Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to: Change Auto Transmission Fluid (E85 5 speed)

Anmarube

Post by Anmarube » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:01 pm

No need to explain dude. No worries.

Scott S

Post by Scott S » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:43 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:39 pm
Scott S wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:55 pmHi all

I drive a auto 2003 3.0, I read somewhere (the web) that the auto box is maintenance free. As I can't see a dipstick for that any where.

DLV the procedure you explained above, how long does that take to do, also does it have to be done

Scott

BMW say the box has lifetime fluid - However, other cars using the ZF5HP19 box DO have an oil change interval specified..

Personally, I'd not be happy with using the box say past 60k without changing the fluid. Yes, it doesn't have a dipstick so the topping up and level check procedure actually requires diagnostic equipment to read the gearbox oil temp, and there is a certain temperature window during which the level has to be checked.

Also, the car needs to be level when doing this, so you either need a pit, or a car lift.

It's about 90 mins to do the job properly, including changing the internal gearbox filter.

Bearing in mind just how complex these boxes are, and the number of rotating internal components and valves, I think it's a job well worth doing and certainly improved the performance and shift quality on mine..

Mike
Hi mike

Cheers for that. They video looks like complicated stuff ( to me )

It's defiantly something to seriously consider getting done.

Cheers
Scott

Anmarube

Post by Anmarube » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:53 pm

Scott S wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:43 pm
Ducklakeview wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:39 pm
Scott S wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:55 pmHi all

I drive a auto 2003 3.0, I read somewhere (the web) that the auto box is maintenance free. As I can't see a dipstick for that any where.

DLV the procedure you explained above, how long does that take to do, also does it have to be done

Scott

BMW say the box has lifetime fluid - However, other cars using the ZF5HP19 box DO have an oil change interval specified..

Personally, I'd not be happy with using the box say past 60k without changing the fluid. Yes, it doesn't have a dipstick so the topping up and level check procedure actually requires diagnostic equipment to read the gearbox oil temp, and there is a certain temperature window during which the level has to be checked.

Also, the car needs to be level when doing this, so you either need a pit, or a car lift.

It's about 90 mins to do the job properly, including changing the internal gearbox filter.

Bearing in mind just how complex these boxes are, and the number of rotating internal components and valves, I think it's a job well worth doing and certainly improved the performance and shift quality on mine..

Mike
Hi mike

Cheers for that. They video looks like complicated stuff ( to me )

It's defiantly something to seriously consider getting done.

Cheers
Scott

Mine felt so much better after I done the job...Smoother, Instant changes and kick down a dream..