Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Adjusting Headlights

Patrik

Adjusting Headlights

Post by Patrik » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:59 am

I’ve found the lights on my bog standard E85 2.0i pointing down a bit too much, even when I set it on the dashboard to the lowest setting, ie. with the lights pointing highest I can’t really see very far while the puddles and potholes close by are illuminated perfectly well. Now I’d like to at least check whether they are set up properly, would anyone know if I drive up to a wall, how far should the nose of the car be and how high the line on the wall for the headlights?

Patrik
Almost bog-standard 2007 Z4 E85 2.0i in silver on 17-inch rims, stubby, a well-hidden flat Focal subwoofer/amp, and a small sticker on the boot lid.

Rucky

Adjusting Headlights

Post by Rucky » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:37 am

For a rough guide - I did my 2 Excite replacements on a 2.5 E85 Halogen set up and it passed the mot fine.
Mark the center of each light with a marker.
Measure the height of the dot from the ground = A
Measure the distance between the two dots = B
Put two vertical tapes on a wall distance B apart
Put two horizontal tapes at height A intersecting the verticals.
Put a horizontal tape 2in down on the left and 4" down on the right ( For RH Drive)
Park car 3' from tapes and adjust lights one at a time to be centered on the tape intersection of A/B

Reverse about 25/30 ft directly back and bounce the suspension a couple of times.
One light at a time

Adjust heiight of low beam cut off so it hits the RH 4" and LH 2" lines below horizontal center and is centered on the vertical line.

Mains should be set with center of beam on the A/B intersection ie Straight Ahead, parallel to the road.

When the car is loaded the drivers adjuster will need to adjust the lights down to compensate so start with it at the highest setting

That should het you a pass at MOT
04 2.5i Titan silver - 1st Z4 now sold on
07 3.0si Silver Grey M Sport pak.
X5 and assorted motorbikes

Patrik

Adjusting Headlights

Post by Patrik » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:52 am

Thanks, Rucky! I’l go down to the garage tonight and get marking the walls :D :thumbsup:
Almost bog-standard 2007 Z4 E85 2.0i in silver on 17-inch rims, stubby, a well-hidden flat Focal subwoofer/amp, and a small sticker on the boot lid.

JS1

Adjusting Headlights

Post by JS1 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:56 am

I have 2005 Z4 3.0I GB version, but have moved to EU, how can I change the direction of the headlamp so it does not dazzle on coming drivers as IN EU we drive on the right side so am currently dazzling on coming traffic from the left. Thanks

Rucky

Adjusting Headlights

Post by Rucky » Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:35 pm

If they are Original BMW Headlights then they should have a lever on the back that changes the dip. If they are 2excite replacement the dip lever is deleted and you have to use the stick on headlight deflectors.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AA-Headlamp-Be ... 76684&th=1

JS1

Adjusting Headlights

Post by JS1 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:54 pm

@Rucky thanks for your message. Bizarre thing is this adjustment (via the lever) was made about 3 years ago but car did not need to be tested (due to covid etc) until a couple of weeks ago at which point they failed me advising that they are pointing in wrong (UK) direction as opposed to EU. Do you think the lever could have potentially reset itself back to UK position during the last 3 years driving? Its so weird.

Rucky

Adjusting Headlights

Post by Rucky » Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:24 am

Unlikely but you have a solution now.