Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

First Drives

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Mr Whippy

Re: First Drives

Post by Mr Whippy » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:54 pm

I think my pre facelift 3.0 is too quiet, too refined and because of that a tad too compromised for comfort. Motorway work with a ragtop isn't exactly loud even at 90mph or so. Well, not for my expectations of a sports car anyway.

This new one must be a bit like a limo.

I'm glad Porsche are still making sports cars in the lower priced segment, and pretty much ignoring Merc/BMW with their luxo GT sports cars.

Boxster would be where my money would be going (if I had £40,000+)
04 3.0i, Titanium Silver, 107s, red m-sport interior

rollingstone

Post by rollingstone » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:07 am

I agree, though, with the author who notes that BMW knows who it is targeting with the new SLK, er Z4... those who are more into boulevard cruising than back road carving.

Perhaps that's where the Z2 will come in... BMW might be looking to have their cake and eat it too by offering two siamese siblings for different driving enthusiasts.
2007 3.0si coupe . jet black . dream red . premium . sport . bum-warming M seats . clear corners . euro visors . zhp . stubby . ipod . sans badges

sammyz

Post by sammyz » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:01 pm

Reviews this week in Auto Express and Evo mag condemn the car to role of boulevard cruiser. :thumbsdown: Evo usually get their reviews spot on and clearly the car is more SLK than Boxster.

That's not to say it's a bad car but it's focus is clearly not on honing the driving experience the way Porsche (Boxster) or Nissan (370Z) seem to be trying to do. Hope the Z2 will be a better car.
Yas Marina Blue 35i.

outrun

Post by outrun » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:01 pm

Mr Whippy wrote:I think my pre facelift 3.0 is too quiet, too refined and because of that a tad too compromised for comfort. Motorway work with a ragtop isn't exactly loud even at 90mph or so. Well, not for my expectations of a sports car anyway.

I'm glad Porsche are still making sports cars in the lower priced segment, and pretty much ignoring Merc/BMW with their luxo GT sports cars.

Apart from the hideous new Panamera Mr Whippy. Porsche doesn't make any great cars any more except the Gt2 and Gt3. Ther rest are far far too soft. I've had a lot of Porsches and nothing beats the 993 series for driver involvement. Porsche have been getting softer and more mass market ever since.
2007 z4mc carbon black - gone but not forgotten. The guy I sold to still has it, maybe one day I will buy it back.
Now - Maserati Gransport with many mods. Sounds incredible.

Mr Whippy

Post by Mr Whippy » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:43 am

outrun wrote:
Mr Whippy wrote:I think my pre facelift 3.0 is too quiet, too refined and because of that a tad too compromised for comfort. Motorway work with a ragtop isn't exactly loud even at 90mph or so. Well, not for my expectations of a sports car anyway.

Apart from the hideous new Panamera Mr Whippy. Porsche doesn't make any great cars any more except the Gt2 and Gt3. Ther rest are far far too soft. I've had a lot of Porsches and nothing beats the 993 series for driver involvement. Porsche have been getting softer and more mass market ever since.
The 993 Turbo 4 and 996 GT3 (mk1) are my faves. Not really a fan of any of the more modern stuff (despite the nicer interiors)

I think given the current market, if I wanted a sporty roadster, it'd be the Porsche Boxster S, or if I wanted a sporty GT roadster, it'd be the SLK350. I'm not really sure where the Z4 lands now. I don't think it'd answer my needs anyway. The interior alone ruins it vs the E85 timeless looking minimalism.

Dave
04 3.0i, Titanium Silver, 107s, red m-sport interior

rabman5

Post by rabman5 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:41 am

Interesting end to the autocar article.
autocar.co.uk wrote: The problem is that it is not quite as involving behind the wheel as its high-end price tag might have you believe. With this in mind, we await the arrival of the Z4 M with interest.
I still don't like it. :( :thumbsdown:

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Rick Hunter » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:35 am

I was thinking... this could be an intelligent marketing ploy by BMW. Like.. back in the day when Coca Cola introduced the New Coke, and it was bloody shite, then they brought back the original formula packaged as the "Coca Cola Classic," and then people bought it up like mad. :?

I'm going to the fridge now to enjoy a nice glass of Pepsi.
'07 Imola Red Image Coupé

EdP

Post by EdP » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:52 am

Adam D

Post by Adam D » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:39 pm

Drivers republic first drive:

http://www.drivers-republic.com/first_l ... 2323d7d608

It does appear they have made a car perfect for menopausal women :rofl:
Silver Grey 2007 Z4MR which needs to be driven more :evil: :P :cool: :D :thumbsup:

ksher
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ksher » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:41 pm

Current BMW: 640d Gran Coupe M Sport (F06), 118d SE (F20).
Previous BMW: Z4 sDrive23i M Sport (E89), 318i Sport (F30), 120d SE (F20), Z4 2.5i Sport Roadster (E85), 523i Sport (E60), 323Ci (E46), 523i SE (E39), 318i (E36).