Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Guide to removing (and re-fitting) roll hoop covers

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Wed May 02, 2018 11:07 am

Smartbear wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:09 pm Good job Colin, for their cost I would definitely recommend these tools though as they reduce the chances of marking plastic trim :cry:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2273224693
Rob
Beat me to it Rob. I have a set of these - cheap but absolutely essential for working on anything plastic in the car, like the interior panels, or the door trims etc. I cringed when I saw Colin's pics of a screwdriver, I don't know how he managed not to mangle the plastic.
End result looks great - very nice job.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Wed May 02, 2018 11:20 am

enzed4 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:07 am
Smartbear wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:09 pm Good job Colin, for their cost I would definitely recommend these tools though as they reduce the chances of marking plastic trim :cry:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2273224693
Rob
Beat me to it Rob. I have a set of these - cheap but absolutely essential for working on anything plastic in the car, like the interior panels, or the door trims etc. I cringed when I saw Colin's pics of a screwdriver, I don't know how he managed not to mangle the plastic.
End result looks great - very nice job.
Cheers fella. You have to realise I had a new pair of rear covers so potential damage to the existing ones wouldn't have been a disaster, however for others attempting the job then buying a set of those ebay tools is a no brainer :wink:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Wed May 02, 2018 12:21 pm

Marlon wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:51 am Cheers Mack. I did consider it (even had a Poll running ) but decided on matt black after a drive out with Z4M pals.
Also I had already sprayed the A-pillars matt black so the hoops had to match
I think you've made the right choice, whenever I see a pic of an M with the roof down I do think how much better they look in a nice matt black than the crappy silvery/grey the non Ms get.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

wyshyvanuk

Post by wyshyvanuk » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:41 pm

Just a quick "add-on". The matt black covers, as found on the ///M, are available as replacement parts, but, alas, are not available pre-drilled for the wind deflector mounts. After about a half hour with a caliper attempting to locate the correct positions at which to drill those holes. I found that there were two raised circles, on the inside of each forward cover, that exactly locate the mounting holes. Still a little fiddly to transfer those locations to the outside of the cover, but I was able to store the caliper back in its case.

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:26 am

wyshyvanuk wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:41 pmJust a quick "add-on". The matt black covers, as found on the ///M, are available as replacement parts, but, alas, are not available pre-drilled for the wind deflector mounts. After about a half hour with a caliper attempting to locate the correct positions at which to drill those holes. I found that there were two raised circles, on the inside of each forward cover, that exactly locate the mounting holes. Still a little fiddly to transfer those locations to the outside of the cover, but I was able to store the caliper back in its case.
Out of curiosity, what sort of price are you looking at for the replacement hoop covers? Horribly expensive?
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

wyshyvanuk

Post by wyshyvanuk » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:59 pm

A bit. Two of the "half" covers were $34 with my discount, and one was, inexplicably, $79. Only needed three, as I was able to release one without breaking a clip.

V8rumbler

Post by V8rumbler » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:25 am

👍🏻
E85 2.5si sport 2006
Silver Grey, Red sports Leather & Black Piano Trim