Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What Am I Doing Wrong? ( Center Vents )

Sky-drive

Post by Sky-drive » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:37 pm

JackB1 wrote:Here is how I removed mine - it does take someone holding two screwdrivers that are pushing up the metal clips. Then you have your hands free to pull the vent assembly straight out towards you. I got a piece of string through, around the back and out again (string not shown), then pulled on the strings until it came out.

It is like everything else associated with removing in terior parts. unless you have done it before, you really don't know how the fastners work - you really risk breaking things due to the unknown!

Here are some pics -

Hope this helps!
:oldman:
Best!
Jack
Appreciate this is a very old thread now however the photo of the screwdriver pushing up on the metal tabs is bloody misleading and in my opinion should be removed from the forum ...

The OP should have made it very very clear at the beginning of the post that the metal tabs require pulling down, not PUSHING UP.

By following this post I managed to lock the metal tabs upwards on my Zed and ended up having to wrench the centre vent unit out and causing the plastic edge of the centre vent unit to warp. Not a massive issue as the centre vent unit needs replacing anyway as one of the air flap dials is faulty ... I just don't want anyone else to end up in the same predicament I was ...
Xenons | LED S/lights | CF Trim | Royale SW | ZHP | CDV | AUX | DISA | Vanos Refurb | Cruise | MV2s | Roof motor > boot | K&N | Sound Gen | Interior LEDs | E/H seats | Remapped

csquire4

Post by csquire4 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:33 pm

I posted this video on youtube to try an help people out. It's not briliant (my first attempt at a help video) but should give people the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKvm7ZlodN0&t=9s

WORD OF WARNING !!! - IF YOU ARE FORCING IT THE FASTENERS/CLIPS ARE NOT RELEASED.

When you get it right it just slides out.
Last edited by csquire4 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 3.0i, manual, toledo blue

Sky-drive

Post by Sky-drive » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:28 pm

csquire4 wrote:I posted this video on youtube to try an help people out. It's not briliant (my first attempt at a help video) but should give people the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKvm7ZlodN0&t=9s

WORD OF WARNING !!! - IF YOU ARE FORCING IT THE THE FASTENERS/CLIPS ARE NOT RELEASED.

When you get it right it just slides out.
Yeah I did exactly the same ... I used a metal screwdriver to extract the centre vents out and chipped the aluminium dash edge ... hohum!

Didn't help at the time a) being a newbie and b) following the photo at the start of this thread!

Might make sense to create a separate thread for your video and post it in the E85 How to section? Also, if not too late, possibly show from a side view in your video the angle of the screwdriver and the angle of the vent slats to demonstrate how to get the tip of the screwdriver to reach the 2 metal tabs on the top of the vents.
Xenons | LED S/lights | CF Trim | Royale SW | ZHP | CDV | AUX | DISA | Vanos Refurb | Cruise | MV2s | Roof motor > boot | K&N | Sound Gen | Interior LEDs | E/H seats | Remapped

rdm05z4

Post by rdm05z4 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:27 pm

Adding this as it may help others. Once the "tabs' were pushed down. I used a coat hanger bent in a "U" shape put in vent and back around middle post then pulled gently came right out.
2005 3.0i Manual, Sterling Gray Metallic Sport suspension, heated seats, top line Business Cd radio
2007 Nissan Maxima -Silver-Auto
2009 VW Wolfsburg Jetta-Black-6sp manual