E85 / E86 Water Deflector fixings

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
User avatar
samuir1974
Member
Member
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:49 pm
Location: West Yorkshire

E85 / E86 Water Deflector fixings

Post by samuir1974 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:30 pm

Hi folks,

Popped the bonnet on the Z4 2006 to do some winter maintenance today.
Found this loose plastic piece which i'd never come across before.....

Seems to be the Water Deflector for the HVAC intake and attached to the underside of the bonnet. Item #1 (bmw 64116924539)
Just need to get the fixings ordered - the old ones appear lost and gone? Anyone had the issue and got the part number for the fixings or a better fix?

Thanks in advance.
Ste.

Image
Current - 2017 Audi RS7 Performance
Gone - 2006 BMW Z4 2.5Si Sport
Gone - 2018 VW Golf .:R
Gone - 2010 BMW Z4 35iS
Gone - 2009 VW Passat .:R36

User avatar
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 3486
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:05 am
Location: Attleborough, Norfolk

E85 / E86 Water Deflector fixings

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:46 pm

Item 5? - 51711958025

If that's the Realoem picture then the list should be directly below it?
E89 20i SDrive M Sport - Valencia Orange
E85 2.5i - Sterling Grey - Better half's fun car

User avatar
samuir1974
Member
Member
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:49 pm
Location: West Yorkshire

E85 / E86 Water Deflector fixings

Post by samuir1974 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:51 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:46 pm Item 5? - 51711958025
If that's the Realoem picture then the list should be directly below it?
Thanks - found the picture elsewhere in the first instance.... now located it on realoem as you say.
Item #5 is shown but not sure if i need 7 as well - its unclear to me on the mechanism - seeing as no existing fittings survived :x

Plus - interested if anyone has an improved fix.

Cheers,
Ste.
Current - 2017 Audi RS7 Performance
Gone - 2006 BMW Z4 2.5Si Sport
Gone - 2018 VW Golf .:R
Gone - 2010 BMW Z4 35iS
Gone - 2009 VW Passat .:R36

User avatar
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 3486
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:05 am
Location: Attleborough, Norfolk

E85 / E86 Water Deflector fixings

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:26 pm

samuir1974 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:51 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:46 pm Item 5? - 51711958025
If that's the Realoem picture then the list should be directly below it?
Thanks - found the picture elsewhere in the first instance.... now located it on realoem as you say.
Item #5 is shown but not sure if i need 7 as well - its unclear to me on the mechanism - seeing as no existing fittings survived :x

Plus - interested if anyone has an improved fix.

Cheers,
Ste.
Wife is out in the car, so can't check, but I think Item 7 is to hold the big drain tube in place.
Looking at the diagram, I would expect to see four corresponding studs on the car bodywork that the Item 5 nuts fit on to.
E89 20i SDrive M Sport - Valencia Orange
E85 2.5i - Sterling Grey - Better half's fun car

User avatar
samuir1974
Member
Member
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:49 pm
Location: West Yorkshire

E85 / E86 Water Deflector fixings

Post by samuir1974 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:06 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:26 pm Wife is out in the car, so can't check, but I think Item 7 is to hold the big drain tube in place.
Looking at the diagram, I would expect to see four corresponding studs on the car bodywork that the Item 5 nuts fit on to.
Indeed buddy - that's my issue exactly; the underside of the bonnet only has 4 holes - not studs.
Hence why the diagram isnt quite making sense for this one... :headbang:

Appreciate if you can check or share an image when you get access.... thanks.
Current - 2017 Audi RS7 Performance
Gone - 2006 BMW Z4 2.5Si Sport
Gone - 2018 VW Golf .:R
Gone - 2010 BMW Z4 35iS
Gone - 2009 VW Passat .:R36

User avatar
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 3486
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:05 am
Location: Attleborough, Norfolk

E85 / E86 Water Deflector fixings

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:33 pm

samuir1974 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:06 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:26 pm Wife is out in the car, so can't check, but I think Item 7 is to hold the big drain tube in place.
Looking at the diagram, I would expect to see four corresponding studs on the car bodywork that the Item 5 nuts fit on to.
Indeed buddy - that's my issue exactly; the underside of the bonnet only has 4 holes - not studs.
Hence why the diagram isnt quite making sense for this one... :headbang:

Appreciate if you can check or share an image when you get access.... thanks.
Wifey only just got home, it's dark and pi$$ing down!
Send me a reminder in the morning :thumbsup:
E89 20i SDrive M Sport - Valencia Orange
E85 2.5i - Sterling Grey - Better half's fun car

User avatar
samuir1974
Member
Member
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:49 pm
Location: West Yorkshire

E85 / E86 Water Deflector fixings

Post by samuir1974 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:28 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:33 pm Wifey only just got home, it's dark and pi$$ing down!
Send me a reminder in the morning :thumbsup:
Any joy with some images buddy? Still no further forward on this - thanks
Current - 2017 Audi RS7 Performance
Gone - 2006 BMW Z4 2.5Si Sport
Gone - 2018 VW Golf .:R
Gone - 2010 BMW Z4 35iS
Gone - 2009 VW Passat .:R36

User avatar
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 3486
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:05 am
Location: Attleborough, Norfolk

E85 / E86 Water Deflector fixings

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:53 am

samuir1974 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:28 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:33 pm Wifey only just got home, it's dark and pi$$ing down!
Send me a reminder in the morning :thumbsup:
Any joy with some images buddy? Still no further forward on this - thanks
Completely forgot, sorry.
Just got them now.
Assuming you mean the hard plastic bit under the passenger side of the bonnet?
Mine seems to be fitted with the plastic rivets, more like Item 7 in the picture.
IMG_1256.JPG
IMG_1256.JPG (94.85 KiB) Viewed 288 times
IMG_1258.JPG
IMG_1258.JPG (83.88 KiB) Viewed 288 times
E89 20i SDrive M Sport - Valencia Orange
E85 2.5i - Sterling Grey - Better half's fun car

User avatar
samuir1974
Member
Member
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:49 pm
Location: West Yorkshire

E85 / E86 Water Deflector fixings

Post by samuir1974 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:19 pm

Thanks for the images buddy - and confirming my suspicions....
The tech diagram showing item #5 seems totally wrong.

I did order item #7 on that basis but at approx 4mm width - the rivets seem a little too small.
Going to try get hold of a 5mm version and re-check the fitment.

Thanks again for taking the time to post the images :thumbsup:
Current - 2017 Audi RS7 Performance
Gone - 2006 BMW Z4 2.5Si Sport
Gone - 2018 VW Golf .:R
Gone - 2010 BMW Z4 35iS
Gone - 2009 VW Passat .:R36

User avatar
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 3486
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:05 am
Location: Attleborough, Norfolk

E85 / E86 Water Deflector fixings

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:53 pm

samuir1974 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:19 pm Thanks for the images buddy - and confirming my suspicions....
The tech diagram showing item #5 seems totally wrong.

I did order item #7 on that basis but at approx 4mm width - the rivets seem a little too small.
Going to try get hold of a 5mm version and re-check the fitment.

Thanks again for taking the time to post the images :thumbsup:
No problem. sorry it took so long.
If originality wasn't an issue you could maybe pop-rivet it on, but my concern would be the extra gripping pressure cracking the plastic.

Had a thought, could you whip out one of the plastic screw rivets that hold the front infill panel over the radiator and see if that fits? If so, you'd get a number to order. Probably work just as well?
E89 20i SDrive M Sport - Valencia Orange
E85 2.5i - Sterling Grey - Better half's fun car

User avatar
samuir1974
Member
Member
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:49 pm
Location: West Yorkshire

E85 / E86 Water Deflector fixings

Post by samuir1974 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:16 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:53 pm No problem. sorry it took so long.
If originality wasn't an issue you could maybe pop-rivet it on, but my concern would be the extra gripping pressure cracking the plastic.

Had a thought, could you whip out one of the plastic screw rivets that hold the front infill panel over the radiator and see if that fits? If so, you'd get a number to order. Probably work just as well?
Appreciate that mate - i like the sound of your idea. Thank you.

The weather wasnt playing ball today; but i'll try and get onto that during the week.
Current - 2017 Audi RS7 Performance
Gone - 2006 BMW Z4 2.5Si Sport
Gone - 2018 VW Golf .:R
Gone - 2010 BMW Z4 35iS
Gone - 2009 VW Passat .:R36

User avatar
samuir1974
Member
Member
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:49 pm
Location: West Yorkshire

E85 / E86 Water Deflector fixings

Post by samuir1974 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:02 pm

Just to update and conclude on this one - the diagram was wrong - ignore item #5.

4 x item #7 - expanding rivets - installed and securely fixed.

Thanks to those that contributed :thumbsup:

Image
Last edited by samuir1974 on Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current - 2017 Audi RS7 Performance
Gone - 2006 BMW Z4 2.5Si Sport
Gone - 2018 VW Golf .:R
Gone - 2010 BMW Z4 35iS
Gone - 2009 VW Passat .:R36

User avatar
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 3486
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:05 am
Location: Attleborough, Norfolk

E85 / E86 Water Deflector fixings

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:15 pm

samuir1974 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:02 pm Just to update and conclude on this one - the diagram was wrong - ignore item #5.

4 x item #4 - expanding rivets - installed and securely fixed.

Thanks to those that contributed :thumbsup:

Image
Good news.
Thanks for letting us know :thumbsup:
E89 20i SDrive M Sport - Valencia Orange
E85 2.5i - Sterling Grey - Better half's fun car

User avatar
kis
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 3787
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:33 pm
Location: Surrey / West Sussex Boarder

E85 / E86 Water Deflector fixings

Post by kis » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:54 am

How much were they? I need some for mine! :)
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

User avatar
samuir1974
Member
Member
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:49 pm
Location: West Yorkshire

E85 / E86 Water Deflector fixings

Post by samuir1974 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:35 pm

kis wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:54 am How much were they? I need some for mine! :)
Purchased via eBay i got this pack for £4 +P&P
Current - 2017 Audi RS7 Performance
Gone - 2006 BMW Z4 2.5Si Sport
Gone - 2018 VW Golf .:R
Gone - 2010 BMW Z4 35iS
Gone - 2009 VW Passat .:R36

Post Reply