Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Facelift fog light refurb??

Bing
Legend
Legend

Re: Facelift fog light refurb??

Post by Bing » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:27 pm

corsaire77 wrote:Now I know it's official: my manual skills are limited to opening champagne and unfastening bras. :headbang:
Skills to be proud of - if you can do the latter with one hand then you can do both at the same time - smooth :wink:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

deka

Post by deka » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:30 pm

Bing wrote:
corsaire77 wrote:Now I know it's official: my manual skills are limited to opening champagne and unfastening bras. :headbang:
Skills to be proud of - if you can do the latter with one hand then you can do both at the same time - smooth :wink:

Class :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :rofl:
E89 2.5I Blue rubbish wheels
Gone But not forgotton. Z4 06 roadster 2.5 Midnight blue Hardtop black heated leather, stubby, phone kit, 108's PDC. ZHP

fatmikey

Post by fatmikey » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:25 pm

when you tried removing the fronts from the backing did you heat the sealer up? thats the only way i managed to do it, it took me a long time and alot of patience though lol

looks good actually! they are much brighter than the refurbed fog lights I did.

corsaire77

Post by corsaire77 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:48 am

And here's the rust on the old ones:

I tried to heat the seal and bathe it in WD40 - they sort of half split where the corrosion had penetrated the housing. Maybe the future wife's hairdryer was not enough. Now I have my old set to experiment on with nothing to lose. Perchance I will subject it to an oven treatment. :fuelfire:

Once they are refurbished, one can fit Cree led http://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&p=545669 or SMD replacement bulbs http://allegro.pl/h11-102-smd-bialy-xen ... 26844.html

I used to drive around town with my old fishtanks on, but the police kindly instructed me that they are an active, reflective source of light certified as fog lamps (there is a norm number embossed on the plastic), whereas certified DRLs are a more passive, signal source (they don't project any beam etc).

As someone has rightly put it here, it's the European Commission meddling. :headbang:

Disca

Post by Disca » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:47 am

corsaire77 wrote:I used to drive around town with my old fishtanks on, but the police kindly instructed me that they are an active, reflective source of light certified as fog lamps (there is a norm number embossed on the plastic), whereas certified DRLs are a more passive, signal source (they don't project any beam etc).
I do that at present :D

Do very much like the look of these though, they don't look tacky like a couple of aftermarket ones, due to the covers I guess! May look into it at some point!
He who has the most toys, wins.

‘15 VFR1200FD

Jourdan0136

Post by Jourdan0136 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:49 am

Great write up. I tackled this on the weekend and was really impressed by the BOSNY chrome effect paint linked below. If anyone is planning this DIY then I would thoroughly recommend it - probably the best shine you can get from a rattle can.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chrome-Paint-Ae ... B00B00Y24O
Z4 3.0si Roadster

kayjay0_7

Post by kayjay0_7 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:11 pm

Very interesting read ,picked up a facelift bumper this week
Think this will be a little project for the summer

jamiecarpenter

Post by jamiecarpenter » Tue May 12, 2015 2:30 pm

Tried doing this mod and can not for the life of me break the seals all the way round. I've put them in the oven I've stood them in boiling water and all I have managed to do is mangle the rim of the lens and break a couple of clips. Any suggestions?
Silver Grey 3.0 si 06. Retrofitted sat nav, Cruise Control, Intravee, Door Cards and Heated Seats.

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Tue May 12, 2015 5:41 pm

I've just bought a brand new set OEM from Eurocarparts £124 the pair all inc, I have the old pair free for collection if anyone wants a project. They are in working order and have never been drilled.
2008 Z4 2.0i SE E85, Space Grey, 18" 241 staggered rims, 255/35/18, 225/40/18, 2 tone anthracite/silverstone leather Msport heated seats, M sport MFC Steering wheel, Bluetooth, Comfort pack, Tracker, Automatic climate control, Gaptech, Blah, blah.

jamiecarpenter

Post by jamiecarpenter » Thu May 14, 2015 5:37 pm

I've managed to now remove the lens from the backing plate. The lenses are now slightly damaged due to prizing them off, think they may have changed the sealant on the later lamps. Now I've started taking the rust and paint off with a wire brush drill head, and I'm not having much luck there either. Cant seem to budge the paint in places and it just blackens any other suggestions on how to strip them? Starting to think I may need to get them blasted!
Silver Grey 3.0 si 06. Retrofitted sat nav, Cruise Control, Intravee, Door Cards and Heated Seats.