Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to fit illuminating door sills

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:30 pm

This is a very simple mod, but i couldnt work out how to remove the trim pieces so thought i would do a write up - a couple of mobile pics with the TIS.

Takes between 5 - 15 minutes per side, depending how quikly you can thread the wire from the outside to the inside of the car :lol:

Removing pieces....
1. Pull the old door sill off - this is simple.
2. Remove the door sill plastic strip - unclip either end of it and pull - requires some force
3. Remove the panel above the pedals
http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/08/06/80
and under the glove compartment:
http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/08/08/34
4. Remove the trim covering the speakers - Passenger is simple, one screw under the door sill:
http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/07/97/98
Driver side you need to remove the screw for the bonnet release - in the center and slide out the lever, and unplug the boot switch:
http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/07/97/97

Wiring:
I got mine second had without the wiring kit, so had to solder additional cable to it.

5. Feed the wire from the second hole from the end (from the rear of the car) into the cabin.

If you pull the carpet back you will see this little rubber gromit inside the cabin:

Pull it out and then feed a wire from the outside into this hole - this was easy the first time on the drivers side, but struggled the second time!
Fed some longer cable through:
Run the wire under the carpet around speaker:
6. Pulled some of the tape away from the wiring for the footwell llights and scotch locked it to them:
7. Solder the cable to the cable on the door sills, add velcro and refit the door sill; test it works (no pic!)
8.cut a grove in the rubber grommit to allow the wire to pass and replace grommit:
9. Refit all the trim - took me a while to get the plastic clips to line up for the speaker covers, reconnet footwell lights.
10. They are quite dim, so wait for darkness and admire!

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ranski » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:51 pm

Nice write up - I might give this a go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

mrlozzer
Lifer
Lifer

Re: How to fit illuminating door sills

Post by mrlozzer » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:17 pm

Top work aquazi! :thumbsup:

I still have palpitations at the thought of scotchloks though, since the problems with the OTH module! :(
Sold:3.0i|Sterling Grey|heated leather|nav|DSP|18" CSL reps|452s|eibach|facelift & de-ginger|aero skirts|alcantara MFSW|CF badges|DICE|cruise|gaptech|strut brace|Alcantara M seats

deka

Post by deka » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:19 am

sweet well done :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
E89 2.5I Blue rubbish wheels
Gone But not forgotton. Z4 06 roadster 2.5 Midnight blue Hardtop black heated leather, stubby, phone kit, 108's PDC. ZHP

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:15 am

mrlozzer wrote: I still have palpitations at the thought of scotchloks though, since the problems with the OTH module! :(
:lol: I am the reverse... I hardwired a second cigarette socket to my car for my road angel, which i initially scotchlocked. When i fit gaptech last year i bought a gas powered soldering iron, so though i might aswell solder the second cig socket too as it used the same earth wire as the gaptech.

After a few weeks it stopped working :( thought it was my fuse, so changed the wiring to the fuse box, didnt fix it. I then replaced the cigarette socket, still didnt work... i then gave up. A year later i thought should get it working... found the earth wire detached when i soldered it and stuffed the wiring down... used a scotchlock and works a treat now :oops:

jamiecarpenter

Post by jamiecarpenter » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:45 pm

Just attempted to do this retrofit. But can’t get the wire out through the hole under the carpet. Must have had 30 attempts. Main problem is the seats are in the way. Don’t really want to have to remove them unless it’s essential. Any suggestions on how to do it?
Silver Grey 3.0 si 06. Retrofitted sat nav, Cruise Control, Intravee, Door Cards and Heated Seats.

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:56 pm

Yeah the seats are a bugger, but i used a thick wire which i bent to a slight curve, then put it through sill hole, and ran it against the metal inside until it popped out. Did it first time on the first attempt, then the passenger side took me ages:headbang:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jamiecarpenter

Post by jamiecarpenter » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:51 pm

Thought about doing thst but hadnt got any wire and didnt think I could get wire and cable through the hole. May have to widen it a bit with a drill. Thanks
Silver Grey 3.0 si 06. Retrofitted sat nav, Cruise Control, Intravee, Door Cards and Heated Seats.

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mac27040 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:53 pm

3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:49 am

Must price these up from the stealers,great mod :thumbsup:
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

jamiecarpenter

Post by jamiecarpenter » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:37 pm

Fitted the illuminated sills today. One was brand new and worked perfectly. The other was second hand and it's cable was short. This one I cant get working. Ive used Scotchlocks to splice into the footwell lights and a crimp fastner on the side that has a sort cable to attach further metre of cable. The foot well light lit but the sill light doesnt. Checked and fiddled with the cable but had no joy. Anyone have any suggestions on how I an test to see if it does work.

GJC72

Post by GJC72 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:10 pm

andysat wrote:Must price these up from the stealers,great mod :thumbsup:
Just looked at BMW Direct Store on eBay. £312.00 for a pair :thumbsdown:
Replacement: 2018 M240i Auto Convertible with plenty of options

Previous
2013 E89 Valencia Orange 20i sDrive Auto
2007 E85 Monaco Blue 3.0si
2003 E85 Sterling Grey 2.5i

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:18 pm

jamiecarpenter wrote:Fitted the illuminated sills today. One was brand new and worked perfectly. The other was second hand and it's cable was short. This one I cant get working. Ive used Scotchlocks to splice into the footwell lights and a crimp fastner on the side that has a sort cable to attach further metre of cable. The foot well light lit but the sill light doesnt. Checked and fiddled with the cable but had no joy. Anyone have any suggestions on how I an test to see if it does work.

I take it these were the ones on eBay that went a few weeks back?

I tested mine with a 9V battery... just wire it to that and check if they still work.

jamiecarpenter

Post by jamiecarpenter » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:13 am

Thanks for that. I've now found it doesn't work. Has anyone managed to repair one without damaging it, and what did it entail?