Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to retrofit M Steering Wheel with Multi Function Control

navid.v
Lifer
Lifer

Re: How to retrofit M Steering Wheel with Multi Function Con

Post by navid.v » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:57 am

I love S5's have to be honest (really like RS5 but for that sort of money, rather drive an R8) :lol:

nicollow

Post by nicollow » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:43 am

Yeah, its the 5 door one so its got a supercharged V6 instead of the proper V8. Somehow it looks like poo compared to the coupe too?!?

navid.v
Lifer
Lifer

Post by navid.v » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:49 am

nicollow wrote:Yeah, its the 5 door one so its got a supercharged V6 instead of the proper V8. Somehow it looks like poo compared to the coupe too?!?
I know what you mean, don't like the sportback at all :) just the Audi Coupe :P

adam81

Post by adam81 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:14 pm

I will have the standard M sport steering wheel but with out the buttons, does anyone know what the part number is for the kit i would need ?

I would want the spoke in black as well. its for a 3.0si sport coupe

Many thanks ! ive spent the last hour looking for the number ........

adam81

Post by adam81 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:24 pm

Anyone any ideas :thumbsup:

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:34 pm

No idea but have you looked it up on realoem?

http://realoem.com/bmw/
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

adam81

Post by adam81 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:03 pm

inkey$ wrote:No idea but have you looked it up on realoem?

http://realoem.com/bmw/

Yeah ive checked there mate only part number i can find is this one 65710304942 - but it states the colour is graphite i thought these should be black ?

Cheers though :thumbsup:

Juss

Post by Juss » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:48 pm

Hi,

I followed these instructions to replace my standard steering wheel on my 2007 Z4 Coupe for a multi-function wheel from a 2003 roadster. Put everything together and plugged in all the relevant wires (black and green airbag plugs & white multi-function wheel plug). However, when reattaching the car battery, the multi-function buttons do not do anything.

Any suggestions much appreciated. I understood that a 2007 Coupe wouldn't need a retrofit cable. Is it because the wheel is an older model than the car? Or is there a fault with the MFSW? Would love to get this resolved sooner than later as, if it's the MFSW that's faulty, I'd like to get a refund on it asap.

Thanks!

Juss

navid.v
Lifer
Lifer

Post by navid.v » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:59 pm

Juss,

Did you have multifunction buttons on your original steering wheel? If not, you will need extra cables to get them to work. There is no need for the extra wiring for cars built before 10/2004 IIRC.

Juss

Post by Juss » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:06 pm

Thanks for replying Navid. No I didn't have buttons on my original steering wheel, and I thought you only needed the extra wiring if the car was pre 10/2003? And that's what it tells you in the instructions at the beginning of this thread. Anyone?

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ranski » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:40 pm

I guess the only way of telling is to see if the extra wiring is present or not

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

GreyZed

Post by GreyZed » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:50 pm

I have recently fitted a multi-function wheel to my 07-2003 roadster and I have a couple of points to add to this very comprehensive thread that may help others who do this mod...

1. Before you remove your steering wheel check it's alignment to dead centre travel (ie when you are cruising in a dead straight line is your wheel perfectly straight?). If it isn't you can correct this when you refit the wheel. Mine took one or two splines to correct (probably due to track rod end/ball joint replacement work in the past and car being tracked without the steering wheel being clamped first).

2. BMW now want over £20 for the retrofit cable which is an absolute f***ing disgrace! It really is just 2 short lengths of single core cable and 2 little scotchloks! If you get an old 3 series connector block and salvage a couple of the pins you could make this yourself for next to nothing.

3. You may need to remove quite a bit of the loom wrap from the cables that go into the back of the light switch to free up enough cable length to comfortably attach the scotchloks. I certainly had to, oh and watch the sharp edge around the instrument binnacle housing (ah well I think I had too much skin on that thumb anyway!)

Other than that very easy job - hardest bit is waiting the 20mins after you disconnect the battery -ve terminal before getting stuck in!
3.0 auto, sterling grey, hardtop, prfessional nav, dsp, digital tv, bluetooth, cruise, xenons, mfsw, cupholders, auto lights, auto wipers, folding mirrors, memory seats, wind deflector, pdc, 108s, LED sides/fogs, stubby, intravee, need a quad exhaust!

ripatsu

Post by ripatsu » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:58 am

Hello from Finland! Thanks for the nice Z4 forum!

Had to register to this site because having major problems in fitting the cable

First of all the airbag is getting out very easily but after that you are facing numerous of problems:

1) How to get the cable in to the green plug. I tried to open it, but failed. Only small peace came out. It is almost impossible mission to try to put the pins into the plug deep enough, because they are so big. So I think they are not getting any contact. How is the plug to be opened correctly?

2) I had big problems trying to get the light plug off. The correct way to do it is first press slightly on the plug with finger and then remove the white thing around the plug besides. It is locking the plug into the place. After that you can pull the plug up. Huh, took an hour for my brains to solve this problem.

3) The same problem with the cables of the light plug. First you have (i guess) to remove the existing violet and yellow cable from the light plug. To do that You need lots of power! Then you have to connect the wires with the scotch connector, and that won't be easy if you don't know how to do it! In my case I doubt I have don that correctly.

Okay all this took about 4 hours (I have been replacing the wheel itself quite time ago) and the result as i said was that my electrical system of car is not working anymore:

1) the side repeaters won't work at all

2) the xenon lights went crazy. They are doing some wild moves every time you switch the lights on.

3) The buttons in the multifunction wheel won't work at all.

4) you can't drive a car without side repaters not working...

Can anyone help pls?
BMW Z4 3.0 Si A

ripatsu

Post by ripatsu » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:12 pm

Problem solved:
I noticed I have misunderstood totally how to use scotch lock. :x The other thing I got wrong was that there is no need to get the wires out of the lightplug! :x So tried to put em back into the plug but not succeeded properly. So neet to get the vehicle to the dealer. But at least I got the car working now. Unfortunately the multifunction does not work because i did not connect the wire. There was enough job for me to return the car as it was condition. This certainly taught me something. Do not do anything if you are not sure what you are doing. Got too much selfconfidence in istalling the cruiser earlier. It was easy and took 15 minutes. Plug and play otherwise than this.

Take care Z4'ers
BMW Z4 3.0 Si A

shawna

Post by shawna » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:24 pm

Fantastic Thread i have to get one as well haha