Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 Windshield Spray Fix

huyzee

Z4 Windshield Spray Fix

Post by huyzee » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:52 pm

My first diy guide. So bare with me!

Is your windshield spray in your z4 not working or spraying really weak? If so, follow this guide to fix it. Disclaimer: Do at your own risk although this is really easy and hard to mess anything up.

First you might want to do some checks. Are the fuses okay?(check owners manual on location). When you pull the lever do you hear any winding motor sounds? If not, it most likely the fuse or the motor(13 dollars at oreilys- shown how to replace also below). If it is winding and no spray or weak spray then follow below. The cause of this is most likely built up mildew and dirt in the filter location after the motor. With these direction you'll clean the filter to make a perfect flowing system.

Step 1: Pop open your hood and you should see the windshield fluid reservoir on the left side of the engine bay. You should see the motor pump on the right side of it with a harness coming in. Pull the harness off and wiggle/pull the motor out of the socket inside the reservoir. It really easy. Just pull and remove the harness connector and the tubing. Reverse directions to replace it.

Step 2: After that there is a 1(one) 10mm bolt holding the reservoir in place. Remove that and pull the reservoir out. After doing that use hose and clean out the box. Also at the spot where the pump come out there is a black round rubber thing that holds the filter. Pry that out and there should be a bunch of dirt. Clean it and then put it back. Shown below after mine was cleaned.

Step 3: Reverse all direction above to put it all back and enjoy your newly working spray!

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Z4 Windshield Spray Fix

Post by ronk » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:45 pm

Just had a warning from my dealer.

He says to use ONLY BMW addidtive to the screen wash tank! He tells me that it contains stuff to prevent algea and jelling etc of the solution that tend to block the lower filter.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

bcworkz

Post by bcworkz » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:45 pm

ronk wrote:Just had a warning from my dealer.

He says to use ONLY BMW addidtive to the screen wash tank! He tells me that it contains stuff to prevent algea and jelling etc of the solution that tend to block the lower filter.
Yeah, a stealer would say that. Any winter mix fluid will have a fair bit of either methanol, ethanol or isopropanol, enough that it's impossible for anything organic to grow in it. Now if you use just plain water, you definitely should use some sort of additive, though it doesn't need to be from BMW.
"The cause of most problems are solutions" (06 3.0si, sport pkg)

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:35 pm

I hear what you say bcworkz but in defence of him, in my disco 3, I get a jelly like sludge in the top filter of the washer bottle. (enough to block it) The dealer says that the BMW fluid doesn't congeal in this way.

They charge £120 to clear the system!
Last edited by ronk on Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:03 pm

Never had a problem, and always used tesco concentrate for last 10 years +

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:22 pm

He didn't say all non BMW washer fluid congealed on the filter - only some, so you take your chances that's all. The fella had no axe to grind and would be just as happy to book the car in to clear the filter or sell some BMW branded fluid. Either way it was well intentioned advice.

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Swiftly » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:18 am

Nice write up :thumbsup:
Replacement, G29 Z4 M40i Lci in Alpine White :wub:
Gone G29 Z4 M40i in San Francisco Red
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

huyzee

Post by huyzee » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:59 am

Don't listen to them. Its a simple fix if it ever get clogged. took me like 20 mins max. I use the rain-x orange fluid