Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2008 BMW E85 2.0 - Whirring noise from the rear.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
LukeBlanks

Post by LukeBlanks » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:43 pm

Hello all!

I have a whirring noise coming from the rear of my car. Now i did some reading on here, and every thread, the person states that it gets louder with speed, specially around the 60mph mark.

However, mine is most noisy at low speeds, like mainly in 1st gear, if i accelerate, stay in 1st and then let the car slow down naturally, you really do hear it.

Then also while driving, at most speeds, its a very very faint noise of 2 metals rubbing together.

Curious to know if these 2 noises are the same thing or potentially two different noises. Anyone experienced anything like this or could point me in the direction of things to check first. Thanks a bunch! :) [youtube][/youtube]

Roberltd2

Post by Roberltd2 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:46 pm

Hi Luke,
I've always had a whirring noise from the back-end-somewhere since I bought my E85 2.5si over four years ago. Only really noticable after I've filled up with petrol, and only then at idling or low revs. It wasn't there when I was test driving the car, which needless to say would have had the least possible amount of petrol in it for selling purposes.
I'm sure I've read on the Forum about people going to great efforts and expense to replace the fuel pump only to find the whirring returns or doesn't go away at all.
I've just decided to live with it - it's no better or worse now than it was in 2016.
Cheers,
Robert.
2007 E85 2.5 si Sport in Montego Blue.
1994 Eunos J2Ltd - sold and now undergoing restoration.
1963 Triumph Thunderbird.

LukeBlanks

Post by LukeBlanks » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:30 pm

Roberltd2 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:46 pm Hi Luke,
I've always had a whirring noise from the back-end-somewhere since I bought my E85 2.5si over four years ago. Only really noticable after I've filled up with petrol, and only then at idling or low revs. It wasn't there when I was test driving the car, which needless to say would have had the least possible amount of petrol in it for selling purposes.
I'm sure I've read on the Forum about people going to great efforts and expense to replace the fuel pump only to find the whirring returns or doesn't go away at all.
I've just decided to live with it - it's no better or worse now than it was in 2016.
Cheers,
Robert.
Hi there,
Thanks for your response! I have the suspicion that it could be my brakes. My discs are seriously grooved up and it almost sounds like metal rubbing together so will get my brakes inspected. But like you said, mine doesn't seem to ne getting worse so maybe could just be a result of old age lol1

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:32 pm

Sounds like you may have found the cause then?
And if it is indeed your brakes then you should budget for new pads AND disks if they have grooves that bad.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Roberltd2

Post by Roberltd2 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:36 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:32 pm Sounds like you may have found the cause then?
And if it is indeed your brakes then you should budget for new pads AND disks if they have grooves that bad.
Deffo,
Not a good situation if your discs / pads are shot to bits. Remember trying to come to a halt behind a petrol tanker which had pulled up at a set of temporary traffic lights and not being able to slow down! Overtook the tanker, thankfully before the oncoming traffic had started coming through, before finally pulling to a stop into the traffic coned area using the handbrake. This was when I had my Eunos (MX5).
EBC Ultra Quiet Sports the discs were.
Ultra bloody rubbish more like.
2007 E85 2.5 si Sport in Montego Blue.
1994 Eunos J2Ltd - sold and now undergoing restoration.
1963 Triumph Thunderbird.

Mr_E85Bim

Post by Mr_E85Bim » Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:10 pm

I have this issue at the moment. Did you find out what it was? I don't think its the pads as I think the noise would get worse when I apply the brakes. It also appears to go away after a few mins of driving. I think its more likely the disks