Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Improved Lighting / Brighter lights

PeteCowell

Improved Lighting / Brighter lights

Post by PeteCowell » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:31 pm

I have non-xenon lights my Z4 and would like to improves its lights, was thinking of fitting brighter bulbs, has anyone done this, what would they recommend, hear about the phillips bulbs. How easy it ?

Thanks
58 2.0i Sport, Black Sapphire

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Improved Lighting / Brighter lights

Post by RustyZ4 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:07 pm

I put the philips extreme on mine, they are much brighter :thumbsup: , easy enough to change, just make sure you reseat the plasic covers back right, or you get moisture in the headlight, which is a pain to get out, just like i did :oops:
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

Andrew_Morris

Post by Andrew_Morris » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:20 pm

RustyZ4 wrote:I put the philips extreme on mine, they are much brighter :thumbsup: , easy enough to change, just make sure you reseat the plasic covers back right, or you get moisture in the headlight, which is a pain to get out, just like i did :oops:
x2 :oops:

Best £30 you can spend on your car :thumbsup:
White 2.0i sport / 108's / Comfort Package / BMW ipod adaptor - Gone but not forgotten

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:54 pm

Try search - it's been discussed at length many many times. Xenon upgrage, aftermarket xenon or hid, different bulbs, beam adjustment, etc.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:31 pm

As CJ10 said do a search but I found the Philips 80% brighter on their own were not enough, I raised my headlights by two complete turns no I can see as clear as day.

just need to put back come MOT time. I also know both my headlights were mid limit as they had just been set by main dealer as I had complaied that I could see no more than 6 feet at times.

PeteCowell

Post by PeteCowell » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:14 pm

Thanks all, where do I access the lights, is is in wheel area?

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:19 pm

RTFM :P

Yep, there's an access panel in the wheel arch, but it's all detailed in the manual. Really easy job: if you're working on the passenger side, turn the wheel to the left, and vice-versa. Just be sure you close up the unit properly afterwards to avoid water leaks.

And another vote for the Philips Xtreme bulbs - they make a noticeable difference, but not as much as adjusting the height of the beams via the white adjusters inside the engine bay.
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

Mr Whippy

Post by Mr Whippy » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:18 pm

I got 90% bulbs for about £25 for dip, and upped the beams a bit, much better.

Do the same for the full beam and they should be really nice!

Dave
04 3.0i, Titanium Silver, 107s, red m-sport interior

PeteCowell

Post by PeteCowell » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:40 pm

Cheers all, any recommends where best to buy them?

Mr Whippy

Post by Mr Whippy » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:15 pm

My local independent car bits supplier did the bulbs for mine cheaper than most places... I think I got Ring/Osram 90% brighter ones, in white (not crappy blue tint)

Consumabulbs are good (online shop)... look out for their deals!

Definately a good upgrade anyway. My old H7's looked original and well worn/oxidised filaments. The difference was pretty huge on the bulb swap alone... went from poor to 'good enough', then with the beam would up a bit they were perfectly adequate for me :)

Dave
04 3.0i, Titanium Silver, 107s, red m-sport interior

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RustyZ4 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:34 pm

Yep consumabulbs is the best place, dont forget to get your headlights adjusted to max legal height, as that really helps too :thumbsup:

fr45er

Post by fr45er » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:11 pm

RustyZ4 wrote:Yep consumabulbs is the best place, dont forget to get your headlights adjusted to max legal height, as that really helps too :thumbsup:
Looks like a nice easy modification, is it easy to adjust the height of the headlights, even on max height on mine it is very low.

I have a 2008 Z4 2.0, would these be OK?

http://www.consumabulbs.com/files/bdet.php?id=715

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:19 pm

Yep, have a search on here for further info but it's basically by turning a white adjuster screw located behind each headlight, under the bonnet.

I might have to lower mine a bit as I get the (very) occasional flash by oncoming cars, but only when I'm going downhill or over the crest of a hill, i.e. when oncomers are below me...
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

fr45er

Post by fr45er » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:25 pm

a11y wrote:Yep, have a search on here for further info but it's basically by turning a white adjuster screw located behind each headlight, under the bonnet.

I might have to lower mine a bit as I get the (very) occasional flash by oncoming cars, but only when I'm going downhill or over the crest of a hill, i.e. when oncomers are below me...

Excellent, thanks for the quick reply. I only recently got the car and was out driving a couple of nights ago and it was borderline dangerous..... Compared to my previous car it was almost like I had them turned all the way down. That and the lightbulb mod should improve things.

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RustyZ4 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:13 pm

fr45er wrote:
RustyZ4 wrote:Yep consumabulbs is the best place, dont forget to get your headlights adjusted to max legal height, as that really helps too :thumbsup:
Looks like a nice easy modification, is it easy to adjust the height of the headlights, even on max height on mine it is very low.

I have a 2008 Z4 2.0, would these be OK?

http://www.consumabulbs.com/files/bdet.php?id=715

Yep their the ones, but do you change one pair (Headlights) or both pairs (main beam as well) big desicion time :D