster to work again, all you need to do is just temporarily disconnect the battery to reset it.

tja623

Post by tja623 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:08 pm

SOLVED!!! I had all the same exact symptoms described and discovered my airbag module was corroded!!! All part of the KBUS!!! the pics I'm posting this thread may help... Advise all to at least check it out.. Just unplug it and everything works properly !!! Be advised your airbags won't work unless you replace the module. Also, you don't have to remove the entire center console to just unplug the airbag module, just need to remove the upper portion between the seat backs...kinda tough if you cant get the top down, otherwise it can be accomplished at home. There are some YouTube videos on removing the center console, but watch the latter portion to see how to remove only what you need to move...I learned the hard way!!! Good luck.
Attachments
z4 airbag module 2.jpg
z4 airbag module 2.jpg (178.12 KiB) Viewed 2821 times
z4 airbag module 1.jpg
z4 airbag module 1.jpg (142.06 KiB) Viewed 2821 times

tja623

Post by tja623 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:09 pm

Jfgoldfish

Post by Jfgoldfish » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:04 pm

tja623 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:16 pm my airbag module was corroded!!!
Do you know if these are the modules that are referred to as satellite b pillar left and right?
When I plug my car into ISTA, the two satellite airbag modules are unresponsive.

There is no airbag light on, I am not too interested in fixing the issue. I am just curious to know what the problem might be. I am assuming they will be corroded in some way, like yours were.
2006 Z4 2.0i Ruby Black

BumpyZ4

Post by BumpyZ4 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:12 pm

No, the Satellite modules are mounted on the side of the car just aft of the seats.
2003 E85 3.0i Sterling Gray
KLR 650
Diva Roadster (Kit Car)