Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

MOT emissions on a decat downpiped 35i

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:48 pm

So in your 2017 figures the figure of CO .026 is in excess of the limit of .020??!!

How can that be a pass??

You are also right on the margin, the slightest change to emission regulation and you will need to refit your cats.
Judging by the present rate of regulation tightening that may well be next year if the tree huggers get their way.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:46 am

Looks like there is a good chance anyone with pollution control equipment that has been modified /deleted will be in for a tough time with the new MOT regulations coming into force in May 2018.

No more HID upgrades to existing lights as well!

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... 7-vehicles

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:23 pm

mcbutler wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:48 pmSo in your 2017 figures the figure of CO .026 is in excess of the limit of .020??!!

How can that be a pass??

You are also right on the margin, the slightest change to emission regulation and you will need to refit your cats.
Judging by the present rate of regulation tightening that may well be next year if the tree huggers get their way.
Limit is 0.2, not 0.02.

Also any changes to the limits would not be retrospective. Otherwise you would have tens of thousands of cars rendered useless.

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:24 pm

Pbondar wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:46 amLooks like there is a good chance anyone with pollution control equipment that has been modified /deleted will be in for a tough time with the new MOT regulations coming into force in May 2018.

No more HID upgrades to existing lights as well!

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... 7-vehicles
The MOT guidelines state "Emission control equipment fitted by the manufacturer:missing, obviously modified or obviously defective." is a major failure.
Since the testers don't remove engine covers or under-trays then there is no worry for people modifying cars. If you remove the primary cats but not the secondary you are fine. Removing secondary cats would be very visible and also possibly fail on noise, but there is no performance benefit to doing so.

The new guidelines don't really offer any new hurdles. My old 320d has had it's EGR system disabled, swirl flaps removed and engine mapped but still passes the MOT without getting close to the emissions limits. There is also absolutely no way of telling if the EGR is disabled without taking the pipework apart.

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:17 pm

R.E92 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:23 pm
mcbutler wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:48 pmSo in your 2017 figures the figure of CO .026 is in excess of the limit of .020??!!

How can that be a pass??

Limit is 0.2, not 0.02.

Also any changes to the limits would not be retrospective. Otherwise you would have tens of thousands of cars rendered useless.
If that's the case how come the new 2018 emission regs for diesels are being applied retrospectively??
Remember this, the agenda now is to remove fossil fuelled vehicles from our roads over the next thirty to forty years, if you think they will not apply retrospectively (had to spellcheck that!) to petrol but will to diesel you are in fantasy land my friend.

In addition any small changes would not affect unmodified cars, only decatted cars running on the edge of the emission limits would be brought into line.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

willgill

Post by willgill » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:57 pm

Don't think you are right, the only change was related to DPF equipped cars and visible smoke from the exhausts.

Diesels came off worse, CO2 emissions for petrol cars weren't changed (at 0.2%)

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:32 pm

mcbutler wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:17 pmIf that's the case how come the new 2018 emission regs for diesels are being applied retrospectively??
Remember this, the agenda now is to remove fossil fuelled vehicles from our roads over the next thirty to forty years, if you think they will not apply retrospectively (had to spellcheck that!) to petrol but will to diesel you are in fantasy land my friend.

In addition any small changes would not affect unmodified cars, only decatted cars running on the edge of the emission limits would be brought into line.
They aren't changing the reg for emissions for older cars. If you follow the link in Pbondar's post and read the new MOT guidelines you see that they have just added additional checks for vehicles related to tampering as a way of keeping obviously modified boy racers off the road by taking action on dodgy after-market exhaust setups and eBay HID kits and nothing to do with forcing fossil fuel vehicles off the road.

The MOT regs even have a nice flow chart which you can follow which details the different limits depending on the cars age. If they bring in stricter emissions limits then they will only apply to cars produced after that date. Maybe China or India would make that kind of move, but the UK has a solid history of respecting pre-existing tech. As seen in the MOT exemption on classic cars.

The way government gets rid of old fossil fuel cars is easy. They incentivise electric cars to the point that new buyers decide an electric car makes sense, the old fossil fuel cars naturally depreciate over time until they become uneconomical to repair. In 20 years nobody will want to own a fossil fuel car other than enthusiasts.

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:57 am

So, as I read the MOT regs "ANY diesel vehicle producing visible smoke has a major fault". It does not say "any vehicle made after 2017 making visible smoke has a major fault".
It has already been announced that the UK plans ban sale of fossil fuelled vehicles 2040, that's not incentivising, thats banning.
It is patently obvious that this is going to get tighter and tighter as a pre cursor to this date and older cars will be targeted first, simply because they are the major polluters. Hence the ridiculous old diesel scrappage schemes.
Anyhow, time will tell...
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:03 pm

mcbutler wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:57 amSo, as I read the MOT regs "ANY diesel vehicle producing visible smoke has a major fault". It does not say "any vehicle made after 2017 making visible smoke has a major fault".
It has already been announced that the UK plans ban sale of fossil fuelled vehicles 2040, that's not incentivising, thats banning.
It is patently obvious that this is going to get tighter and tighter as a pre cursor to this date and older cars will be targeted first, simply because they are the major polluters. Hence the ridiculous old diesel scrappage schemes.
That is just to catch people with Euro5 and Euro6 diesels that have removed their DPF. Any car producing visible smoke is buggered and shouldn't be on the road in my opinion.

My 14yr old 320d winter car produces no smoke and it's had the EGR disabled and swirl flaps removed. It's just about looking after your vehicle.
The purpose of the MOT is to remove poorly maintained sheds from the road.
By 2040 nobody will want to buy fossil fuelled cars anyway so the major manufacturers will have stopped making them, probably struggle to find a petrol station by then.

stijohnny

Post by stijohnny » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:54 pm

jleckenby wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:49 pmImpressed you passed, how did you get around the readiness check? I had to fit a BMS fix to get it to show as ready.
I still failed miserably on emissions though!
I didnt do anything else to the car, it was remapped when the Cats were removed. I just dropped it off at the MOT station and picked it up later that day...
I'll put on the MOT emissions (pass or fail), this year too, it'll be the first week in August and I still have the old (catted) downpipes in the garage, just in case!

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:08 pm

R.E92 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:03 pm
mcbutler wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:57 amSo, as I read the MOT regs "ANY diesel vehicle producing visible smoke has a major fault". It does not say "any vehicle made after 2017 making visible smoke has a major fault".
That is just to catch people with Euro5 and Euro6 diesels that have removed their DPF. Any car producing visible smoke is buggered and shouldn't be on the road in my opinion.

My 14yr old 320d winter car produces no smoke and it's had the EGR disabled and swirl flaps removed. It's just about looking after your vehicle.
The purpose of the MOT is to remove poorly maintained sheds from the road.
By 2040 nobody will want to buy fossil fuelled cars anyway so the major manufacturers will have stopped making them, probably struggle to find a petrol station by then.
Currently having a new gearbox fitted in my Zee, popped over to check on progress. Place is an MOT station and they agree that this is just the beginning and is certainly backdated. They anticipate similar restrictions being introduced for petrol shortly. I said "it seems a bit harsh" to which the instant reply was "its because they want anything that's not electric off the road as soon as possible". We also discussed an engine that (I think he said BMW were developing) that was 250cc, triple turbo and over 250BHP!!! Great tech but why would you want a high performance gas car that's only half as fast as an electric car 0-60!!?? My brother drives a Tesla as his company car, its insanely fast and gets over 350 miles to a charge...................
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

stijohnny

Post by stijohnny » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:59 pm

stijohnny wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:23 pm I had my 35i fitted with decat downpipes a couple of months back when it was remapped and today it had the MOT!
Slightly nervous when the phone rang, it was the test center to say that the car had passed with no advisories.
So here are last years emissions (fully catted) compared to this years (decat downpipes).

Fast idle - CO 0.02(limit 0.2), HC 6(limit 200), Lambda 1.0(limit 1.05)
Natural idle - CO 0.01 (limit 0.3)

Fast idle - CO 0.026, HC 39, Lambda 0.996
Natural idle - CO 0.155

2018 (passed again with flying colours)
Fast idle - CO 0.064, HC 39, Lambda 1.001
Natural idle - CO 0.052