Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Improved Lighting / Brighter lights

PeteCowell

Re: Improved Lighting / Brighter lights

Post by PeteCowell » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:19 pm

Right, have now changed my bulbs to Philips X-treme power, can anyone advise of me of where the height adjuster is, believe it's in the engine bay and how much I just turn/adjust it ?

Thanks
58 2.0i Sport, Black Sapphire

Toekiller

Post by Toekiller » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Just done the mod to the Philips x-treme. Have to agree that the biggest diff was adjusting the headlights up.

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:45 am

PeteCowell wrote:Right, have now changed my bulbs to Philips X-treme power, can anyone advise of me of where the height adjuster is, believe it's in the engine bay and how much I just turn/adjust it ?

Thanks
Since nobody's answered this I'll have a go (would be easier with a photo...):

there's very small, white plastic screw-like things on either side, just behind the headlamp units under the bonnet. Best thing is to face the car towards a wall or something so you can see the headlights shining on the way, then turn the screw accordingly. I'm sure it's clockwise to raise them but could be wrong! I went up 1.5 turns on mine and seems fine, MOT is next month so guess I'll find out if they're legal height then.
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:21 pm

Picking up from a11y of the 2 screws one moves the light left right, the other up down. This adjustment has nothing to do with the reset cycle that the internals of the bam go through on start up.

Just remember exactly where the original position was in case you go wrong.

Best place to adjust is a multi storey car park as they seem to have lots of flat floor and square vertical walls, compared toe the average drive and garage.

Of course the local MOT station can adjust them easily using their beam tester. I know mine failed :thumbsdown:
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

DELBOY

Post by DELBOY » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:29 am

Thanks for the advice from fellow members, I've changed to Phillips Extreme bulbs, ( have to say it took 10 times longer than anticipated due to not having tiny 360 degree multi jointed appendages on the end of my arms which would work robotically in restricted spaces) but the net result was a good improvement over the standard set up. After much fiddling, I've eventually set the beam height to somewhere between ok under normal conditions and "stuff the oncoming traffic, I need to see where I'm going safely when pressing on a bit" . . . .selfish I know, but so far no panic flashes from oncoming traffic, and of course I can re -adjust on the fly so to speak. I know for certain that when I change the Z next time, for either new or nearly new (yes I think Z4's are brilliant) I'll make sure the car is specced with Xenons! Once again, thanks to a brilliant forum, and the contributions from fellow members.

2014 Z4 sDrive 35is

docttor999

Post by docttor999 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:06 pm

Hi guys,

Just done a search regarding the above and thought I would drag this topic back! Just got my Zed this weekend! :driving:

Has anyone used these lights before: http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/H7-Phi ... eviews=all

They are similar to the Phillips H7 but have a more white look which I would prefer to the yellow currently. Do the standard H7 Phillips upgrade improve the colour of the light?

Thanks

docttor999

Post by docttor999 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:10 pm

Changed the bulbs yesterday and I agree took longer than I thought, getting the back cover on was very fiddly with the metal bar to replace on the back of the headlight unit. I hope the seal is ok. I upgraded to a whiter light, the prob now is the sidelights do not match the new bulbs! Need to do it over again with a change of the whiter sidelights when I get time!

coronacreek

Post by coronacreek » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:59 am

Hey there,

With early dark night apon us again, I have decided to upgrade the crappy standard halogen bulbs in my 2007 Z4 2.0.

I am looking at buying from powerbulbs.com (free sidelights) and just about to order the "Philips X-treme Vision H7" when I saw "Philips Blue Vision Ultra H7 4000K". They are supposed to be very similar to Xenon bulbs. Here's the link,
Philips Blue Vision Ultra H7 4000K.

I was wondering if anyone has tried these. I know it has a blue effect which I don't mind.

Thanks,
Ray.

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:45 pm

The Xenons on my runabout have a much higher beam than the Xenons on my Z4. Really useful thread, I am going to mess around with the height tomorrow, and report back after an evening drive tomorrow eve :)
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

incassable

Post by incassable » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:09 pm

Hi Guys,

Just played around with my headlights because I don't see anything with it compared to my A3.

The A3 headlights cast a wide white beam while the Z4s cast a narrow rainbow colored beam !
I raised it a bit but it will obviously be still far from my A3 lights.

I've heard many bad things about the phillips bulbs (lifetime) so I just found these:
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B003479 ... KAKR8XB7XF

I will probably buy them.

Does any of you have pics of their beam against a wall ? I don't really get the purpose of this huge lens in front of the bulb. My A3 has "naked" bulbs and it's very neat.

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:15 pm

I never reported back after my post above :oops:

I raised the beam 1.5 turns both sides. Passed an MOT no problem, and the lights are much improved :thumbsup:
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

incassable

Post by incassable » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:20 pm

sorry for waking you up :P

MrRenF

Post by MrRenF » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:27 pm

Hi all,

Picked up my first Z a couple of weeks ago and although Ive fallen in love with my Z, there are quite a few niggly bits Ive been looking into.

First of which is the lack of visibility at night, I was a little shocked at how rubbish they were. Ive read through this thread (as I have many other threads to, great site btw. Hope I'll be an active contributor in the future). And I see this is quite an old thread, but has anyone used these H7 Ring Xenon130 +130% 12V 55W 477 Halogen Bulbs (Pair) and how do they compare to the Phillips X-treme Vision?

A colleague recommended them as had used them on his Mazda R8 and said they made a big difference on that. He also pointed me at a site called http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/ which are cheaper than http://www.consumabulbs.com/

Im also going to attempt to refresh the cloudy/foggy headlamp glass before winter, so expect I'll need to post questions on that thread to ;-)

Cheers all
Z4 2.5 Sport SE auto | 2004 | Gunmetal Grey | Drop the top and go!!

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:50 pm

Consumabulbs charge like a raging bull, I use ABD, Osram Nightbrealer unlimited, get the plastic headlight covers polished to clear any cloudiness issues, if apparent. and make sure the headlight adjustment is notched up a bit. Job done.
2008 Z4 2.0i SE E85, Space Grey, 18" 241 staggered rims, 255/35/18, 225/40/18, 2 tone anthracite/silverstone leather Msport heated seats, M sport MFC Steering wheel, Bluetooth, Comfort pack, Tracker, Automatic climate control, Gaptech, Blah, blah.

MrRenF

Post by MrRenF » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:27 pm

Geezah wrote:Consumabulbs charge like a raging bull, I use ABD, Osram Nightbrealer unlimited, get the plastic headlight covers polished to clear any cloudiness issues, if apparent. and make sure the headlight adjustment is notched up a bit. Job done.
Cheers Geezah, I'll take a look at the Osrams to:)
Z4 2.5 Sport SE auto | 2004 | Gunmetal Grey | Drop the top and go!!