Brake Cooling - Cheap DIY method

User avatar
ChawenHalo
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1198
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:24 pm
Location: Bordeaux

Re: Brake Cooling - Cheap DIY method

Post by ChawenHalo » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:54 pm

Z4MC. ACS CF diffuser silencers side skits. Pagid RS29 & Goodridge. Gruppe M Bilstein B16PSS10 H&R ARBS. Delage Sport chassis. MPS2. Audi A8 4.2TDI 2008 runabout.
Image

User avatar
exdos
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2488
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:58 am

Re: Brake Cooling - Cheap DIY method

Post by exdos » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:52 pm

Ive just added another "how to" related to this mod: the fitting of solid brake bushes. It's here: http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... 34&t=45293

User avatar
Carol M
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 11054
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:33 am

Re: Brake Cooling - Cheap DIY method

Post by Carol M » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:24 pm

exdos wrote:Ive just added another "how to" related to this mod: the fitting of solid brake bushes. It's here: http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... 34&t=45293
Blatant last minute attempt to get 'Best how-to' write up in the forum end of year awards! :lol:

User avatar
exdos
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2488
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:58 am

Re: Brake Cooling - Cheap DIY method

Post by exdos » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:54 pm

Carol M wrote:Blatant last minute attempt to get 'Best how-to' write up in the forum end of year awards! :lol:
:rofl: The thought had never occurred to me, but now you mention it, will you be my campaign manager?

User avatar
Carol M
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 11054
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:33 am

Re: Brake Cooling - Cheap DIY method

Post by Carol M » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:01 pm

exdos wrote:
Carol M wrote:Blatant last minute attempt to get 'Best how-to' write up in the forum end of year awards! :lol:
:rofl: The thought had never occurred to me, but now you mention it, will you be my campaign manager?
Absolutely!

User avatar
Franzino
Member
Member
Posts: 818
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: Brake Cooling - Cheap DIY method

Post by Franzino » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:25 pm

A picture of my extra brake cooling set-up in action... The holes are next to the original brake cooling ducts. The OEM set-up is more tire cooling, then brake cooling. The extra cooling is directly aimed at the discs...

Image

User avatar
Toe-side
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2075
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:31 pm
Location: In the 'Borders'

Re: Brake Cooling - Cheap DIY method

Post by Toe-side » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:11 pm

Slightly off topic any more pictures of your car?
It looks ace........... wouldn't have ever considered gold wheels with a silver car but it seems to work.
Your brake cooling is now a scheduled winter mod. :thumbsup:
Before: 2003 3.0 Roadster, Porsche Boxster 987S Now 981S
Success breeds complacency. Complacency breeds failure. Only the paranoid survive

User avatar
Franzino
Member
Member
Posts: 818
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: Brake Cooling - Cheap DIY method

Post by Franzino » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:10 pm

Toe-side wrote:Slightly off topic any more pictures of your car?
It looks ace........... wouldn't have ever considered gold wheels with a silver car but it seems to work.
Your brake cooling is now a scheduled winter mod. :thumbsup:
My CSL wheels are not gold... (Maybe it looks cool?) They are dirty in this picture... This is how the car looks clean ;)

Image

User avatar
BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 5583
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:24 pm
Location: Back in the sunshine

Re: Brake Cooling - Cheap DIY method

Post by BMWZ4MC » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:41 am

Franzino wrote:A picture of my extra brake cooling set-up in action... The holes are next to the original brake cooling ducts. The OEM set-up is more tire cooling, then brake cooling. The extra cooling is directly aimed at the discs...

Image
Looks good, very discrete. Did you find significant benefits even with your AP set up?
Image
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use, now in Sydney; Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty;
Westfield SEiW track car currently in hibernation; S2000 GT - sold

User avatar
Franzino
Member
Member
Posts: 818
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: Brake Cooling - Cheap DIY method

Post by Franzino » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:17 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote: Looks good, very discrete. Did you find significant benefits even with your AP set up?
Because the OEM Z4M brake ducts are not the greatest in cooling the brakes I looked for something extra. I never had fading with the AP & Pagid set-up. But on some tracks the Pagid brake pads and AP disc were getting really hot. Sometimes I had a vibration steering wheels after some intensive hot laps (the brake pads get a little to hot and some pad material got stuck on the AP discs) . The extra cooling helps to address this problem...

User avatar
BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 5583
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:24 pm
Location: Back in the sunshine

Re: Brake Cooling - Cheap DIY method

Post by BMWZ4MC » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:11 pm

The OEM brake cooling ducts are just decorative as far as I can see! I've had exactly that from EBC Bluestuff pads on OEM discs. I'm going to try the brake cooling ducts before I spend a couple of thousand on brakes (although I am prepared to spend the money if I can't achieve the results I'm after).
Do you switch off the DSC on the track? I always turn it off, but on the rare occasion I've forgotten, the brakes have become extremely hot very quickly.
Image
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use, now in Sydney; Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty;
Westfield SEiW track car currently in hibernation; S2000 GT - sold

User avatar
exdos
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2488
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:58 am

Re: Brake Cooling - Cheap DIY method

Post by exdos » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:27 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote:The OEM brake cooling ducts are just decorative as far as I can see! I've had exactly that from EBC Bluestuff pads on OEM discs. I'm going to try the brake cooling ducts before I spend a couple of thousand on brakes (although I am prepared to spend the money if I can't achieve the results I'm after).
Do you switch off the DSC on the track? I always turn it off, but on the rare occasion I've forgotten, the brakes have become extremely hot very quickly.
Use a hand-held Infra-Red thermometer to check your brake disc/pad temps after being on track, with both OEM and cooling ducts to check if there's any difference. The hottest I've see immediately on stopping with cooling ducts is around 320 degsC.

User avatar
BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 5583
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:24 pm
Location: Back in the sunshine

Re: Brake Cooling - Cheap DIY method

Post by BMWZ4MC » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:52 pm

Hi John! I have one so I shall :thumbsup: I think the easiest way will be to fit the cooling ducts then to make test runs with and without bath plugs in the sink waste pipes :lol:
Of course, it'll be February before I'm back, so there will be added environmental cooling taking place too...
Image
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use, now in Sydney; Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty;
Westfield SEiW track car currently in hibernation; S2000 GT - sold

User avatar
exdos
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2488
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:58 am

Re: Brake Cooling - Cheap DIY method

Post by exdos » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:04 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote:Hi John! I have one so I shall :thumbsup: I think the easiest way will be to fit the cooling ducts then to make test runs with and without bath plugs in the sink waste pipes :lol:
:rofl: They were designed with testing in mind! :wink: 8)

User avatar
BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 5583
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:24 pm
Location: Back in the sunshine

Re: Brake Cooling - Cheap DIY method

Post by BMWZ4MC » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:28 pm

exdos wrote:
BMWZ4MC wrote:Hi John! I have one so I shall :thumbsup: I think the easiest way will be to fit the cooling ducts then to make test runs with and without bath plugs in the sink waste pipes :lol:
:rofl: They were designed with testing in mind! :wink: 8)
Clearly carefully considered, like all of your engineering projects :thumbsup:
Image
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use, now in Sydney; Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty;
Westfield SEiW track car currently in hibernation; S2000 GT - sold

Post Reply