Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

window regulator fitting

De4n

window regulator fitting

Post by De4n » Fri May 21, 2010 6:13 pm

Hi, can someone help please, I've just started to change the window regulator, I am just about to remove the air bag but I cannot disconnect the wiring harness. I don't want to force it, does it just pull off or does it have a retaining clip? Cheers

De4n

Re: window regulator fitting

Post by De4n » Fri May 21, 2010 9:12 pm

don't worry all is ok. what a job!!! 3.5 hours

lunny

Post by lunny » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:36 pm

Having just done this job and struggled to find a how to, i thought id post my experience here as seems a logical place. No pics im afraid but ill try and list out what to do. Initially id say its an everage job but some basic engineering know how, tools and patience is all you need. No special tools are required

Tools req
Set of torx keys
10mm sockets inc a long thin one to get through the door skin
Flat blade drivers
Sharp knife
Torch is useful
Wirecutters
3 x cups of coffee/tea (plan on 2-3 hrs)
Replacement regulator. Mine was £156 from bmw
Door card Clips are 60p each if you break them

1. Prise out airbag plastic moulding from door card
2. Prise out circular screw cap behing door release
3. Prise cover off inner door handle
4. Prise while lifting mirror speaker cowl. Disconnect speaker connector and aside.
5. Remove 4 torx screws from handle, door opener and airbag motif hole.
6. Using flat blade driver ease door card away from door starting at the bottom
7. Door card is now held on by 5 clips at the top. Pull door card away from door, NOT upwards. Clips are tight so take care but it will come away.
8. Disconnect door release cable
9. Disconnect electric window and mirror connectors from door switch. Aside door card.
10. IMPORTANT. Now disconnect earth lead on battery. If you dont do this airbag warning light will come on.
11. Remove 3 screws holding airbag in. Ease of connecter and aside. Remove mirror wire clip from door.
12. The moisture cover is held on by good sealant. I went round mine with a knife to cut the sealant. Aside cover.
13. Remove sealing grommet from bottom of door to get access to lower regulator nut. Remove 5 nuts holding regulator in.
14. Unclip regulator cable from clip inside door in middle.
15. Remove regulator from window. Front is a ball joint. Pull retaining clip off and ease cup moulding off ball with driver. Rear is a torx bolt through the regulator bracket and plastic window shroud. To get easy access, window must be half way down so torx bolt lines up with access hole in door. If like me the window is stuck up you can cut the wires to allow it to drop down.
16. Remove window motor (3 torx screws) and swap onto new regulator.
17. Refit regulator and connect to window. I had to use the motor to turn the regulator to get the right height so the torx bolt lined up with the access hole for refitting.
18. Once the regulator is refitted you need to check the adjustment to the roof. To do this your going to have to reconnect switches and the airbag, then reconnect the battery. The golden rule is only connect the battery with the airbag connected and only disconnect the airbag with the earth lead removed from the battery. Test the window and adjust the rear window connection as necessary to get a good window/ roof fit. Once happy remove battery earth, airbag and switches again.
19. Refit moisture cover. Sealant should restick but use duck tape as necessary
20. Feed wiring through holes. Reconnect and refit airbag. Reconnect all connecters on door card inc door release.
21. Feed door button through hole and push door card back onto the 5 clips at the top.
22. Ease door card downwards engaging all plastic clips again. Take care not to break them.
23. Refit 4 torx screws, handle cover, airbag motif, mirror speaker cowl and door release screw cover
24. Tidy up, stand back and admire your work.

Hope this helps someone someday. Obviously this is a guide and there is no replacement for patience and common sense.

:thumbsup:

RenoRaines

Post by RenoRaines » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:49 pm

One thing to notice. When dealing with cables in the door pay special attention to bowden cable. The cable from door handle do door-lock/lock actuator. If you won't twist it the the right position, your glass railing will clip on it. Clipping the bowden cables can mean bending it, shaving foam protection of it ir even making some severe damage to the window lifting mechanism or door handle mechanism.

One of my mechanics managed to bend my bowden cable into wrong position. Raising and lowering the glass produced weird trimming sound. After I checked what's going on I saw bowden cable twisted, rubbed and with breaks. I managed to straighten it and zip-tie it to door handle plastic. When you tie it down you SHOULD check door handle resistance. Tie it to hard and you'll feel a considerable amount of resistance operating the door handle. So zip-tie it gently, just enough to keep the bowden cable away from glass lifting mechanism.

I'll post pictures which I have.

James1

window regulator fitting

Post by James1 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:17 pm

Great post.
Has anyone used the repair kits that are sold on e bay - would like to know if they work or not

Thanks

James1

window regulator fitting

Post by James1 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:01 pm

Hello - anyone there please

w1ndsurfnut

window regulator fitting

Post by w1ndsurfnut » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:16 am

Hello James. I'm just having a nightmare with the cable replacement route. Bought off eBay. it says its the right one for my car. For a start, the spring loaded fitting at one end of the cable is different(see photo) I managed to make it fit by shaving off a very small amount of plastic from the original part where the motor goes. Now I have re threaded the cable, both adjustment springs are fully compressed, and I cannot get the cable back over all 4 pulleys.
Shows variation in fitting
Shows variation in fitting
20200205_105858_resized.jpg (425.67 KiB) Viewed 4003 times
Cable not over 2 pulleys, springs fully compressed
Cable not over 2 pulleys, springs fully compressed
20200205_104516_resized.jpg (193.75 KiB) Viewed 4003 times

James1

window regulator fitting

Post by James1 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:06 pm

Twist it hard - they will go back on the pulleys - use a screwdriver to assist if required