Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Really simple phone install wanted

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:31 pm

Hi all,
I have read through many threads on here about phone installations and to be quite honest I'm confused!
So, what I am looking for is the simplest solution possible for the wife's E85.

Currently her car has a 'Bury' unit which links to her phone and she can talk hands free on it.
But it is installed right behind the left side of the steering wheel where you can't see it, and even if you do lean round to look at it the light reflection makes it impossible to read anything on it. I've tried a cardboard 'hood' over the top, but it's still rubbish.
The phone sits in a holder over to the left side of the dash, angled towards her, and that is fine.

Her car has a bog standard steering wheel with no control buttons, and the stereo is the basic one.

What I am looking for is the simplest way that she can use her phone, hands free (accepting she'd possibly need to hit the answer button on it first), channelled through the car speakers and a mic.
Playing music through the phone would be ideal too.
Keeping the dash as uncluttered as possible would be a big plus as well.

I have looked at relocating this 'Bury' thing, but it really is not ideal.

Lots of people talk about blue-toothing their music with a plug in device, but can that work with calls too?

Is there anything really simple that I could swap to and that even a luddite like me could install?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:55 pm

One of those units you plug into the cigarette lighter would be the easiest https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Tran ... NrPXRydWU=
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:14 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:55 pm One of those units you plug into the cigarette lighter would be the easiest https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Tran ... NrPXRydWU=
Thanks, looked at that.
Is it really that easy? Anyone used one on here?

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:50 pm

Well it has decent reviews, im sure being an fm transmitter you may occasionally get a bit of signal drop out but in terms of plug and play it doesn't get any easier..and its Amazon so if you have an account and you don't think its up to scratch just send the bugger back :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:38 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:50 pm Well it has decent reviews, im sure being an fm transmitter you may occasionally get a bit of signal drop out but in terms of plug and play it doesn't get any easier..and its Amazon so if you have an account and you don't think its up to scratch just send the bugger back :thumbsup:
What a salesman! :thumbsup:

Showed it to management and she is looking at a few versions of the same thing.
For £15-odd it is worth a punt.

Would be nice to get a review from a forum member who's used one tbh, but I feel we could be heading this way anyway.
Thanks for the pointer.

RKM

Post by RKM » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:14 pm

I have similar from ebay and it works well.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:49 pm

RKM wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:14 pm I have similar from ebay and it works well.
Question from the wife.
It looks easy to receive a phone call, but how do you make one?
Do you still need to select it on your phone?

(If it helps, I only traded up from a Nokia 3310 last year, so that's the techno level you're dealing with here! :roll: )

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:10 pm

You'll almost certainly dial out from the phone, call me old fashioned but ive never made an outgoing call from a moving car, answered a few hands free ones but thats as far as I'll go, making calls and driving dont mix as far as Im concerned

M1k3yC

Post by M1k3yC » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:16 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:49 pm
You could try enabling the virtual assistant on the phone (e.g. Siri on an iPhone) and allowing it to function when the phone is locked. Then you can (in theory) start an outgoing call by issuing the phone with a voice command, instead of physically touching it.
2022 Hyundai Kona N - greyhound transport
2018 F56 Mini JCW
2016 MX-5 2.0 Sport Recaro
Gone to a good home: 2007 E86 3.0Si Sport

rdm05z4

Post by rdm05z4 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:24 pm

I just don't see what is so important that you have to text or call while driving? If I need to make a urgent call or text I pull off the road. I value my life and others.
2005 3.0i Manual, Sterling Gray Metallic Sport suspension, heated seats, top line Business Cd radio
2007 Nissan Maxima -Silver-Auto
2009 VW Wolfsburg Jetta-Black-6sp manual

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:00 am

M1k3yC wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:16 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:49 pm
You could try enabling the virtual assistant on the phone (e.g. Siri on an iPhone) and allowing it to function when the phone is locked. Then you can (in theory) start an outgoing call by issuing the phone with a voice command, instead of physically touching it.
Thanks, yes that's kind of where she'd ended up. Lots of basic ones to choose rom, so today is working out which one goes best with the car's feng shui. :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:00 am

rdm05z4 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:24 pm I just don't see what is so important that you have to text or call while driving? If I need to make a urgent call or text I pull off the road. I value my life and others.
Thank you for your input.
Has certainly helped answer all my questions. :roll:

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:00 am

mr.tourette wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:50 pm Well it has decent reviews, im sure being an fm transmitter you may occasionally get a bit of signal drop out but in terms of plug and play it doesn't get any easier..and its Amazon so if you have an account and you don't think its up to scratch just send the bugger back :thumbsup:
Just look at the sizes carefully mate, :thumbsup: photos can be deceiving and some of them are a bit mahoosive

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:21 am

mr.tourette wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:00 am
Just look at the sizes carefully mate, :thumbsup: photos can be deceiving and some of them are a bit mahoosive
Indeed, I have noted that. Don't think she really needs one of those on a big wobbly arm, just a simple plug in, as long as the answer phone button is easy to touch without rummaging about.

ERX

Post by ERX » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:23 pm

Did you settle on something in the end? I've been looking to change the bluetooth in my car because it's really quiet for some reason, I've read you can get aux going through the back of the headunit which would enable a lot of options. I've been eyeing this up - https://www.amazon.co.uk/echo-auto-add- ... 991&sr=8-1 - for a while. Think it'd be a great solution if you can find somewhere ideal to mount it