Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Illuminated Shifter Knob DIY?

Tall Z Driver

Post by Tall Z Driver » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:07 am

Hello fellow Z enthusiasts. I recently got my 2003 3.0i (Black, manual, red / grey interior, sports package), and am l looking to install an illuminated ZHP shifter knob, but can't seem to find any instructions for the Z4.

Has anyone done this and could give some instructions or tips? Any DIY's out there specifically for the Z4? Any help would be great!

- Some folks recommend tapping into the cigarette lighter, but since the cigarette lighter is always on with the Z4 that would just drain the battery, no?
- I've also heard of a small light in the ashtray to tap into, but not sure exactly where that light is, how to do this, or if that light just functions w/ the headlights?
- Would it be possible to run a cable to the fuse box w/ a fuse tap and find a metal place to ground the negative? Could hook it up to a fuse that turns on when the lights do. I'm not very experienced with electronics but sounds simple enough.

Thanks all for the help!

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:13 pm

Interested in this too.
I wonder if you can modify an existing gear knob to add in the led?
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

DSGRNMCM

Post by DSGRNMCM » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:54 pm

I took off what I thought was my original shifter to fit a smaller ZHP one, and teh old one had wires for illumination but was not connected?

On an M car, which I thought would have been topspec?
E86 Z4m Coupe - Titan Silver, Stubby, Sun protection, Eibach springs, LED interior lights, CDV delete, Badge delete, Pipercross, Exhaust bypass
F11 520d, E46 328i, E91 320d, F21 120d, E46 318ti
Mk VI GTD DSG (Daily Hack)

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:30 pm

DSGRNMCM wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:54 pm On an M car, which I thought would have been topspec?
M's came with an illuminated one as standard, although mine had a ZHP fitted and the original slightly longer and lighter illuminated one in the boot! I'll probably try it before I decide which one to sell!

In answer to the OP's question I believe there are unused fuses in the fusebox so running a wire to one that's only live with the ignition on ought to work.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Umfaan

Post by Umfaan » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:44 pm

It would need to be wired to the light switch ....so as to go on with the lights. I have previously done this with a previous vehicle . (not a Z ) but same principle .

ICT Schaltknauf® Made in Germany....they do for a lot of different vehicles .

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:57 pm

I have an illuminated ZHP fitted to mine. Guy in Germany used to modify them.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33075

I did have a link to a write up to modify, I’ll see if I can find it.