How-to: Cheap brake upgrade

Post Reply
User avatar
Toe-side
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2071
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:31 pm
Location: In the 'Borders'

How-to: Cheap brake upgrade

Post by Toe-side » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:14 pm

For me I identified the models that shared the correct calipers and carriers and searched 'Breaking' and 'dismantling' of those models on the interweb. Searched a lot under 'E46' rather than 330
The carriers do have markings on them but you would not be able to see what the markings were fitted on a scrap car.

I made the judgement that if I found a car being dismantled that had those parts fitted as standard then........... 'bingo' :wink:
Before: 2003 3.0 Roadster, Porsche Boxster 987S Now 981S
Success breeds complacency. Complacency breeds failure. Only the paranoid survive

User avatar
Toe-side
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2071
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:31 pm
Location: In the 'Borders'

How-to: Cheap brake upgrade

Post by Toe-side » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:16 pm

Before: 2003 3.0 Roadster, Porsche Boxster 987S Now 981S
Success breeds complacency. Complacency breeds failure. Only the paranoid survive

User avatar
hopz121
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 3159
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:33 pm
Location: W London / Guildford Surrey
Contact:

How-to: Cheap brake upgrade

Post by hopz121 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:05 pm

Mega cheap!
Now - 2004 BMW E46 M3 3.2 Manual Coupe, Silver Grey :D
Gone - 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i M Sport Vert, Sapphire Black :(
Gone - 2010 BMW 123d MSport Hatch, Sapphire Black
Gone - 2006 Ford Focus ST3 3 Door Hatch, Performance Blue

User avatar
Toe-side
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2071
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:31 pm
Location: In the 'Borders'

How-to: Cheap brake upgrade

Post by Toe-side » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:34 pm

Thats what I thought! Nothing to do with me......... just browsing and I found them :o
Before: 2003 3.0 Roadster, Porsche Boxster 987S Now 981S
Success breeds complacency. Complacency breeds failure. Only the paranoid survive

User avatar
kis
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1693
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:33 pm
Location: Surrey / West Sussex Boarder

How-to: Cheap brake upgrade

Post by kis » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:06 am

Thanks! I had a quick look, already sold!! :headbang:
Rare '15 Plate E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 320ci, E46 M3, E90 (x2)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71
7 Series - E32

User avatar
kis
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1693
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:33 pm
Location: Surrey / West Sussex Boarder

How-to: Cheap brake upgrade

Post by kis » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:12 am

Toe-side wrote:For me I identified the models that shared the correct calipers and carriers and searched 'Breaking' and 'dismantling' of those models on the interweb. Searched a lot under 'E46' rather than 330
The carriers do have markings on them but you would not be able to see what the markings were fitted on a scrap car.

I made the judgement that if I found a car being dismantled that had those parts fitted as standard then........... 'bingo' :wink:
Thanks for the replies mate. I've done the same, a lot of the cars that come up, once I call up requesting the part they've already sold. It's apparently a very popular mod with the old 3 Series too, the e36. The odd occasion they do have them they're asking in excess of £100. It's been mentioned a few times that they can be had for around £60. So looking at that sort of figure £60-80 ish.
Rare '15 Plate E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 320ci, E46 M3, E90 (x2)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71
7 Series - E32

User avatar
kis
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1693
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:33 pm
Location: Surrey / West Sussex Boarder

How-to: Cheap brake upgrade

Post by kis » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:16 am

Found a reasonable one! Link here. I'm going to see if he'll let it go for a bit cheaper tho! :D
Rare '15 Plate E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 320ci, E46 M3, E90 (x2)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71
7 Series - E32

User avatar
cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 17694
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:50 am
Location: Lichfield, England

How-to: Cheap brake upgrade

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:40 am

kis wrote:Found a reasonable one! Link here. I'm going to see if he'll let it go for a bit cheaper tho! :D
Why wouldn't you just buy them and before posting? If the calipers are trashed then you can use them as cores to trade in. If not then you have a bargain.
Someone is likely to see the post and just buy them
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

User avatar
kis
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1693
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:33 pm
Location: Surrey / West Sussex Boarder

How-to: Cheap brake upgrade

Post by kis » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:41 am

cj10jeeper wrote:
kis wrote:Found a reasonable one! Link here. I'm going to see if he'll let it go for a bit cheaper tho! :D
Why wouldn't you just buy them and before posting? If the calipers are trashed then you can use them as cores to trade in. If not then you have a bargain.
Someone is likely to see the post and just buy them
Just bagged a set for £70 from a breaker I contacted over the weekend so all good! :D
Also, I know some people are like that. However I'd like to think that since this is a forum, of fellow enthusiasts, I'm among friends.
Rare '15 Plate E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 320ci, E46 M3, E90 (x2)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71
7 Series - E32

User avatar
cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 17694
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:50 am
Location: Lichfield, England

How-to: Cheap brake upgrade

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:45 am

kis wrote:
cj10jeeper wrote:
kis wrote:Found a reasonable one! Link here. I'm going to see if he'll let it go for a bit cheaper tho! :D
Why wouldn't you just buy them and before posting? If the calipers are trashed then you can use them as cores to trade in. If not then you have a bargain.
Someone is likely to see the post and just buy them
Just bagged a set for £70 from a breaker I contacted over the weekend so all good! :D
Also, I know some people are like that. However I'd like to think that since this is a forum, of fellow enthusiasts, I'm among friends.
Brilliant that you have got a set :)
In terms of 'trust' I agree and in general you are right, however at any time there are up to 500 guests on the site. There are 200 now as I post this .., so it's a wide audience
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

User avatar
kis
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1693
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:33 pm
Location: Surrey / West Sussex Boarder

How-to: Cheap brake upgrade

Post by kis » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:51 am

cj10jeeper wrote:Brilliant that you have got a set :)
In terms of 'trust' I agree and in general you are right, however at any time there are up to 500 guests on the site. There are 200 now as I post this .., so it's a wide audience
Yes, finally!
Noted about the second comment! I'll be more weary about things in future :?
Rare '15 Plate E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 320ci, E46 M3, E90 (x2)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71
7 Series - E32

User avatar
MrPT
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2908
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:44 pm
Location: London, isn’t it?

How-to: Cheap brake upgrade

Post by MrPT » Thu May 04, 2017 10:59 pm

Someone at the Duxford meet (apologies - cannot remember your name Mr '58 plate Montego Blue owner from Bucks who's going to LM with Airtrack this year) was sporting E46 M3 front discs on his 3L coupe - identified with the help of some Rain Man action from Stu Boy.

I had a look at the specs...
ADF5BBB5-CE66-47E9-AC93-BEF1D6601449-3438-00000510716A26B0.jpeg
ADF5BBB5-CE66-47E9-AC93-BEF1D6601449-3438-00000510716A26B0.jpeg (63.81 KiB) Viewed 479 times
DCC7C908-9CCA-4482-A03C-B889EB7C968A-3438-0000050F3B6E5249.jpeg
DCC7C908-9CCA-4482-A03C-B889EB7C968A-3438-0000050F3B6E5249.jpeg (22.37 KiB) Viewed 479 times
So ok... stock pads won't sweep the whole disc, and fresh pads and discs will be a bit of a squeeze, but the hub fits and the diameter is perfect.

Doesn't this make new or part-worn E46 M3 discs a decent upgrade option for 3.0si owners? They are nice, 2-piece drilled rotors and supply should be plentiful (in fact, I think a stock surplus is how the aforementioned gentleman secured these discs at a bargain price).
Image
Z4MC: SG/Imola|+CSLs|+KWv3|+Eventuri|+OEM strut brace|+DB9 front BBK|+cruise
Z4 2.5si: gone

User avatar
kis
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1693
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:33 pm
Location: Surrey / West Sussex Boarder

How-to: Cheap brake upgrade

Post by kis » Fri May 05, 2017 8:22 am

Interesting comment.

I think I did look into this but outlay seems to be quite a lot more than the 330, this is for parts whether new or second hand, and not sufficient gain. Also in terms of maintenance, just costs more because of the M name tag. Also I think the actual disc is the same (325mm) its just the thickness thats slightly more on the M. Obviously braking power of the M brakes themselves might be slightly more but not THAT much. Also some chatter on the 3 series forum about issues with the calipers being a direct fitment.

If it was a M3 CSL (which is 340mm or something) then this would probably be more "worth" it in terms of performance gains, provided everything fits. Wasn't too sure which is why I never pursed it myself. 330 is tried and tested...
Rare '15 Plate E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 320ci, E46 M3, E90 (x2)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71
7 Series - E32

User avatar
cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 17694
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:50 am
Location: Lichfield, England

How-to: Cheap brake upgrade

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri May 05, 2017 8:54 am

The whole purpose of this thread is for a cheap, easy direct swap and bolt on conversion.
Once you start to mix and match, add pads that don't fit, ///M parts it'sa different topic altogether.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

User avatar
MrPT
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2908
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:44 pm
Location: London, isn’t it?

How-to: Cheap brake upgrade

Post by MrPT » Fri May 05, 2017 9:43 am

cj10jeeper wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 8:54 am
The whole purpose of this thread is for a cheap, easy direct swap and bolt on conversion.
Once you start to mix and match, add pads that don't fit, ///M parts it'sa different topic altogether.
Fair point. I did think that "bolt on" 2 piece floating rotors and >5kg less unsprung mass for ~£200 was pretty good value, but yes - not cheap compared to the other options in this thread.

Point is probably moot now. Doing a little more digging, I think they were actually these OE option for the 3-series. And those definitely aren't cheap!
Image
Z4MC: SG/Imola|+CSLs|+KWv3|+Eventuri|+OEM strut brace|+DB9 front BBK|+cruise
Z4 2.5si: gone

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest