Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fixing Z4 Transport Mode on 2007 Z4 coupe

Easter

Fixing Z4 Transport Mode on 2007 Z4 coupe

Post by Easter » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:46 am

Hi all,

Last weekend I picked up my 2007 BMW Z4 Coupe, and found the heated rear window didn't work, the heating blower was pathetic, and the air con didn't work. A web search brought me to the complicated world of BMW coding and finding that it was in Transport mode.

Well, I'm not about to take it to a dealer when I can do something myself, so after much googling came across the friendly BMW community and all the help I could need!

I fixed it, and I hope the information here can help anyone else who has the issue.

The most difficult thing seemed to get a cable that works, and the software to go with it. I was lucky to come across BM Technics at http://bmtechnic.co.uk/, and they recommended the 'BMW Diagnostic Cable – Black Edition'. This also comes with all the software needed, and worked perfectly.

Installation and fixing was simple, all in all taking only a couple of hours start to finish.

The one bit of advice is don't leave your lights on! I had the lights set to Auto, and after an hour or two of playing the car wouldn't start, which made me think I had bricked the car… Not good after a week. Luckily it was only a flat battery :-)

Some of these steps are I from http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh ... ?t=1867577, cheers rdl.
Some steps might not be compete, most of this is from memory
• Bought cable and software from http://bmtechnic.co.uk/bmw-diagnostic-c ... k-edition/
• Installed the following software
○ Step 1: USB Cable Driver Software
○ Step 2: INPA / EDIBAS / NCSExpert / WinKFP
○ Step 5: VMWare Player
○ Step 6: BMW DIS / GT1
• Started up BMW DIS, and waited for the main screen to appear.
• Easy-DIS said it was v1.0 - base 44, which I think is an earlier version than we need. However, on the Diagnosis screen it says DVD 57.0 - 03/2009 so will work with 2007 Z4
• Selected Diagnosis
• Selected series and model of car, and clicked green arrow in bottom right
• When prompted, plugged into ODB-II plug under a small hinged cover under dash on right side if driver side.
• Loaded, run quick test on the modules detected
• When complete, Right arrow to get to the results
• Selected an error and right green arrow
• Found transport mode, selected, right arrow
○ 'After deleting, must clear defect code memories of all modules using quick delete'
• Select delete, right arrow again
• Deleting, please wait
• Finished, left arrow all the way back?
• Selected end, and selected 'quick delete'
• Then terminate
• Car made some noises. Very worrying… but OK
• All done!

Checked, and I now have proper heating - thank god!

Hope this helps someone.

Easter.

(this is my first post other than the 'hello' post. Hope I've not broken any forum rules)

DrNick

Re: Fixing Z4 Transport Mode on 2007 Z4 coupe

Post by DrNick » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:35 am

You posted pics in your hello post escaping the much feared :worthless: so according to the z4 community you can now do no wrongs!!

Am sure others will find your info useful :thumbsup:
2007 Carbon Black 2.0 Sport + comfort pack + bluetooth - Loved and not forgotten!
2012 E89 Space Grey M Sport 2.0 Auto - need to update signature!

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:08 am

Hello and welcome! That was a bit of a traumatic entry into the world of Zed ownership but well done!
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:55 am

My coupe was also in "transport" mode when i bought it . Indy charged me £30 to fettle it which i was happy with especially now reading your "how to fix"
Well beyond my capabilities :cry:
Impressed :thumbsup: can you also set the 3 flash indicator + other stuff with your gadgetry ?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:04 pm

3 flash yes along with selective locking, programming seat memory to move to correct position when certain key is used. plus other bits and bobs.

bluestreak56
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bluestreak56 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:20 pm

Good write up, might be worth linking in all the things that can be programmed on an E85, E86 and E89 here also?

Easter

Post by Easter » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:43 pm

What a great community, very happy to be a member!

Slightly traumatic but great fun. When I thought i Bricked the car I felt very sick, but elated when it wasn't ;)

I'm sure I'll be playing more with the computer stuff so will post when I find out more. This is still early days so lots to learn. I'll try the 3 flash indicator thing first and let you know.

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:06 pm

hello and welcome, sounds like you could be a valuble member :thumbsup:

fatcatsailor

Post by fatcatsailor » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:00 am

Aww Man! Finally after 2 days of searching I found this post. Thank You so much. Now to see if they do business in the USA and how much. First time owner of a 2006 z4 3.0i and what a blast it has been. Private owner that knew nothing about BMW's said the AC don't work. To find the heater fan not working, AC not working, Rear defrost not working (even the lights on the button won't light up) and some presets on the radio and base and treble buttons not working, I came to the conclusion it was the transport mode when all fuses were good, and the previous owner had changed the battery after it went bad not to long ago.
Living 200 miles from the dealer this post is a life saver if I can fix it myself.

Bought it 2 days ago, and the car was a real dirt bag..took all day to clean it up and 2 coats of wax. Can't believe someone could treat a car this way. Looking better now but got some cosmetic parts on the interior to fix and a few dings. Funny how everything shows on black..but worth it to me.

I am a new proud member hopefully with much to offer as I drive my new adventure. Tis nothing like my 528 and 328..what a blast!
Thank You, Z-4 Forum

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:45 am

I posted a how-to thread with some software screenshots that may be helpful. Why? I think this problem sucks and I wanted to perhaps help anyone who encounters the problem to have a solution that's as painless as possible without having to pay someone to fix this issue that shouldn't even exist. :headbang:

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt ... vice-level

If you've run into this problem, post a reply and I'll try to help out if I can.

kammy1975

Post by kammy1975 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:32 am

Easter wrote:Hi all,

Last weekend I picked up my 2007 BMW Z4 Coupe, and found the heated rear window didn't work, the heating blower was pathetic, and the air con didn't work. A web search brought me to the complicated world of BMW coding and finding that it was in Transport mode.

Well, I'm not about to take it to a dealer when I can do something myself, so after much googling came across the friendly BMW community and all the help I could need!

I fixed it, and I hope the information here can help anyone else who has the issue.

The most difficult thing seemed to get a cable that works, and the software to go with it. I was lucky to come across BM Technics at http://bmtechnic.co.uk/, and they recommended the 'BMW Diagnostic Cable – Black Edition'. This also comes with all the software needed, and worked perfectly.

Installation and fixing was simple, all in all taking only a couple of hours start to finish.

The one bit of advice is don't leave your lights on! I had the lights set to Auto, and after an hour or two of playing the car wouldn't start, which made me think I had bricked the car… Not good after a week. Luckily it was only a flat battery :-)

Some of these steps are I from http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh ... ?t=1867577, cheers rdl.
Some steps might not be compete, most of this is from memory
• Bought cable and software from http://bmtechnic.co.uk/bmw-diagnostic-c ... k-edition/
• Installed the following software
○ Step 1: USB Cable Driver Software
○ Step 2: INPA / EDIBAS / NCSExpert / WinKFP
○ Step 5: VMWare Player
○ Step 6: BMW DIS / GT1
• Started up BMW DIS, and waited for the main screen to appear.
• Easy-DIS said it was v1.0 - base 44, which I think is an earlier version than we need. However, on the Diagnosis screen it says DVD 57.0 - 03/2009 so will work with 2007 Z4
• Selected Diagnosis
• Selected series and model of car, and clicked green arrow in bottom right
• When prompted, plugged into ODB-II plug under a small hinged cover under dash on right side if driver side.
• Loaded, run quick test on the modules detected
• When complete, Right arrow to get to the results
• Selected an error and right green arrow
• Found transport mode, selected, right arrow
○ 'After deleting, must clear defect code memories of all modules using quick delete'
• Select delete, right arrow again
• Deleting, please wait
• Finished, left arrow all the way back?
• Selected end, and selected 'quick delete'
• Then terminate
• Car made some noises. Very worrying… but OK
• All done!

Checked, and I now have proper heating - thank god!

Hope this helps someone.

Easter.

(this is my first post other than the 'hello' post. Hope I've not broken any forum rules)
Interesting, never heard of this Transport Mode, but doing a search, im shocked how much there is out there about it !

I posted a few weeks back about my car not changing gear on the paddles or lever, but worked fine in full auto mode (its an Steptronic 6 speed box) and cant help but feel that this sounds very similar ie previous owner had let battery go completely flat and car had to be jumped to start it. But my rear windscreen element definitely works, and the AC light comes on even though its not very effective, so assume that this is different. ???

I guess what im asking is, has anyone else with an Auto ended up in Transport Mode and found the paddles wouldnt allow manual shifts ?

Ordered a cable yesterday, so hopefully I will be able to find out whats going on with the car.