Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Condensation inside Headlights

ESP

Post by ESP » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:56 pm

Until I replaced my sidelight bulbs for LED versions I hadn't had this issue. I suspect that when I did as it was between rain shower's the air was very moist and with in 24hours both where very steamed up. I have read various threads online saying to replace the headlight rear seals, but I thought this a bit drastic and unnecessary, and wont work until all the water inside has evaporated. Also trying a hair dryer but this won't remove all the water at the bottom of the lens casing.

There isn't water getting in unless they are broken, just with moist air trapped inside with the back sealed up this condenses into water which will sit down in the lowest parts of the headlight. As they cool at night this then causes condensation and a ever going circle, lights on Clears, lights off, cools and mists up again and again. :headbang: :headbang:

It can only need a thimble of water to cause condensation.

The only real way to fully clear the issue is to leave the backs off, and leave the car parked 3-4 dry days somewhere facing maximum sun light. This way all the water will evaporate. Even from the bottom of the lens case.

You can always add a few bags of Silica Gel (strung together on a thread) and in 4 days run the car, turn the lights on for a while so they warm the air inside, and pull the thread out. Then reseal the rear of the headlight casing (if yours seals are really bad old and decayed apply some non-setting silicon around them before sealing, and Bobs your uncle.

:thumbsup: :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
07 Sapphire Black Roadster.

Ozie

Re: Condensation inside Headlights

Post by Ozie » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:09 pm

I had the same problem when i bought my car few years ago. Changed the bulbs and after that there was water condensation in headlights...specialy when it rained. I tried the hair dryer also...didn't work.

Bought new covers ( with new seals of course ) and problem was gone. Cost like 30 euros or something.

Brizza

Post by Brizza » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:21 am

Just another tip which has worked for me, which the OP has touched on originally.

I hadn't had this misty light problem at all, until i had to routinely change one of the bulbs. I was a bit gutted that the day after i changed the bulb i had moisture in the headlight. I hadn't done anything untoward, just changed a flaming bulb!

After seeing a couple of different ways to get rid, and as the weather is turning a bit damper now, i didn't fancy leaving the backs off the lights in the hope it would dry out itself. So... i went whole hog on the silica gel idea, and purchased some larger packets of the gel.

As you can see, each bag measures about 4"x3" and came in a pack of 10 for a little over £4. All i did was remove the plastic backs off the lights, then thoroughly cleaned the rubber seals (still in good nick) and cleaned the edges where the backs fit the lights. I then simply taped 3 silica gel bags to the inside of each of the plastic backs using good old gaffer tape.

Over the next few days the moisture gradually receded. The following pics were taken this morning (1 week after), nice chilly, misty morning. Fogged up car... no fogged up headlights, and ginger in all its glory! :D

I have left the silica gel bags in position. Now the days are closing in and the there's more moisture in the air, i think they should do a decent job of keeping the 'foggy headlight' syndrome at bay.

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:25 am

Bit of a warning on silica gel bags.... Someone on here did the same... Eventually the silca leaked into his headlight and destroyed them :(

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Brizza

Post by Brizza » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:15 am

aquazi wrote:Bit of a warning on silica gel bags.... Someone on here did the same... Eventually the silca leaked into his headlight and destroyed them :(

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Yep, not a permanent fixture of course. But now i know it works, replacing the gel every so often will hopefully do the trick. I just find it amazing that you have to go through the wheel arch just to change a bulb.

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:12 pm

Brizza wrote: I just find it amazing that you have to go through the wheel arch just to change a bulb.
Downside of having a long penis..... I mean bonnet ;)
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

sdurrant92

Post by sdurrant92 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:22 am

I to have the same problem as many others! 1 of my headlights is completely condensated up and the main bulb has gone. GREAT! Took it to my local garage and they said that they drained out half a pint of water (sealed it up with silicon) and said it should clear up the condensation... which it didnt! Also, they couldnt change my light as they had never seen one like it before and the water has blown the connection! I've looked online and it looks as if the car I have bought has LED headlights! Should I buy completely new normal xenon headlights? Or will they condensate and blow up as well? Any ideas - I am at a loss with this!? Have your normal headlights condensated or is just aftermarket?

Juicehead

Post by Juicehead » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:47 pm

Hi all,

I bought my Z4 two weeks ago, and one headlight is full of condensation (was like it when I bought it).. While on the unlit bit of the M25 tonight, I noticed that my lights were not even lighting up the road in front of me.. It's the first time I've ever had any dealings with Zenons. I checked the lights and found that the main beam is not working at all (either side).. My fog lights are not working either...are my electrics fried because of the water, or do I have two separate problems? I was going to post this up as a new post, but this all seems to be around the same issues so I'm highjacking it lol... Sorry sdurrant92 :roll: :thumbsup:
You only live once, so enjoy it Z4 styley! :roll: :thumbsup:

Jamturbo

Post by Jamturbo » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:15 pm

Same problem, and it was quite bad.
I took off the wheels and removed the rear covers. I could see the rubber seal was pinched. Anyway, I used a hairdryer on cold air and held it in place tied to the shock, allowing the air to blow into the rear of the light. After 30 minutes, all the moisture had dissipated. I used new covers ensuring a nice seal. The lights have been moisture free all through last winter.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:54 am

I did mine in January using a small hairdryer on the inside (not too hot) simultaneously with one on the exterior of the lens. Let them cool off, before cleaning and refreshing the back plate seals with some non-setting silicone grease. No condensation since.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Rldee007

Post by Rldee007 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:14 am

Hi all
I have worked in car headlamp design and condensation is a real issue espically with long headlamps eg. DB9.
Silica do become saturated and once warm release some of moisture.
Once saturated you can bake them and put them back in but after a few cycles this doesn't work. Replacing regularly is the best option.
If you could open the casing to introduction of a PTC heat such as you find in a windmirror or a small fan which is wired parallel to your dipped beam is also a longer term solution.

Cannon1891

Post by Cannon1891 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:02 am

Hello all,

I'm thinking of changing my H7 bulb for an LED with fan built into base, do you think the fan circulating air would reduce the chances of condensation in future.
I'm just stripping my headlights as they both condensation, fitting halo's same time.

Cheers,
Phil