Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Brighter and cheaper Angel Eyes

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:39 pm

Finally got around to doing this mod to the Angel Eye’s since I have had 2 of them go bad within the past several years. I am putting this together for several reasons:
1) The bulb itself is made by Philips for BMW and is not available on the open market.
2) The Angel Eye is only sold as a whole assembly, not just replacing the bulb.
3) Cost of the assembly compared to just the bulb itself (plus I went with a higher wattage bulb, making it brighter in the process).

The AE assembly is located in the upper inside of the headlight assembly and is held in with 2 torx screws. Be careful not to drop these screws into the housing, as anyone with large hands will have a difficult time getting to them once they are loose in the housing.

If you have a dremel tool with a small bit, small drill bit, or a fine file, you can notch the edge of the AE assembly so that you only have to buy a replacement bulb. Cost for the assembly is around $45USD compared to $5 for just the lamp itself. Once you have the assembly out of the car, you will be able to see where to notch the assembly to allow quick and easy change of just the bulb.

The original bulb is a 12v, 10W made by Philips which is not available on the open market. There are some 12v, 10W bulbs available if you wish to stay with the original specs. I opted to go with a 20W bulb (Osram BC2615) for a brighter AE. The extra heat generated by this bulb is neglible and has not caused any problems. Be aware that for some reason this bulb is available, but is usually back-ordered through the distributors, and may take a while to actually arrive through the post.

Original AE

Upgraded AE

Overall I am very happy with this minor mod. It is cheap to do and saves a little money in the long run, along with the AE standing out a bit more.

Cheers!
Last edited by ovrkll on Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Brighter and cheaper Angle Eyes

Post by ranski » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:58 pm

Much brighter, although would be good with some more pictures to compare

<good job!>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Brighter and cheaper Angle Eyes

Post by ovrkll » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:23 pm

I did not take a bunch of pictures, but here is some additional information and pictures that will make everything clearer:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showth ... p?t=417609
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M

webpain

Post by webpain » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:17 pm

Hi there, excellent mod!

My right AE just burned out so I am thinking of applying the mod instead of replacing this ridiculously priced unit.

3 quick questions though:

1. Are you sure that the excess wattage will not cause any problems to the electrical circuitry? Heat will most likely not be a problem, agreed.

2. I looked for bc2615 by osram but couldn't find it. It seems that they have changed the code to 64115 as seen here: http://www.osram.com/osram_com/products ... =ZMP_60892

Could you confirm that this is the correct bulb?

3. Do you have any UK/Europe based online bulb shop which you recommend? I live in Greece atm and such specialty bulbs are hard to find.

Thanks again!
Z4 3.0si '06 | Ruby Black | Falken 452 on 108's | Mods: Sound Generator, Stubby, AUX/Video-In, i-Bus USB

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Brighter and cheaper Angel Eyes

Post by ovrkll » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:51 pm

1. Been running this set up ever since and have not noticed any gremlins popping up in the electrical system at all.

2. It is the same bulb,,,they list the bulb as 64115 on some sites, but the re-order code (which may be for a full case for the distributor) is bc2615. :thumbsup:

3. Live in the U.S., so I really can't hlep you with the UK/Europe vendors. I am sure that someone on here will have a good source.
I used http://www.bulbconnection.com, they do ship internationally, and actually had them in stock the last time I looked.
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M

webpain

Post by webpain » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:03 pm

Thanks a lot for the info!

I ordered a pair of 3rd party (i.e. not Osram) bulbs of eBay, plus another pair of LEDs to try out (these will probably also last longer than regular bulbs).

When they arrive and I install them I will post some photos!

Another question is, do I need 1 or 2 notches (opposite sides) to remove the bulb? The bulbs have 2 little securing teeth on opposite sides so I assume two holes/notches are needed right?

Also, for anyone looking for bulbs the type is: 12V BA9S T4W. I will post the specific led item once I install and it actually works.
Z4 3.0si '06 | Ruby Black | Falken 452 on 108's | Mods: Sound Generator, Stubby, AUX/Video-In, i-Bus USB

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:11 am

You might be able to just get the bulb out with one notch, but as you said, the bulb and holder is designed for 2.

I looked into the the LED route and was never really satisfied with what was out there at the time. Hopefully what you have found will work out, and be another option that does not mess with the "lamp out" circuitry. :thumbsup:
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:21 pm

Thanks for the info ovrkll as I will likely have that problem as well as some point...
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

McKoval

Post by McKoval » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:39 pm

I've read somewhere that some ppl fit mtec leds instead of halogen bulb (found info about 3-series and 5-series bmw's) which are bright enough to be drl's
does any of you know something about mtec kit for z4?

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:04 pm

Long term update ---
Everything is doing great! No heat damage from the uprated bulbs, and still much more noticeable.
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M

bcworkz

Post by bcworkz » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:21 pm

Thread revival!

Finally got around to giving the Zed some much needed love, including this mod, thought I would add a few tips even though everyone that intends to do this probably has already done so. Though if you bulb burns out and you just want to replace the stock 10w without spending a fortune, this still will help.

First, do not remove the retaining screws (use T20 Torx driver), just loosen them a full turn to turn and a half or so. Rotate the assembly anti-clockwise about 25 degrees to remove. Small hands help to get adequate torque, even with the screws loose, it's a fairly stiff snap release to initiate the rotation.

There's no trick release for the electric plug, though it can be fairly snug. Just keep pulling and wiggling, it'll come out eventually.

The socket inside the plastic assembly is a standard 2 pin metal socket with L shaped release paths cut into the sides. You need to drill the clearance slots exactly where the release path ends. This can be identified by turning the bulb anti-clockwise (while pushing slightly) and then pulling it as if to remove it. When the guide pins hit the plastic that prevents removal, you can just make out where the pins are through the thin gap. This is where to drill. If you hit metal you missed, the bit should fall through into the release path if you drilled in the right spot. If you miss, no harm done, the job will look sloppy but the bulb will still be properly retained.

The photos posted above are an accurate comparison of the additional brightness, yet somehow, when both are installed, the result seems even a good bit brighter than you would expect. Very pleased with the result, better than expected for an extra 10w each.
"The cause of most problems are solutions" (06 3.0si, sport pkg)

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:23 pm

Glad to see the info helped another member :thumbsup:
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M

jamjia

Post by jamjia » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:11 pm

ovrkll wrote:Finally got around to doing this mod to the Angel Eye’s since I have had 2 of them go bad within the past several years. I am putting this together for several reasons:
1) The bulb itself is made by Philips for BMW and is not available on the open market.
2) The Angel Eye is only sold as a whole assembly, not just replacing the bulb.
3) Cost of the assembly compared to just the bulb itself (plus I went with a higher wattage bulb, making it brighter in the process).

The AE assembly is located in the upper inside of the headlight assembly and is held in with 2 torx screws. Be careful not to drop these screws into the housing, as anyone with large hands will have a difficult time getting to them once they are loose in the housing.

If you have a dremel tool with a small bit, small drill bit, or a fine file, you can notch the edge of the AE assembly so that you only have to buy a replacement bulb. Cost for the assembly is around $45USD compared to $5 for just the lamp itself. Once you have the assembly out of the car, you will be able to see where to notch the assembly to allow quick and easy change of just the bulb.

The original bulb is a 12v, 10W made by Philips which is not available on the open market. There are some 12v, 10W bulbs available if you wish to stay with the original specs. I opted to go with a 20W bulb (Osram BC2615) for a brighter AE. The extra heat generated by this bulb is neglible and has not caused any problems. Be aware that for some reason this bulb is available, but is usually back-ordered through the distributors, and may take a while to actually arrive through the post.

Original AE

Upgraded AE

Overall I am very happy with this minor mod. It is cheap to do and saves a little money in the long run, along with the AE standing out a bit more.

Cheers!
Did you have to take the wheel off? If so, I assume you also took the whole fender guard off like in this video???

http://youtu.be/72nuNNbIixE?t=2m22s

bcworkz

Post by bcworkz » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:57 pm

I've heard of people doing this with the wheel on, but I can't imagine how they managed, you'd be working blind. It's far easier wheel off, but of course you need the tools to do it. Most Zeds have an access panel so the fender guard can remain. The video is the only one I've seen without.
"The cause of most problems are solutions" (06 3.0si, sport pkg)

jamjia

Post by jamjia » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:20 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfggvPE95uE

In this video, it appears the wheel is still on but I can't be sure. From the pictures, it looks like there's sufficient access to the angel eyes bulb???