Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Radio Gone?!?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
idej_z4

Radio Gone?!?

Post by idej_z4 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:05 am

I know the radio signal in a Z is particularly rubbish, and I'm assuming as I've got a stubby its even worse, but I've noticed over the last few weeks its more or less disappeared. I listen to Radio 1 as it is usually the only station I can get clear reception on and even that is dropping out all the time.

Does anyone have any tips for boosting the signal (other than getting the old fashioned whippy). :evil:

Pic below just for interest...
Marshalls.JPG
Marshalls.JPG (235.3 KiB) Viewed 753 times

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Radio Gone?!?

Post by MACK » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:39 am

I had something similar with talk sport when I fitted a whippy. But that was AM not FM. To be honest these days I just use the app via Bluetooth to the parrot. Could you not do something similar?
Having said that where do you live that you can only get Radio 1? Even with my citreon stubby I can get a decent signal on FM in and around major population centres and alot of rural spots too. I always keep the whippy under the boot floor for times Im away for the weekend rurally and there's no signal with the stubby. But even then there's a limit to what you can get. I guess my point is if your in an urban area they may be an issue with the stubby itself or the aerial/amp etc.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

idej_z4

Radio Gone?!?

Post by idej_z4 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:43 am

MACK wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:39 amI had something similar with talk sport when I fitted a whippy. To be honest these days I just the app via Bluetooth to the parrot. Could you not do something similar.
Having said that where do you live that you can only get radio 1? Even with my citreon stubby I can get a decent signal on fm in and around major population centres and alot of rural spots too. I always keep the whippy under the boot floor for tines Im away for the weekend rurally and there's no signal with the stubby. But even then there's a limit to what you can get. I guess my point is if your in an urban area they may be an issue with the stubby itself or the aerial/amp etc.
Hi Mack - I live in Halifax, West Yorkshire. I've got a AUX dongle for bluetoothing music such as Spotify, never thought to do the radio. As a stubby is cheap I might get another and try that as I'm not sure where to start with the aerial/amp etc.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Radio Gone?!?

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:50 am

The main FM aerial is behind the bumper. It's a rod type with an amp. They suffer with power failing to get to it, usually a dirty connector or fuse..

Mike

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Radio Gone?!?

Post by MACK » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:55 am

idej_jedi wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:43 am
MACK wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:39 amI had something similar with talk sport when I fitted a whippy. To be honest these days I just the app via Bluetooth to the parrot. Could you not do something similar.
Having said that where do you live that you can only get radio 1? Even with my citreon stubby I can get a decent signal on fm in and around major population centres and alot of rural spots too. I always keep the whippy under the boot floor for tines Im away for the weekend rurally and there's no signal with the stubby. But even then there's a limit to what you can get. I guess my point is if your in an urban area they may be an issue with the stubby itself or the aerial/amp etc.
Hi Mack - I live in Halifax, West Yorkshire. I've got a AUX dongle for bluetoothing music such as Spotify, never thought to do the radio. As a stubby is cheap I might get another and try that as I'm not sure where to start with the aerial/amp etc.
If you want to try another stubby the one I got a few years ago now was a genuine citreon one from a main dealer advertising on ebay. It cost about a fiver. Obviously if you havent got a citreon one already it might be worth a go or it may make no difference but at a fiver and a minute to fit you can't go wrong really. Changing the aerial etc starts to get costly and a bit if a pain of a job so I'd definetly go down the app route if a new stubby doesn't help.
Actually thinking about it, do you not have the original whippy to try. Obviously if you do you can rule in/out the aerial/amp if you do.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

idej_z4

Radio Gone?!?

Post by idej_z4 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:40 am

MACK wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:55 am
idej_jedi wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:43 am
If you want to try another stubby the one I got a few years ago now was a genuine citreon one from a main dealer advertising on ebay. It cost about a fiver. Obviously if you havent got a citreon one already it might be worth a go or it may make no difference but at a fiver and a minute to fit you can't go wrong really. Changing the aerial etc starts to get costly and a bit if a pain of a job so I'd definetly go down the app route if a new stubby doesn't help.
Actually thinking about it, do you not have the original whippy to try. Obviously if you do you can rule in/out the aerial/amp if you do.
Cheers Mack. I gave my stubby away in an act of generosity to another forum member.

idej_z4

Radio Gone?!?

Post by idej_z4 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:41 am

Ducklakeview wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:50 amThe main FM aerial is behind the bumper. It's a rod type with an amp. They suffer with power failing to get to it, usually a dirty connector or fuse..

Mike
Thanks Mike - I'm assuming you mean the front bumper? Hopefully I can find a YouTube on locating it and checking for faulty fuse / connector.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Radio Gone?!?

Post by markplant » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:36 pm

Seem to think it's in the rear bumper
Screenshot_20180116-123457.png
Screenshot_20180116-123457.png (174.8 KiB) Viewed 714 times
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

srhutch

Radio Gone?!?

Post by srhutch » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:35 pm

Yep, rear bumper, passenger side (UK)

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Radio Gone?!?

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:58 pm

What they said lol...

Mike

idej_z4

Radio Gone?!?

Post by idej_z4 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:08 pm

srhutch wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:35 pm Yep, rear bumper, passenger side (UK)
Will get out and have a look this weekend! :thumbsup: